SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just would like to ask your opinion, guys. Do we need a spare barrel for our Sig pistols? Thanks

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
I think that the barrel will likely far outlast you unless you shoot a number of rounds in the 5 digits.

Or you neglect the gun so bad the bore completely rusts up.

Or you get a squib, don't realize it, and fire another round ruining your barrel.

Reactions: Bulljack

·
Registered
19,517 Posts
I really doubt you'll wear out a barrel, so a spare barrel is not needed. The smaller parts and springs are more likely to fail. I do have a few spare .40 S&W barrels for my .357 SIG guns, but that's a little different than what you're asking.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What they both said.
The only "spare" barrels I have lying around are different calibers.
If you're needing to replace barrels often, then you either have a copious amount of expendable ammo in which case we should be friends, or it's you and not the barrel

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have a spare barrel for my M11-A1 only because it came factory with a threaded one and I wanted a standard one to shoot and carry.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
Bulljack, other than what GBIA touched on, unless you have an endless source of free steel jacketed ammunition, or corrosively primed ammunition, that you can't refuse, you should be all right! But, hey!!! for free ammo, another barrel would be paid for in about 1k rounds... just saying!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
If you find an exceptional deal for a new barrel like say $100.00 shipped it certainly would be nice insurance but as mentioned spare part kit and certainly a couple spare recoil springs is a must.

A backup barrel? Why not, it won't eat anything
(I have a spare but it is threaded just in case that hearing protection act passes)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My MK25 doesn't see a lot of action since it's an EDC CCW. Although, I do bring it to the range on occasions for some drills and practice time, but ammo spent during these sessions are close to 200-300 rds FMJ 124gr and sometimes 147gr. No +P ammos used. Ammos are expensive here, more than a dollar a piece! So a 300 round range session would mean that I would spend close to $300 for ammo.
I don't abuse my gun and I spend adequate time for cleaning and maintenance.
Spare parts are hard to come by here and for a barrel to appear in the market is a rare thing. One came up but the price is relatively high, about $600. Having some thoughts in getting it but I opted to ask you guys first if it's really a must to get a spare barrel.

Thanks for your inputs, it helped a lot for my decision. I'll pass on it.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Barrels can be had on occasion for $100 shipped. I got one here for that brand new

Sig sells them as does Midway (along with springs and part kits) and others and for $600.00 you can buy a used P226

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a whole lot of spare barrels, but it's just because I replaced them with Barsto's. Honestly, I don't think there are many that would wear one out and even less would know if the did.

·
Registered
981 Posts
There are other, more worthwhile things you can spend your money on - I have nearly 40,000 rounds thru a P226 and it's fine.

I believe Sig rates them at a standard service life of 50,000 rounds.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Aside from high round counts, I considered a spare barrel to use steel cased ammo. I got a 9mm barrel for my 40 SP2022 for the aforementioned $100 shipped. Still haven't shot any steel cased ammo lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts