SIG Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some gel shooting today and after I was finished I decided to shoot a round off that I had laying around. A Speer .45 ACP 200gr JHP. Yes the legendary Flying Ashtray. I only had one, unfortunately, so I could not do a proper test.

One round in Clear Ballistics gel out of a Sig 1911. Impact velocity of 984fps and it expanded to .75 inches! Just look at that big flat bullet. However that large expansion had a cost of only allowing it to penetrate to 11 inches.

I wish I had more so I could test it properly. I’m going to look around and see if I have more laying around.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A member on another forum was kind enough to donate six bullets for testing. Obviously working up a load with only six bullets wasn’t an option so I went with 7.8gs of Longshot. According to Hodgdon’s I should get around 1000fps. I’m going to shoot them sometime next week and let everyone know how they did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.