SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stiff slide release?

Hey guys. New to the Sig world, just picked up a P226 Legion on the recommendation of the LGS. Always wanted a P226, but hadn't heard of the Legion before.

Problem is, the slide release is super stiff. Like, so stiff I almost need to use both thumbs to activate it. Normal for a new, unfired, uncleaned/lubed gun or unusual enough to return to the LGS?

Thanks for your input. I look forward to poking around these forums a bit more.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Welcome to SigTalk JustDisGuy. Congrats on the Legion. I'll let someone else chime in on you question. The 226 legion is on my want/NEED list but I haven't owned one... yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! After I posted, I did a bit of Googling using the correct :)banghead:) terminology, and it seems it's just part of the break in period.

Appreciate the responses - call this case closed!

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Congratulations on your new SIG!

closed . . . okay! Glad you got 'er figured. Many people "slingshot the slide", pull it back with weak hand and release, instead of using the release lever.

Do be sure to clean and lube it before taking it out shooting. Grease sliding stuff like rails, barrel, barrel lug etc (don't forget top of frame rails. Oil the pivots and things that turn.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Welcome from Texas and congrats on your Legion.

My wife's used P239 had the same issue - put a parts kit in and it's all good now.
Not that she used the slide catch/release anyways (always slingshots the slide) but I thought it should work as intended.

Reactions: JustDisGuy

·
Registered
188 Posts
Earlier this week, my 229 Legion arrived. After a good cleaning and lube I went to a local range. I shot 250 rounds with no issue. Like you this is my first Sig and my de cocker and mag release were very stiff.

Earlier today, I spoke with a Sig customer service rep. He owns a Legion and works with other Legion owners. He advised this is normal and will loosen up with more shooting and or light oil. Since I shot last night I did another cleaning. Just prior to putting everything away, I put a small drop of oil on my finger and rubbed the mag where the release engages. Made a BIG difference with all three magazines. I did not remove the grips and oil the de cocker. I'll let nature (more range time) handle that one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its odd, my 229 legion in 40 was dang near impossible to release with just a thumb reach, even after 150ish rounds. My 226 legion in 9mm even before I fired it was as easy as any weapon I have ever owned.....go figure

·
Registered
42 Posts
Its odd, my 229 legion in 40 was dang near impossible to release with just a thumb reach, even after 150ish rounds. My 226 legion in 9mm even before I fired it was as easy as any weapon I have ever owned.....go figure
That's because the Legion is assembled, not fitted as a custom gun would be. Therefor due to variations in parts tolerances, some may be tight, and some easy to manipulate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts