SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 220 SSE arrived today! Huzzah!
What products should I consider to clean and lube the weapon? With my other pistols I use CLP, Rem Oil and regular gun grease for high friction points. Are all of these safe for the stainless steel? Should I add an additional product?

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Congrats on your new P220 SSE!! These are beautiful pistols - that will last a VERY long time too!

Cleaning & lube is as important with this stainless weapon, as with other guns. I'm no materials engineer, but have several stainless pistols. Keeping these gals clean & shiny has always blown-up-my-skirt, so perhaps I'm a little OCD here.

You may be interested to know that both SIG X-Five stainless pistols I have shipped with a tube of grease that looks like Super Lube grease to me. SIG's manual suggests using this grease on friction points to mitigate stainless steel's tendency for galling.

EDIT: I should add that the specific lube element that's effective in preventing stainless steel galling is PTFE, and Super Lube grease has a version that includes this stuff. I'm sure there are other brands available too.

So, keep her cleaned & lubed with the products you mention, and perhaps a little Super Lube-like grease on the rails - and you should be good for a looong time...

Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,970 Posts
I also have a P220 SE......perhaps my favorite gun to shoot....

I just use the same cleaners as I do for all my other guns....foaming bore cleaner, CLP, Slip 2000 grease and oil.

Reactions: Jtmagic

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,619 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. This is what I have used on all stainless firearms, that I have owned, without problems, for lubrication.

Where do you apply the SS lube? On all friction points? Instead of grease on the slide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
A good grease on the rails (I use lubriplate), oil or clp from a needle dropper on other wear points. The same for everything I have.

I have a 229 E2 stainless, and love it.

Congrats!

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Right, the sliding friction points are your rails, underside of the slide where the barrel hood slides and the top front of the barrel. Mr Willard's Birchwood product is a petroleum based product, whereas Super Lube with PTFE is synthetic. Given Mr Willard's recommendation, they'll both serve you well...

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts