SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shot Sterling 9mm ammo? Any good? Found a local deal 1000 rounds for $545

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Never heard of the brand. Here is a link to their website. Looks like it is made in Turkey. Turkey makes a lot quality firearms if that is an indicator.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Never heard of the brand. Here is a link to their website. Looks like it is made in Turkey. Turkey makes a lot quality firearms if that is an indicator.

Sounds like ammo is good but price is Not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought 1500 rounds of Sterling 9mm. Got the worst jams ever. Two in my Glock 17, and 1 in my 19. Almost broke off sights trying to get the swollen rounds out of my guns. So I threw 600 rounds in a bucket, took one of my barrels out, and individually dropped a round in the barrel. Of 600 rounds, 100 didn't even come close to fitting, another 100 slid most of the way into the barrel. But not all the way. The remaining 400 slid in and fell back out when I turned the barrel over. So, I sent them back to the ammo supplier. He promised a refund. Lets see what happens. View attachment 387554 View attachment 387556

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Turkish ammo has had some serious problems over the years. Unlike their firearms made by computers

Their M855 5.56 was touted to be match quality and it was some of the worst 5.56 ever made

Friends don't even let people they don't like shoot Turkish ammo
You have to really have it in for someone to recommend Turkish garbage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone shot Sterling 9mm ammo? Any good? Found a local deal 1000 rounds for $545
I just sent back 1500 rounds. Got some of the worst jams ever. Rounds were swollen. After taking a closer look almost 1/3 of them were unusable. Too fat. Let me know about your experience with Sterling, plz.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,722 Posts
That stuff sounds awful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I ordered "American Munition" 9mm. Says "new" not factory remade. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I need a device that can check sizes of cartridges, many at a time. Does such a thing exist?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess a 1/2 inch steel plate with the right sized drill bit in a drill press should give a close indication? All the good ammo costs way too much to practice with. So it's either check risky ammo, or put the guns away for awhile!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased 200 rounds at a LGS a few weeks ago. I was at the range on Sunday and I too had the worst jam ever. I had to pull back on the slide with all I had while by buddy dislodged the round. I just came across this thread and started testing the remaining 190 rounds and am seeing exactly what you described above. They are swollen and do not fit in the barrel. I haven't called the LGS yet, but I can't imagine they will take them back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called the LGS and surprisingly they offered to take care of it by checking each round and replacing the bad ones. Not so sure I want any of them though. I'm not the only one who had the problem they said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I called the LGS and surprisingly they offered to take care of it by checking each round and replacing the bad ones. Not so sure I want any of them though. I'm not the only one who had the problem they said.
Glad to hear that people are aware of this issue. Hopefully suppliers will stop distribution of these things.
I've kept about 400 rounds. Only kept the ones that slipped in and out easily. Haven't had a chance to shoot more of them yet, but from what I shot in the past, it seems like the charge is consistent. Judging simply by sound and feel of kick. I will post if I run into more trouble.

·
Registered
West German P226, P320X V-TAC
5 Posts
Late on the thread here but glad I found it after what happened on our range today. I missed this event due to RSO'ing at another local event but got the back story from coworkers that were on the range during a class when this happened to a student's new Springfield Hellcat. See picture below.

Student brought in a 50 round box of Sterling 9mm 'Manufacturer Reload' purchased from LuckyGunner.com (This ammo is still listed). On the 30th round of the CWP qualification and final round in that magazine, the round exploded, destroying the magazine, blowing the extractor out the side of the firearm and slightly down range, and damaging the feed ramp of the barrel. From what was explained, the Bullet did leave the barrel during this ammunition failure. Luckily there were no major injuries sustained but the Hellcat owner was pretty shook up to say the least, without too much detail.

The parts of the firearm collected, unspent ammo, and spent casings are being sent to Springfield for examination. Not sure if we personally will hear back on their opinions or the full damage report for the Hellcat (It did appear to hold up well aside from the damage I mentioned). The ammunition was not advertised or marked as high pressure loads. I did not hear any reports of feeding issues or other malfunctions/stoppages in the first 29 rounds fired.

None of the other instructors had heard of this ammunition brand but my guess is it that it is new to our market.

For the above posts describing swollen rounds, were these the 'Manufacturer Reload' or new brass versions? I am seeing both offered for sale.

Thanks and stay safe out there!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts