SIG Talk banner
221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Double stack magazines rattle to some degree. i quit carrying my P7M13 because the magazines rattled like gypsy dancers with castanets and tambourines were following me around...Seems like i sold it to finance another 1911 custom...

Folks, I have never seen anyone have a tranquil life trying to get a 9mm double-stack 2011-type 1911 run 100% reliably. It's ain't gonna happen. Just save yourself money, heartbreak, and high blood pressure and take the plunge on a Wilson Combat EDC-X9-L. Buy once, Cry once. Oh, and don't try to save a paltry few bucks by stuffing it into a holster that it "sort of" fits in...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Double stack magazines rattle to some degree. i quit carrying my P7M13 because the magazines rattled like gypsy dancers with castanets and tambourines were following me around...Seems like i sold it to finance another 1911 custom...

Folks, I have never seen anyone have a tranquil life trying to get a 9mm double-stack 2011-type 1911 run 100% reliably. It's ain't gonna happen. Just save yourself money, heartbreak, and high blood pressure and take the plunge on a Wilson Combat EDC-X9-L. Buy once, Cry once. Oh, and don't try to save a paltry few bucks by stuffing it into a holster that it "sort of" fits in...
I don't know, I have two dozen 2011's that have always been 100%. Every failure I've seen on that DS says magazine to me and I know how to fix/tune those.
I do have a EDC-X9 and I wish I could say the same for that gun.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Who’s spring did you order? For a 5” or 4.25”?
Wolfe 14lb for the 4.25 gun first 500 round. Zero feeding issues. I have now gone back to the 12lb spring with no issues. I do think the heavier spring allowed everything to polish up and run in better and I will run it when shooting hot loads because running the hot NATO loads with the 12lb spring was not pleasant.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
None of my Prodigy mags rattle when fully loaded.

Mine runs just fine so far, and I have over 500 rounds through it at this point. The only thing it hasn't liked was some Fiocchi 147gr FMJs. But I've also seen plenty of 'high end' 1911s that didn't like 'this' or 'that' particular load either, but otherwise ran just fine. Part of owning a reliable 1911, as I'm sure you know, is determining what is going to feed reliably in that gun, and then sticking with it. Spending another $2k doesn't necessarily alleviate that.

No, it's not a Wilson Combat, nor a Nighthawk, nor a Staccato. Nor do I have any illusions that the Prodigy is trying to be one of those, nor have I said that I think it competes with any of those. At the same time, it's not a 'budget' gun, either, imo. Everything on mine is solid and well-fitted and exactly what I would expect from a $1500 1911.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wolfe 14lb for the 4.25 gun first 500 round. Zero feeding issues. I have now gone back to the 12lb spring with no issues. I do think the heavier spring allowed everything to polish up and run in better and I will run it when shooting hot loads because running the hot NATO loads with the 12lb spring was not pleasant.
This was/is my plan, as I figured a heavier spring for even more break-in and subsequent hot stuff. I've had no issues with mine shooting 115gr and 124gr ammo while using my 4 20rd and single 27rd mags. My 3 17rd mags needed some "special attention" inside the upper feed lips to smooth out some rough spots, but no "rattling" in any of my fully loaded mags (17, 20, or 27).

Granted, I completely cleaned & lubed, dry fired, and mag pre-loaded a great deal BEFORE I fired a single round in my 4.25" Prodigy. Only issues have been early 17rd mag feeding and "limp wristing"/shooting lazy. I'll finally get around to using some good 147gr ammo in my Prodigy this coming week, as I use 147gr predominantly with my 9mm TFS pistols with cans.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I posted over at Armory Life that I finally had a look at the sear spring this morning and I am not surprised some guys are having disconnector issues. Both center and left were pretty tight. Production gun with and production averages. I spent about 45 minutes tweaking and testing and now have about a perfect trigger at about 2.75 pounds. Hard wall, crisp break, good reset. I will let it set in and then may not even have to polish anything.

Sleeve Font Sunglasses Personal protective equipment Eyewear

Of course, this a Sig forum and my Legion 226 SAO beat it a bit. Lol It is stock with just the Sig Armour strut and his polished 20lb spring.

Product Font Metal Fashion accessory Brand

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh No! The Staccato wouldn't run Sig V Crown. Better feed it over and over and over with the stuff show it failing again and again. Keep taking it to the range and wish that chit to run. Break the gun down to figure out solutions. How dare they even bring that to market. Sick of the shills says this thing runs. Yeah if it is hand picked for a gun tuber, but not the rest of us. Shame Staccato shame!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Put another 200 rounds through my 5” today with the 12lb recoil spring and it was solid. Love how flat shooting this thing is. I’ve got between 6-800 through it in total now with others having another couple hundred through it. Hell if alot of fun to shoot.

can’t wait for my RMR plate to come though… I have a venom that fits in the plate if the plate is not on the gun 🙄 but the venom is just a bit to long on the front side when it’s on the gun. Tempted to just throw the hex plate away lol

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I put some time into my Prodigy today.
First, I disassembled my mags. Two 17 round and two 20 round. Yes, there were burrs and rolled over edges on the feed lips. Burrs in the inside edges. The 17 round mags were the worst. I honed them smooth and cleaned everything up. I then ran a silicone cloth through and reassembled them. Smoother.
Then I decided to look at the extractor tension.
As I posted previously, on the failure to feed, it appeared as though the rim wasn’t getting under the extractor.
Well, this thing was tight! It had a death grip!
Removing the extractor was difficult at best. The claw wouldn’t get off the breech face. It was a chore to get it past that surface. Once I did, I had to put the back of the extractor in a brass jaw vice and pull on the slide to remove it!!! This thing had quite an arc!
So I went through the tuning process. I may have it a bit loose, but we’ll see. I can always tighten it up.
Reassembly and disassembly is much better now.
The extractor channel/bore was full of crud. As well as the firing pin channel/bore.
I have always tuned the extractor on a new 1911 when I initially stripped, cleaned, and lubed it. I don’t know why I didn’t when I cleaned this one. I guess I just wanted to shoot it
So, I hope to get back out this week and see if things have improved.
The Prodigy is stupid accurate and so easy to shoot well. I just need to get past the occasional failure to feed. 😎

·
Registered
507 Posts
Glad you dug into it. The geometry of this extractor set up from the factory seemed wonky to me. Did my final extractor tune this morning. I had it realy close but was getting a slight bit of clocking. So I did the old school extractor barrel tweak. I use the Atlas Gun Works 2011 test for tightness which is quite a bit more tension than a standard 45ACP extractor. On the bench everything is perfect. The test will be the field. But I have done this enough to know that there is a 90% chance everything will be perfect. The first round, next to last round, last round and round with no mag are almost identical. All ammo feeds perfectly even with a lot of intentional slide thumb drag (man the serrations are sharp..ouch) and the 12lb spring. Now the decision on an optic and then some deeper dive ammo testing and we will have this thing perfect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I had another couple FTF on mine, pulled the barrel and did the plunk test with a few type of factory ammo and my reloads. Also compared to 4 other barrels ( sig, cz, Glock )
Both reloads and factory rounds passed in the other barrels, but had some hornady and federal did not pass in the prodigy.

Found an old box of brass tula and it only went like 3/4 in on the prodigy but passed in the others although it was a little tight in the CZ. (SP01 barrel, was fine in the P10c )

Pretty tight chamber apparently. Not sure I want to deal with Springfield warranty as I’m sure they are going to be backed up with these things. Tempted to send it out and have it reamed

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
So I had another couple FTF on mine, pulled the barrel and did the plunk test with a few type of factory ammo and my reloads. Also compared to 4 other barrels ( sig, cz, Glock )
Both reloads and factory rounds passed in the other barrels, but had some hornady and federal did not pass in the prodigy.

Found an old box of brass tula and it only went like 3/4 in on the prodigy but passed in the others although it was a little tight in the CZ. (SP01 barrel, was fine in the P10c )

Pretty tight chamber apparently. Not sure I want to deal with Springfield warranty as I’m sure they are going to be backed up with these things. Tempted to send it out and have it reamed
Do you have calipers to measure the internal width of the chamber? If so, I'd be curious what the result is.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm watching this thread closely , though I know jack about 'em as my experience is limited to a few mags through a friend's example. That said I was interested enough that IF they were to bring forth a .45 or perhaps even .40 I may well buy one. No I'm not opposed to it in 9mm , I've just too many in too many differing platforms as it is. Having recently fallen down the H/K rabbit hole again.

Personally I think they will be missing a bet if they don't bring out the full range of chamberings , price point wise it should sell quite well in .45 or at least I would think so.

Carry gun , sure as long as it passed the break in and torture test. Best hope is that it would turn out to be a better Para-Ordnance.........

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
So picked up a Dillon case gauge and checked 100 of my reloads quick. All passed the gauge. 5 won’t pass the prodigy…. She’s definitely a little tight
Not too surprised. I had some issues with some re-manufactured in mine the other day as well. I'm sticking to decent quality factory ammo for my Prodigy.

221 - 240 of 245 Posts