SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some gel shooting today and after I was finished I decided to shoot a round off that I had laying around. A Speer .45 ACP 200gr JHP. Yes the legendary Flying Ashtray. I only had one, unfortunately, so I could not do a proper test.

One round in Clear Ballistics gel out of a Sig 1911. Impact velocity of 984fps and it expanded to .75 inches! Just look at that big flat bullet. However that large expansion had a cost of only allowing it to penetrate to 11 inches.

I wish I had more so I could test it properly. I’m going to look around and see if I have more laying around.

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
Speer's stuff is pretty good.
But the Lucky Gunner Tests on the Remington .40 STILL has my vote.

13 inch penetration after 4 layers of Denim. And a measured diameter of .80 inches.
From a .40 caliber bullet.

And that was the average of 5 shots.

The winner and still champion.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A member on another forum was kind enough to donate six bullets for testing. Obviously working up a load with only six bullets wasn’t an option so I went with 7.8gs of Longshot. According to Hodgdon’s I should get around 1000fps. I’m going to shoot them sometime next week and let everyone know how they did.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Guys...this is cool, sure, but it really doesn't matter all that much. Until you get into the kind of energy dispensed by rifles rounds, this notion of "expansion" really is a moot point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts