SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Sorry! Another P239 Thread Since I Bought One.

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  rabbitone 
#1 ·
A while ago I ran a topic about what should be my second Sig. I made a list of the suggestions, since they all were good ones. I found a P239 that was on that list and within my cash purchase price limit. It was a Nitron, not an SAS model.

I read with interest the recent P239 thread about the pros and cons. I liked all the pros so I was pretty sure I would like it. I was hoping for a interesting, good shooting gun to put into my carry rotation. I sometimes carry a 1911 compact so the weight isn't an issue.

I do have some questions.

Of course, the gun was used. It was sold over the internet as "pristine" and only 500 rounds. When I saw the gun I noticed that the barrel had the smile worn into the top, and there was some wear on the chamber part of the barrel where you can see it through the ejection port. Everything else looked good.

Is this barrel wear a concern? I have put 500 rounds through my 220 and there is no such wear marks. I'm guessing that the seller may have underestimated the number of rounds put through the gun or it wasn't lubricated properly. Is there any indication from my description that the barrel needs to be replaced? (maybe a stupid question)

I also would like to know if an SAS slide fits on this gun to turn it into kind of an SAS. If so, do these parts come up used sometimes?

Any other things that need to be checked out? The seller said he used the lube that came with the gun. It looked dry, but the rails look good and unworn.

The rear night sights are dim. What is the best inexpensive replacement sights for this gun?

Finally, can someone provide me with the exact Hogue grip that has the finger grooves? I can't seem to locate that particular grip and I've seen it in photos.

Apologies and thanks for helping me out with my rambling questions.

I'm looking forward to shooting it.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's a good one. I think I was lied to by someone selling a gun. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

I had a chance to clean the gun and there was a black sticky substance on the barrel to make it look black and hide the wear. When I cleaned it off the barrel, the top of the square chamber section was down to the metal. there was wear all over the barrel, not just the smile at the top front. There was hidden wear on the hammer too. Looking close the screws on the grips look like they have been removed several times and were a little peaned over.

My guess is that this is an old, very used gun that was sold as "pristine". It's inconceivable that it had only 500 rounds pass through. This was only the third gun I've bought used in my life, so I was a little naïve and trusting.

The only puzzling thing is that the lower part looks in better shape. Could it be assembled from parts? I can't find a serial number on the slide to see if the numbers match

If it shoots I will still be happy with the purchase, It was a good price. But this is one of those life lessons. Many picture, many questions, breaking the gun down when I see if in person and the willingness to walk away from the deal. That will be the order of the day if I ever buy used again.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all! I appreciate everyone easing my mind on this purchase. Like I said, I don't have very much experience with buying used.

The frame rails look great. No noticeable wear at all.

One other point of concern is that the hole in the slide where the barrel fits through is slightly out of round. This looks obvious to be where the barrel struck the top of the hole when firing. This makes the barrel sloppy when the slide is locked back. It reminds me of the 45 I had in the Army. The barrel sounded like a baby rattle when you shook the gun. On the Sig the barrel is tight with the slide forward.

I will take a few photos when I get a chance.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
The hole in the front of slide being out of round is normal and designed that way. New Sigs are the same. The barrel being loose when out of battery is also normal. No worries there. The frame rails showing no wear is a very good thing, keep those rails greased and they will last forever.
Well, I guess I should just quit complaining and looking for problems and enjoy my new gun. :lol: It's great to hear from people with knowledge. As soon as my gun fund is stoked back up again look for the question, "What should be my third Sig?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.