SIG Talk banner

So my next gun purchase...S&W or Ruger...?

753 13
So i am looking to get my next gun, a .357 Mag Revolver. My choices are the 686-1 with 4.2" bbl Canadian Model or the Ruger GP 100 with 4.2 " bbl Canadian model. Both stainless, both new. Both priced at the same cost (within 20$). I know what my preference is, but i want to hear from you guys. What are your thoughts, about these two guns, please don't post about other makes or calibers. Those two guns are my options...Pro's/Cons.....
Reactions: bearone2
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
Smith & Wesson.

I love and have both and they both have their merits.

S&W has been making revolvers for over 150 years and is probably one of the most respected names when it comes to quality revolvers.

The 686 will likely have a better trigger straight out of the box. The Ruger trigger can be made pretty nice with a little work but will likely not compare to the S&W in stock form.

The 686 is also one of the most desired models and will likely retain its value better than the Ruger if that makes any difference to you.

Either way you really can't go wrong. But since you asked for opinions I would get the S&W.

· Premium Member
18,477 Posts
I have owned both, each are great firearms. I still own the 686, the GP-100 is gone, if that gives you a clue to my inclination. :)

Both are built like tanks, many prefer the simplicity of the Ruger, but unless you get inside the guns, that really won't matter to you.

To add to this, if you've never fired a revolver, you will want to take a look at THIS POST, some good info contained!

· Registered
1,910 Posts
I have the 686+ 7 shot 6" as well as a SP101 2.4? Our daughter has the Ruger. The 686 I find to be the most enjoyable handgun I have to shoot, and I have over a dozen to chose from. The shorter barrel version not so much, but I understand if you are trying to conceal.

· Registered
763 Posts
I had a 686 & 629 growing up and loved them. The only Rugers I had were BlackHawks, not the same thing I know. BUT, my most favorite revolver of all was my dad's Dan Wesson Pistol Pack. I understand they are back in production and I am on the lookout for one. When my dad passed, the gun went to one of half brothers and they had no interest and without telling anyone, sold the 686, 629 & DW Pistol Pack. I was furious to say the least.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are both new guns, I`ve fired both models previously, I like the weight of the Ruger over the Smith, I prefer the trigger pull of the Smith. I see that most everyone is pushing towards the smith. Since i cant conceal here in Canada, Weight isnt an issue. I can only use them at an approved range. Holding its value isn`t really a worry either, since when i move back to the states, I`ll be importing the gun back, so it will get devalued by the import stamp. Thanks for your guy`s input..

· Registered
6,918 Posts
If you are looking at the 686-1 I would have them check the floating hand to see if it has been worked on. Smith moved to the floating hand for this version and went back to the regular hand in -2s and on. I have a -1 with the floating hand and it is perfectly fine but I have read about others who have had issues and swapped it out. If not done correctly there can be timing issues. Also, make sure it is stamped with the M indicating it went back to smith for the mandatory recall. With that said, my 4" 686-1 is smoother than silk and impresses everyone that gets to shoot it. Definitely one of my faves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.