SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I don’t carry an extra mag but I do like to keep at least 15 mags for each pistol I have. Unloaded of course. I think I have 20 for the DW. Only 3 for the GCNM lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ahhh...comfort level vs logic.

For years a Titanium 5 shot .38 was my daily "rescue tool". Small, light, concealable, and effective with 158 gr. SWCHP's. A speed strip was on hand as well. Never needed it. Always felt "comfortable" with the tool and loads. Summer of 2020 activities around the country and the resultant "attack" on anything Christian/2A/Trump supporter/unvaccinated/ etc etc etc. moved me to reconsider the "likelihood" of multiple assailants. I had moved away from semi-autos to .38/.357, but found myself not quite "comfortable" anymore.

The P365 platform was appealing on many fronts. Size, weight, capacity, and Sig's reputation. I found I could have a pistol the size of my former Kahr K9 with the capacity of my former Browning Hi-Power. I moved to the 365 platform. I now have more rounds in the pistol than I previously had in both my .38 snub and speed strip. Yet, I also have 2 spare magazines in my bag.

Unlikely I will ever use them, or need them, or be the victim of multiple assailants. But I am "comfortable" knowing the "peace of mind" that comes from my emergency rescue tools.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The answer is highly subjective and depends entirely on how you train. If you bother to do malfunction drills, and do them correctly, then you will carry an extra Mag. If, on the other hand, you think malfunction drills are a waste of time, then certainly that extra mag will probably be a waste of time also.

I have seen a couple mag issues with guys that I consider very well trained. I have also seen accidental mag drops. With both scenarios, the guys who do malfunction drills regularly, did a much quicker job assessing the issue and reloading.

I do skip the extra mag more than I should. I live and work in upscale neighborhoods for the most part, and do become complacent. If I’m ghetto bound, my carry firearm and method, along with available reloads becomes more of a concern. My goal is to come home to my family. If a situation ever arose, where I felt like I needed multiple extra mags on my person, there would have to be a substantial issue in front of me. My first response would be to not go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I read posts here by many people about how many spare mags and how / where they carry them. I am not trying to be a smart *** but I just have to ask this question:
Have any of you civilians every had to reload your automatic pistols as a result of running dry in actual use (excluding training drills and range use)?

I have read all the American Rifleman reports of armed citizens fending off the bad guys over the last 50 years and I don’t recall a single instance of an armed citizen needing to reload during an active encounter. Could be just my faulty memory but…

I don’t normally carry a spare mag and I am certainly not knocking anyone who carries a spare mag. I do understand the need to be adequately prepared but I have always wondered if the need for a spare mag is real or REALLY theoretical. It just seems to me that the unlikely event of needing to draw a gun, coupled with the really unlikely need to fire the gun, coupled with the REALLY, REALLY unlikely probability of emptying the mag in the pistol causes me to question the need for a spare mag.

How about it? Has anyone had to reload during the cours of action?
One, its like insurance if you ever need it you're glad you have it, if you did need it and don't have it you're SOL.
Unless you're packing a PMR-30 ;)

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
750 Posts
Was this a previously “proven” reliable mag? We’re you able to determine what part of the mag failed?

I don't know how you define "proven" -- I had used it before with no issue, and it was only a few months old. It failed "suddenly" with a spring/follower problem. I don't know exactly what caused it, and after disassembly inspection, and reassembly I couldn't recreate the failure.

I've encountered similar issues with other brand magazines over the years -- enough that I'm willing to carry an extra just in case.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
When I feel the need to personal carry, it's 5-shot J-frame in my front pocket, Mika sleeve with no extra ammo on my person. I figure if 5 ain't enough for an unexpected life-defending emergency when I'm on foot, something major went horribly wrong and 5 more probably won't help. However, if something does go horribly wrong, whoever is the cause had better hope I can't get to the spare tire well in my KIA Sportage, There ARE some extra mags.
Brown Luggage and bags Textile Bag Rectangle

·
Registered
772 Posts
OP
Like many have already mentioned .. The point of failure in a semi auto is usually the magazine. I dont have stats on how often it happens but I have been around shooting people and have been shooting a while and invariably if a gun acts up its mag related.

I think I read that most Civi shootings end in 3 rounds .. maybe .. maybe not so you alone can determine your comfort level. Its not nessesarly that you will get in a shoot out with an entire Hells angels group and need 30 rounds but .. maybe you need ten and your gun freaks out at 5

I rarely carry an extra mag but if I am going places I feel may be more risky .. I will throw one on. I do practice malfunction drills just in case

·
Registered
P365XL/P226
209 Posts
A spare mag isn’t just for reloading after running dry but also in the event there is a issue with the mag in gun.
Bingo. Hard to clear a malfunction involving a problem with the mag...if you don't have a spare mag.

Our training agency 'strenuously encouraged' Deputies to carry a spare mag off-duty. As such, I will carry a spare mag on body and normally have a couple of extras in an EDC sling bag I have with me or at least in the car.

and never in my years has the American civilian been at such risk on home soil.
Strongly agree with this statement. Whether it's one individual on drugs or multiple attacker or a flash mob the risks to the private citizen have increased, particularly in recent years.

I heard it said that there are only two times you can have too much ammo; you're on fire or swimming.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'll echo many of the above comments. I carry a spare magazine, whether it's a six round mag for a Walther PPK or 12 round mag for a SIG P365. I'll also carry a speed strip with 6 rounds whenever I carry a revolver. It's not so much about the number of rounds I'm carrying, but it was ingrained in me at an early time in my gun-toting career that you always carry a reload. I'd feel half-dressed without it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

I’ve always found it ironic that in the 2A community. We’ll go after the anti gun community and then go after anti manual safety people, 9mm people, spare mag people, gun mod people, polymer gun people within the community.

We all believe in the Right to Bear Arms but always have a problem with what others choose to bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Whoa, whoa!

I’m not the enemy!!! I am not judging anyone - thought that should have been obvious but I guess it wasn’t. I am only interested in seeing how many times the need has arisen. You can carry a whole case and it is fine by me.

I wasn’t asking why or asking anyone to justify the practice - we are all on the same side here. I am only asking if and how many times anyone here has ACTUALLY had the occasion to use the spare mag in the real world.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Like so many others I was a revolver man my entire life. I considered the 1911 my high capacity firearm. Always felt comfortable with a j frame and speed strip. Often carried a k frame with a strip and a couple loaders when traveling or passing through an urban area.

But, things have changed and after seeing so many attacks and traveling and encountering some flash mobs on the interstate, 6 is not enough anymore and neither was my 1911. When traveling it is a 226 with 17 round mags and 2 spares. The 3 15 rounders loaded in the legion bag and a 365x with 3 mags. I occasionally run around town with just a 356x but often carry an extra mag. If riding the Harley with my wife I always carry an extra mag and she has her LCR.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
You should carry a spare magazine just in case the magazine in the gun malfunctions.
That's why I carry a 642 ... no magazines , no safeties, no hammer .... no problems. Pull trigger it goes bang ... every time... 😎

·
Registered
15,808 Posts
The majority of My Semi Auto Pistols came with an extra mag. I carry an extra mag as a choice. I would say that 99.7 percent of people that carry will Never have to draw on someone unless They are in Law Enforcement, As for extra mags I try to get at least 15 extras besides the one(s) that came with the gun,but that's just Me. With the Revolvers I carry two speed loaders.I do the same with Mags from My AR Rifles

21 - 40 of 105 Posts