SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my first ever squib round. Couldn't hear anything except a click, but then at this indoor range with ear muffs on and shots being fired that's not surprising. I thought at first it was a misfire and pulled the trigger again. The slide did not cycle, and in fact neither the range officer nor I could get the slide open. Called the gunsmith that they have at the range. He took the gun for a few minutes and then came back, showed me the bullet that was stuck in the barrel, which only just engaged the rifling. He said that only the front of the case expanded which is what made it hard to get the slide to open. The ammo was GECO 180gr, which I always thought of as high quality ammunition. Anyone else experience squib loads in factory ammo? I am a bit uneasy now about this ammo that I have a couple cases of...

·
Premium Member
22,526 Posts
Fyi, the gunsmith most likely put the gun upside down in vise.
Clamping the slide, then smacked the frame with his hand or mallet.

Squibs happen even in the most expensive ammo.

Be safe.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This type of squib is the reason that many LEOs carry backup guns.

A second pull of the trigger is excellent practice provided the slide didn't cycle. The second pull may ignite a hard primer, overcome a fouled firing pin channel or ignite a hang fire.

Bill
Exactly. This is another reason to love DA/SA. Second strike capability can resolve all kinds of minor malfunctions (esp the common ones you mention) without having to resort to corrective measures. I can imagine this being the case if you were under stress and don't normally train these actions and might just be focused on pulling the trigger.
These malfunctions specifically relate to a carry gun that might be more susceptible to getting filled with dirt, dust, lint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.