SIG Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought some reduced power (-15%) firing pin springs from Europe by Eeman Tech. Apparently they are the ONLY manufacturer of these nice, seemingly high quality springs. I also had some Armory Craft spring kits laying around and noticed that their FPB springs are indeed lighter than stock - and very nicely made.

- Why doesn't someone just provide the TWO in a kit with say a 19 and 18 LB mainspring and provide something many would want? (Cajun GW has basically started an empire on this).

- Does the P6 and P228 and German P220 have a different FPB SPRING?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
My research suggests (please verify for yourself) that the following models all use the same firing pin spring:
P220, P225/P6, P226, P228, P229, P239, P245, SP2009 and SP2340.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes - thanks - FP springs are all the same. What about the FP Block? Thanks.

·
Registered
21,585 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a couple of those reduced power firing pin springs. I got them when I was considering running a 15lbs mainspring in my X-Five Allround but at the end of the day I didn't like how the gun felt with the lighter mainspring. Recoil was much more "violent" and snappy.

I've ran a 16lbs spring for 3000 rounds and a 17lbs spring for 5000 before starting to get a couple of light strikes so to me, swapping the firing pin spring isn't necessary.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Correct if I am mistaken but FP springs are to insure the FP is retracted after firing a round to prevent slam fires so should have no affect on setting off the primer

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I like to run Wolf/Tula in my SIGS. It’s cheap and runs great in them. I also like a 19 lb spring and believe that a reduced FP spring helps. It does in my CZs . Running an 18 or 19 LB spring should not increase recoil too much but I get your point. Slam fires are impossible with the SIG safety system.

The eemantech springs look high quality. Just want to make sure these will work in my FOLDED SLIDE SIGS. They are growing. 😎

The FP spring looks the same but not the FPB spring:

https://youtu.be/FFi39RRVrmY

Anyone know for sure?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
Safety Lock springs are different between folded and milled slides. Here is what Numrich / Gun Parts Corp. shows as the only vendor that continues to show the older parts, even if no longer in stock. Since they show different between P220 and P226/P228 I would assume they are slightly different, when one is in stock, and the other not.

This would be the one for P226/P228... https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/904970

This is what is shown for P220... https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/467200B

This is for milled P220/P226/229/P239s... https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/872730A

There was someone on eBay offering parts another member recently posted about from New Jersey. They have the old part numbers, but Numrich uses their "own". This individual on eBay I Assume, may have picked up these springs from a Government Auction, possibly from the US Arsenal that serviced the US M11s, as they are advertised, (shown) in "bulk" packaging. https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?ite...B6rHH49OoWO&_ssn=xm15e2s&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
Correct if I am mistaken but FP springs are to insure the FP is retracted after firing a round to prevent slam fires so should have no affect on setting off the primer
Yes, your assumption is correct, it's to prevent inertia of the slide closing causing the weight of the Firing Pin possibly to indent the primer, such as happens with inertia style Firing Pins, such as the M1 Carbine, M1 Rifle, M14, SKS, AK47/AKM.

The situation though with Sig using the Firing Pin "Safety" system, makes the spring "redundant".

In this case the OP is trying to reduce "resistance" to the Firing Pins forward movement, by reducing the firing pin springs tension, allowing for a lighter mainspring, without having misfires from light primer strikes.

·
Registered
21,585 Posts
...Slam fires are impossible with the SIG safety system....
Only if the firing pin spring is strong enough to fully retract the pin and hold there while the safety lock spring pushes the safety lock far enough down to block the firing pin. Which, of course, suggests that the safety lock spring should have a minimum strength rating.

Remember, all those springs are "matched to each other" to provide the right amount of force needed to function properly and safely. Any time you start trying out lighter springs for the sear, firing pin or safety lock, make sure you continue to stick to the four rules of firearm safety. Because you may inadvertently create a firearm that isn't as safe as before.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only if the firing pin spring is strong enough to fully retract the pin and hold there while the safety lock spring pushes the safety lock far enough down to block the firing pin. Which, of course, suggests that the safety lock spring should have a minimum strength rating.

Remember, all those springs are "matched to each other" to provide the right amount of force needed to function properly and safely. Any time you start trying out lighter springs for the sear, firing pin or safety lock, make sure you continue to stick to the four rules of firearm safety. Because you may inadvertently create a firearm that isn't as safe as before.
Understand. The reduces EemanTech springs are still viable and substantial - reduction of 10% and seem very well made.

I've also found that Armorycraft FP Block springs are reduced power.

The only problem is that my folded slide SIGs are growing and they use a different FP Block spring. While its stiff, I don't think the firing pin spring is too weak to function.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts