SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Was almost never a revolver guy, I bought duty pistols as my first choice and used them in the military. We always carried a spare mag full, if not two. Standard field issue.

Then CCW came around and you could actually carry around town - major change up. What I watched and read changed, too - for the most part early CCW didn't carry a spare much, it was an LEO specific guidance and the reason was that cops off duty or not are still required to respond to the sound of gunfire, so to speak. The CIVILIAN DOES NOT HAVE TO - his responsibility is to get home in one piece especially if family is with them. The Civilian isn't supposed to pop up out of his zone, draw, confront and force a showdown. The Civilian doesn't need to be armed for a long term standoff or multishot gunfire exchange - in fact, it's been determined it's a quick way to Valhalla attempting to engage in a gun battle with no idea who or how many perps are actually involved. Being "the Good Guy" does not automatically give you an "Angel's Eye View" and there are plenty of stories now of them getting gunned down dead on the spot.

The emphasis on a second magazine isn't coming from CIVILIAN concealed carry sources, it's coming from LEO practices being handed down as advice - contrary to the actual principals of common sense and tactics for a CIVILIAN. And why do we go along with it? BECAUSE COPS. We think cops and their training are the standard for carriers when in fact LEO/MIL are not the recommended techniques to survive a gun encounter, they are exactly the wrong things to do in many situations.

I know someone will come along to dispute that so when you do, explain the tactic for a 30 something Mom with a 6 month old in her arms, two toddlers in tow, and a shopping bag while walking to her car at the Mall. Insert that in a carefully crafted fake scenario where she can shoot move communicate all while taking fire, returning it, loading her spare mag, calling 911 on the phone, and then triumphantly surviving to kick the perps senseless and detain them for the police.

Do you see where a lot of that "cop stuff" tends to run off the rails really quick when reality intrudes? Because males like to play testestosterone games in forums to create social status profiles they are massive bad boys capabable of singlehandedly jumping into Afghanistan and recapturing our abandoned equipment. Well, you better work on keeping your kids safe from measles the refugees are proving to be spreading now, all over Virginia.

Extra mag falls into if you need it and don't have it, you are screwed. If you have it and don't need it, hopefully it doesn't drop into the toilet.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Reactions: rmfnla

·
Registered
842 Posts
Have any of you civilians.......
Just what exactly is a civilian? I hate that term. It's derogatory.

However, I agree with you about not carrying a spare mag. I don't and I never have. I read an article somewhere in the last year where a gun writer had done some research. He could find only two documented cases of an armed individual doing a combat reload in the course of a self defense shooting. Two. Out of how many tens of thousands?

The reality someone would ever need to do a combat reload is extremely unlikely. I understand the concept of being prepared but how much is enough? If one extra mag is a good idea then two is even better, right? How many is too many?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

A spare mag isn’t just for reloading after running dry but also in the event there is a issue with the mag in gun.
That may never happen but it could.

I carry a spare mag but it’s not because I’m anticipating a ferocious gun battle it’s just to be prepared that I could need it.

Many here may probably never fire their gun in self defense but we prepare to do so with training and practice etc. Not because it will happen but it may.

To me the opinion of “Why do you need a spare mag is just a extension of why do you need a gun? Why do you need more than 10 rounds? Why do you need 45 ACP? Why do you need a AR? Why don’t you have a manual safety? Why do you have a manual safety. Why do you need a semi auto pistol? Why are you carrying a revolver? And on and on.

I’ve always found it ironic that in the 2A community. We’ll go after the anti gun community and then go after anti manual safety people, 9mm people, spare mag people, gun mod people, polymer gun people within the community.

We all believe in the Right to Bear Arms but always have a problem with what others choose to bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No one is trying to take away your second magazine. In which case you are far better off with a duplicate gun, which is how I carry.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
I'm thinking a belt fed is in order.
This is nothing new here these days, I'm surprised it made the news.

They are straight up executing each other in the street no matter what time of day too, that rarely makes the news either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
No one is trying to take away your second magazine. In which case you are far better off with a duplicate gun, which is how I carry.
Dang! Now I have that possibility to wrestle with.🤔 To all who responded to my question - I do understand the desire for magazine backup. It is just something that I do only if traveling away from home overnight, especially with my family. I am not certain why I do that. Just seems like the right thing to do. Just wondering if I am bucking the odds when I don’t have a spare mag on me.

Again, not critical of anyone but I did suspect that there were very few instances where non-LEOs (is that preferable to “civilians“?) were called upon to reload their pistols. I will admit to feeling a little uneasy when carrying my J frame with only 5 shots. But when carrying a pistol loaded with 13 to 16 rounds on board I feel that the only realistic need is for a magazine malfunction. And, the only magazine malfunction I have personally experienced was at the range using a really old, probably junk, GI 1911 magazine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Was almost never a revolver guy, I bought duty pistols as my first choice and used them in the military. We always carried a spare mag full, if not two. Standard field issue.

Then CCW came around and you could actually carry around town - major change up. What I watched and read changed, too - for the most part early CCW didn't carry a spare much, it was an LEO specific guidance and the reason was that cops off duty or not are still required to respond to the sound of gunfire, so to speak. The CIVILIAN DOES NOT HAVE TO - his responsibility is to get home in one piece especially if family is with them. The Civilian isn't supposed to pop up out of his zone, draw, confront and force a showdown. The Civilian doesn't need to be armed for a long term standoff or multishot gunfire exchange - in fact, it's been determined it's a quick way to Valhalla attempting to engage in a gun battle with no idea who or how many perps are actually involved. Being "the Good Guy" does not automatically give you an "Angel's Eye View" and there are plenty of stories now of them getting gunned down dead on the spot.

The emphasis on a second magazine isn't coming from CIVILIAN concealed carry sources, it's coming from LEO practices being handed down as advice - contrary to the actual principals of common sense and tactics for a CIVILIAN. And why do we go along with it? BECAUSE COPS. We think cops and their training are the standard for carriers when in fact LEO/MIL are not the recommended techniques to survive a gun encounter, they are exactly the wrong things to do in many situations.

I know someone will come along to dispute that so when you do, explain the tactic for a 30 something Mom with a 6 month old in her arms, two toddlers in tow, and a shopping bag while walking to her car at the Mall. Insert that in a carefully crafted fake scenario where she can shoot move communicate all while taking fire, returning it, loading her spare mag, calling 911 on the phone, and then triumphantly surviving to kick the perps senseless and detain them for the police.

Do you see where a lot of that "cop stuff" tends to run off the rails really quick when reality intrudes? Because males like to play testestosterone games in forums to create social status profiles they are massive bad boys capabable of singlehandedly jumping into Afghanistan and recapturing our abandoned equipment. Well, you better work on keeping your kids safe from measles the refugees are proving to be spreading now, all over Virginia.

Extra mag falls into if you need it and don't have it, you are screwed. If you have it and don't need it, hopefully it doesn't drop into the toilet.
Ironic as how many Civilians are trained by ex-LE, ex-Military and so-on. Whether it's a self-defense course, armed security and just plain exercise of 2A, the training usually comes from someone with an institutionalized training background.
You're narrative seems to carry a vitriol on the subject. Maybe not be totally parallel but it could might as well be a Dakota Meyer moment. I apologize, I digress.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
750 Posts
Conveniently, Sig itself has weighed in on this discussion! :D

Reactions: Benson X

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
750 Posts
Ah…great minds think alike! :LOL:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I read posts here by many people about how many spare mags and how / where they carry them. I am not trying to be a smart *** but I just have to ask this question:
Have any of you civilians every had to reload your automatic pistols as a result of running dry in actual use (excluding training drills and range use)?

I have read all the American Rifleman reports of armed citizens fending off the bad guys over the last 50 years and I don’t recall a single instance of an armed citizen needing to reload during an active encounter. Could be just my faulty memory but…

I don’t normally carry a spare mag and I am certainly not knocking anyone who carries a spare mag. I do understand the need to be adequately prepared but I have always wondered if the need for a spare mag is real or REALLY theoretical. It just seems to me that the unlikely event of needing to draw a gun, coupled with the really unlikely need to fire the gun, coupled with the REALLY, REALLY unlikely probability of emptying the mag in the pistol causes me to question the need for a spare mag.

How about it? Has anyone had to reload during the course of action?
Oddly sig sent this email update on their blog today. Link to the blog, fits nicely in you topic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read posts here by many people about how many spare mags and how / where they carry them. I am not trying to be a smart *** but I just have to ask this question:
Have any of you civilians every had to reload your automatic pistols as a result of running dry in actual use (excluding training drills and range use)?

I have read all the American Rifleman reports of armed citizens fending off the bad guys over the last 50 years and I don’t recall a single instance of an armed citizen needing to reload during an active encounter. Could be just my faulty memory but…

I don’t normally carry a spare mag and I am certainly not knocking anyone who carries a spare mag. I do understand the need to be adequately prepared but I have always wondered if the need for a spare mag is real or REALLY theoretical. It just seems to me that the unlikely event of needing to draw a gun, coupled with the really unlikely need to fire the gun, coupled with the REALLY, REALLY unlikely probability of emptying the mag in the pistol causes me to question the need for a spare mag.

How about it? Has anyone had to reload during the course of action?
You’re probably right….but it only takes once, I guess?🤔.
I’ve never heard of anyone being able to call “time-out“ either.😏
Be well.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I sawr that. I’m thinking of sewing a pouch to the inside of my left front pocket of all my cargo pants and trousers. Until then just the 13 rounds of 357 Sig is all I got.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oddly sig sent this email update on their blog today. Link to the blog, fits nicely in you topic.

Good article.

"If you are carrying a quality firearm with a magazine capacity of at least 10 rounds, the likelihood of needing a backup magazine should be minimal."

Exactly why I chose the P365 in the first place.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Good article.

If you are carrying a quality firearm with a magazine capacity of at least 10 rounds, the likelihood of needing a backup magazine should be minimal."

Exactly why I chose the P365 in the first place.
I hate to tell you this, but I had my 365 to the range a few weeks ago with 3 different mags and one that I hardy use was giving me issues but haven't had time to look into it. Sigs are not immune. :confused:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good article.
"If you are carrying a quality firearm with a magazine capacity of at least 10 rounds, the likelihood of needing a backup magazine should be minimal." Exactly why I chose the P365 in the first place.
My thought as well, how many rds do you really think you need to carry for EDC?
I've been carrying since the 70's and I only had one single time I actually fired my Browning Hi-power. It was with factory 13 rd mag.
I was driving my Chrysler 66 rag-top (with my top down) and behind a Pontiac trans-am driving slow.
All of a sudden he pulls to side of rode, this huge guy with blond long rat tail hair gets out with baseball bat coming towards me calling me "OK you MF".
I quickly grabbed my Hi-power, changed from half-cock to full cock, punched the car, went around him, shot one round in the air. At night you also see the fire from pistol.
He, dropped the bat and said, "It's Kwe, it's Kew"
I knew then I was safe and he would not follow me and I drove off to my class (college)

To this day I have no idea of why he did what he did and I did not want to hurt anyone if I could avoid it.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts