SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this when looking at shop.sigsauer.com and verified it with Sig. They do have an SP2022 that has a manual safety. I have a two year old boy and worry about him causing an accidental discharge in the right circumstances. I would feel better knowing there is essentially one more safety feature. Any thoughts from other members would be great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I came across this when looking at shop.sigsauer.com and verified it with Sig. They do have an SP2022 that has a manual safety. I have a two year old boy and worry about him causing an accidental discharge in the right circumstances. I would feel better knowing there is essentially one more safety feature. Any thoughts from other members would be great.
I would say in your circumstance, a good gun safe and redundant safety measures are a must. Mag and ammo separate. Pistol in a the gun safe. When your son gets older, you may even want to think about a cable lock in addition to the above. However, you have to consider your particular needs for the pistol. i.e. Home defense? If so, then, you have other issues that needs to be addressed for all to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
If that's what you want, go for it.

Personally, I think the safety's in the wrong spot and may be difficult to engage/disengage with your thumb since it rotates in the opposite direction.

Get a small gun safe instead.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for you input. Both of you make sense and I would definitely like to get a safe. One of the biggest worries I have would be when I am holding him or playing with him(which is all the time). But like XDJYo mentioned, redundant safety measure would have to be a must. I guess I was thinking when I am home it could be put up and out of the way. A holster that covers the whole trigger would help me feel better. And you are right saudadeii about the location of the safety, it does look rather weird as though it was an after-the-fact idea they had. All this to make my wife happy. I know how to be safe with my firearm, but she not very educated and this is the first gun she has seen with other safety features.

Once again, thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A safety is not really safe. My 2022 is loaded and has a round in the chamber 24/7 and I use the decocker. If it is not on my hip it is in a quick access safe on the kitchen counter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not sure of this helps but here goes. My daughter is 6 1/2 and I had the same reservations as you do. After a lengthy talk about gun saftey and answering her questions I let her hold my SP2022. My curiousity got the best of me and I had her attempt to pull the trigger. She could not as the amount of trigger pull it takes in DA was too much for her. Needless to say racking the slide was out of the question, which is fine by me. For this reason I do NOT keep one in the chamber but magazine is loaded yet still with in a small distance from me. I was a little Leary at first, but my daughter is mature enough to know not to go anywhere near any of our guns without asking and only in the presence of myself or her mother.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts