SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting into rifle shooting at my local range -- 200 and 300 yards.

Looking for recommendations for a spotting scope that I would be able to see 223 holes from 300 yds.
I realize its a pretty small hole but Im hoping I might be able to find something under $300. Will be used strictly for target shooting.
If its possible to connect to my android tablet that would be a big plus but not a requirement.

Ive been looking at the konus 7120 or 7122 but there are a lot of conflicting reports about their performance at 300.

· Registered
668 Posts
My buddy has a Konus, we normally shoot steel so i'm not sure how .223 holes in paper would look at 300. but we've used it for shooting steel at 1,000 and it works great. I've never used another spotting scope so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it's doing what we need it to do and for a good price. I know I couldn't see holes at 700 from a .308 but we never tried closer with .223. I wish I could make it out sooner to try for you and let you know, but I don't think I'll be able to anytime soon

· Registered
3,759 Posts
In really good conditions using reactive targets you may be able to see .223 holes at 300 yards but in that price range you are probably SOL. You are better off spending $100 on a spotter than $300. You aren't going to see a huge difference in that price range. You'll really need to step up your quality of glass if you want to spot 223 holes past 200 yards.

The vortex viper (45x) is probably your best bet to make it out that far. It's good glass at the cheapest price. You're going to need to double or triple your budget though. I suggest you keep saving for a while.

· Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Looking for recommendations for a spotting scope that I would be able to see 223 holes from 300 yds. .
Not quite as simple as it sounds. There are a ton of variables to consider and as you note, .223/5.56 at 300 is difficult. If you're shooting at "Shoot & See" targets, under the right conditions, the best lower cost spotting scopes may have difficulty.

I have a MeoPro 80 HD. Hardly a $300 spotting scope. Punching normal paper targets in daylight conditions with sun behind us, .223/5.56 is still difficult to see at 300 at times. "Shoot & See" targets at 300 are no problem.

I previously had a Nikon Sky & Earth spotting scope. There was no way it could see a .223/5.56 hole at 300.

Bear in mind that in summer, heat signatures have to be contended with. See attached example. That was taken with a 400mm lens. Temp was about 75° and the sun was high and slightly behind us. The target steel you see are 200, 500, 800 and 1000. The hits you see on the first target at 200 yards is .308. Bear in mind that is a clean white target with hits from 175 gr bullets. Note how the hole at the top of that target is already disappearing in that photo. At another 100 yards under the same conditions - that hole would be very difficult to see. That hole --- is 1/2 inch in diameter - see attached 4 inch steel target...;)

We normally spot at @ 30X to keep heat waves to a minimum. Zooming in more than that and heat signatures are more of a problem.

Good luck.

Attachments

· Registered
5,987 Posts
After buying a nice rifle optic, my spotting scope budget was pretty limited too. My choice was to go with a $200 glass that isn't that different than a $400 scope in the field, while that proper $1k scope may come around later.

Redfield was probably saved from bankruptcy when Leupold bought them. Leupold has since upgraded Redfield's product line, and industry sources say Redfield's glass now comes from the same (Chinese) plant as Leupold's.

The tripod that comes with these is a throw-away, but the scope itself works surprisingly well. I like the straight eyepiece - it's easier to look downrange to locate your target in the very narrow field of view you see in these scopes. The glass is pretty good, and the focus & power rings are smooth.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...armored-with-case-neck-strap-and-tripod-black

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.