SIG Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new 9mm SP2022 for christmas. Since then I have shot 500+ rounds through it using a variety of ammo. I mostly use Winchester 124 gr, but have also used fiocchi, sig sauer ammo, and a few other brands.

I went to the range about a week ago with a new box of HPR JHP 9mm 124 jacketed hollow point rounds. Every single one in the magazine of 15 jammed the gun. I was very frustrated, so I switched back to Winchester and it worked flawlessly.

After a thorough clean and lube of the pistol (I have cleaned it every time before going to the range), I went to the range again yesterday. I shot two magazines of Winchester ammo, then tried the HPR again. The first 8 rounds shot well, and then from there, 3 of the last 7 jammed.

Anyone have trouble shooting certain types of ammo through their SP2022? Do I need to only use certain brands? Am I cleaning my gun wrong?

As a beginning shooter any tips on how to avoid jams would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sounds like weak ammo. Does it feel weaker than other when you shoot the HPR? Take a look on the interwebz about HPR 9mm being loaded weak, I think you'll find your answer.

Alternatively, as you put more cycles on the recoil spring, your pistol may shoot the HPR just fine.

Reactions: Parkdub

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wyo7200! I thought something like that may be the case because it improved the second time I used them... I might just need to break in the gun!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I personally would scrap the HPR, and if you have no issues with any other ammo (both fmj and jhp) then I'd put it out of your head. HPR is crap. I never had FTF issues with it, but I experienced EXTREME bullet setback when chambering a round of HPR 124 GR JHP (hornady projectiles). Brand new round, chambered once, I would experience a very noticeable amount of setback. After chambering the same round a second time, it was set back so much I would not feel safe shooting it. I will never buy HPR again.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
This is the perfect example of why HD/SD ammo must be tried in any handgun that you plan on running it thru. Some brands just are not liked by some handguns.
I run Critical Duty, and HST SD ammo in the 3 Sigs that are in my carry rotation.

Others will be along with some answers for you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I personally would scrap the HPR, and if you have no issues with any other ammo (both fmj and jhp) then I'd put it out of your head. HPR is crap. I never had FTF issues with it, but I experienced EXTREME bullet setback when chambering a round of HPR 124 GR JHP (hornady projectiles). Brand new round, chambered once, I would experience a very noticeable amount of setback. After chambering the same round a second time, it was set back so much I would not feel safe shooting it. I will never buy HPR again.
You sure that's a "Hornady projectile" ?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If the stuff is crap (I don't have any experience with it) ignore this. I initially had a feed problem with Pow 'r Ball so I polished the feed ramp, and the problem went away.

Does sound like time for different ammo.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Could be you're shooting with a limp wrist and it's causing the failures to eject. I have not experienced any problems shooting any type of 9mm rounds through mine. Granted, I've never shot the HPRs before either.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I shoot only Fiocchi ammo in my SP2022 - 115 FMJs at the range and 124 JHP for carry. I have, of course, shot some of the JHP at the range. I have had no problems at all with my SP2022.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had never heard of that brand of ammo before so I looked it up. Seems like a strange bullet profile and I'm going to guess that is the root of your problem. If it works fine with other brands, I would stick with those.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My SP2022 eats everything.

I've gone 21,800 trouble free rounds with my sp2022. I fire LAX ammo with the Hornady XTP bullet (it is my self defense round) with zero issues.

I've found the SP2022 *loves* a thicker oil (it probably would do better with grease). I switched to slip 2000 EWL. Note: I do not claim it is the only solution. I went away from CLP as I had a very tight gun that would malfunction on CLP and the thicker you went, the better it ran (but I detest cleaning grease, so hence oils).

I would just stay away from HPR ammo, they have a troubled track record.
I'm actually surprised the SP2022 won't feed everything. It has for me, including some Russian brass without issue. (Very hard primers). LAX ammo sells 135gr FMJ as a simulated HP load and it loves it. Well, I now know an ammo to avoid.

Neil

·
Registered
835 Posts
While I’ll bet its the **** ammo, we never learned what “jamming” means. Is it a failure to feed, double feed, failure to extract??? This helps identify the real cause. SP 2022’s have been found VERY reliable. I THINK I remember a double feed problem with one mag some time ago, but attribute to a weak load. All bulk ammo today can have issues. Even B.B. has provided me a squib or two. HPR is sounding like junk. I’ve had good success with Wolf or Tula if you want to save money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.