SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read posts here by many people about how many spare mags and how / where they carry them. I am not trying to be a smart *** but I just have to ask this question:
Have any of you civilians every had to reload your automatic pistols as a result of running dry in actual use (excluding training drills and range use)?

I have read all the American Rifleman reports of armed citizens fending off the bad guys over the last 50 years and I don’t recall a single instance of an armed citizen needing to reload during an active encounter. Could be just my faulty memory but…

I don’t normally carry a spare mag and I am certainly not knocking anyone who carries a spare mag. I do understand the need to be adequately prepared but I have always wondered if the need for a spare mag is real or REALLY theoretical. It just seems to me that the unlikely event of needing to draw a gun, coupled with the really unlikely need to fire the gun, coupled with the REALLY, REALLY unlikely probability of emptying the mag in the pistol causes me to question the need for a spare mag.

How about it? Has anyone had to reload during the course of action?

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I carry one spare mag.
Same reason that I have a spare tire in the trunk.

I'm certain I will not be in a drawn out gunfight but I have one just in case.

Too many times I have been on the wrong side of need it and not have it for various things.
A 365 mag is small enough to pack around without needing a chest rig.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

A spare mag isn’t just for reloading after running dry but also in the event there is a issue with the mag in gun.
That may never happen but it could.

I carry a spare mag but it’s not because I’m anticipating a ferocious gun battle it’s just to be prepared that I could need it.

Many here may probably never fire their gun in self defense but we prepare to do so with training and practice etc. Not because it will happen but it may.

To me the opinion of “Why do you need a spare mag is just a extension of why do you need a gun? Why do you need more than 10 rounds? Why do you need 45 ACP? Why do you need a AR? Why don’t you have a manual safety? Why do you have a manual safety. Why do you need a semi auto pistol? Why are you carrying a revolver? And on and on.

I’ve always found it ironic that in the 2A community. We’ll go after the anti gun community and then go after anti manual safety people, 9mm people, spare mag people, gun mod people, polymer gun people within the community.

We all believe in the Right to Bear Arms but always have a problem with what others choose to bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I get where you're coming from. When I carry my 642 (which is most of the time), I do carry a loading strip in my pocket. ( five in the gun +6 in a strip.) But the times I carry my 320 SC (12+1) I don't carry extra mags on me. I usually keep a mag in the car and a box of ammo too. As I say ..."I'm not going to war .. I'm just going to the store".

I can see both sides ... one of being prepared and having back-up, I get that .... but I'm a realist, and I know in my real world I'm a bit of a minimalist .... I like to travel light. That's why I carry a 642 in the first place. Day to day I really don't like to lug around too much stuff. I keep a lot of gear in my SUV so I can carry the least on me.

And with cooler weather right around the corner that means breaking out my favorite jackets ... woohoo !! ... more pockets!! ... 🦝

·
Registered
813 Posts
I see the value and agree with the carry an extra mag belief but admittedly I am lazy about it. When running off to the store I insert my 229 into holster and go. On occasion I force myself such as higher risk activities, road trips etc. I always have a duplicate 229 in my car so whenever driving I have 2 P229s and their respective mags so covered there. Maybe carrying an extra mag will be my New Years resolution this year :)

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
762 Posts
As others have said, the highest failure rate item in a semi-auto pistol is the magazine. Carrying an extra mag (to me) has less to do with capacity and everything to do with having a back up to a traditionally high failure rate item. Do I absolutely need one? Well, I won't know until "that day" comes -- but it's relatively cheap and easy to carry an extra mag just in case.

I'm comfortable that the 14 rounds in the gun are sufficient for any real world situation I might face -- but they're only adequate if I can get them into the gun (and preferably not one at a time through the breech!).

·
Registered
995 Posts
I always carry a spare mag tor the same reason several others have stated. Not necessarily only for the round count, but for reliability since mags are a malfunction point.
Now the Vertex pack in the back seat with the AR9 & & 6- 33 round stick mags, THAT c hit is for when I'm attacked by hoards of ZOMBIES when running down to the convenience store for snuff......

·
Registered
813 Posts
As others have said, the highest failure rate item in a semi-auto pistol is the magazine. Carrying an extra mag (to me) has less to do with capacity and everything to do with having a back up to a traditionally high failure rate item. Do I absolutely need one? Well, I won't know until "that day" comes -- but it's relatively cheap and easy to carry an extra mag just in case.

I'm comfortable that the 14 rounds in the gun are sufficient for any real world situation I might face -- but they're only adequate if I can get them into the gun (and preferably not one at a time through the breech!).
Like everyone else here , I am aware of the semi auto magazine failure” stat but would love to get more inside the numbers on that stat. Main question is whether there is a common denominator to these mag failures stats? If we eliminated all instances where the mags were inherently low quality (eg Promag etc) and then eliminated range mags that have been dropped hard for years and have many thousands of rounds through them, would it substantially alter the mag failure stats? I have never had a mag failure in any Sig mag whether it was one of my dedicated range mags or my pristine EDC mags (tested prior to use and a full mag shot thorough once a month).
Have any of you ever had a lightly used and proven funcional Sig mag fail on you?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Everything depends on how far from home travel and if any issues outside.
I have 16rds pistol and just going a few blocks to store no extra mags.
Traveling long distance where I may stay overnight extra mags or two pistols with mags.

LOL, I know TV they can shoot 50rds from a six-shooter but in real life nope.

"Placement is everything"

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
762 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I sometimes carry an extra mag. My training says I should always not only sometimes.
Here's a situation where the defensive shooter changed mag, but it's a tactical or administrative reload:

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Honestly the way things are going I may just start tossing my AR and gear in the car also.

This was a couple miles from my house.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts