SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm definitely not a Glock guy, even at the attractive Blue Label pricing. Since the Ruger PCC came out (I have it on order), I figured I'd better get on buying a Glock to accent the PCC.

I was on the fence about the 19 vs 17, but I won't be concealing this thing so 17 it is. I prefer the Gen4 simply because of the grip size difference (small hands) and don't like the Gen3 because of it, but I got it for dirt cheap, so I figured "What the heck..."

After taking it home, I did the famed $.25 trigger job after watching YouTube videos. I already had a Glock tool since it's useful for a number of things, but I never knew how easy it was to full detail strip a Glock.

After an evening of winding down on Glock research (and Jameson ;)), I realized that I really, really disliked the grip and feel of the Gen3. I did what any self-respecting person would do; I took out the dremel and sandpaper.

I started with the trigger undercuts. It felt good, but the grip area really bothered me, so I decided to mimic the Gen 5 grip areas by removing the finger grooves and slightly reducing the backstrap. I also reduced the beavertail grip area a bit. It feels really good now.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I had an issue with easily depressing the mag release, so I attempted to scallop the area. I shaped it to teardrop into the thumb rest area. I saw that some folks completely remove the thumb rest, but I like it so I kept it.

I forgot to mention that when test firing after initial pickup, the slide kept locking back on it's own. I determined that the spring to the slide stop was busted, so I bought the extended slide stop.

I was intending to get the OEM minus connector, but the pull on the 34/35 is a bit mushier than the standard models for some reason, although it is slightly lighter. My research on the subject seems to match this. I will try the "Dot" connector off the Gen4/5 models since that seems to be the compromise between the standard and minus.

This was my first time modding a firearm to this extent (I've actually never even handled a dremel outside of the cutting wheel). Frankly, it's been fun and I've found a new respect for this platform. I know they work and I've shot them extensively through the academy, but they were not my preference; Sigs and M&P's are. I think this will be my tinkering pistol; just a pure range and parts testing toy. I've learned more about Glocks in one week then I'd ever want to know. I've also learned that Glock Forum folks are worse than femi-nazis.

The next steps for me are to Rit Dye the frame to restore the black removed from all of the modifications and wait on the Gen5 Talon Grips in rubber to arrive. I might try stippling in the future, but I am not to savvy on this nor have I found a pattern that I like.

Really, for me it's a fun project. I should probably also start on my Hatfield Single Shot Shotgun project though, but I'm not savvy on woodwork either. :(

Stay tuned, although it's just another Glock thread. :p

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
OK, good luck...I have heard that Glocks are good weapons....

Reactions: Hammer

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm going to say that the Rit Dye worked out very well. The frame is very dark black. You can still tell that the frame was worked on, but the lighter color from scuffing is gone. It'll be ideal for the Talons when they come in.

I also went ahead and did the trigger shoe mod. That feels considerably better and pretty much negates my dislike of the Glock trigger. DOT connector was found, polished and installed. The trigger is pretty nice; much more than I had anticipated.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Excellent Dremel work & dye job! For me anyway, the “must have” upgrades to any stock Glock are: extended slide stop (you already checked that one off), steel sights (I’m partial to Ameriglo, & like a serrated flat-black rear with either a tritium, or fiber optic front), & a Pearce grip frame plug (for keeping debris out of the magwell & action.) Glock really should quit with the crappy plastic sights & include the magwell plug from the factory. Congrats on the new G17. One of the most tried & true, ultra reliable fighting pistols in existence

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks, Patriot. I'm swaying towards the Ameriglo Protector. It mimics the Trijicon HD's but at maybe 25% of the cost.

The grip frame plug is necessary? Does it help with anything else?
Ameriglos are top notch & definitely best bang for your buck. The Protectors are exactly the kind of setup I personally prefer. Having an all black rear helps me pickup the front sight much faster than a traditional three-dot setup.

As far as the grip frame plug, in my opinion, yes, a necessity. That gap is huge &, especially if you carry a Glock, all kinds of **** can get in there. Granted Glocks will run dirty & in almost any condition, but, I don’t want lint, dirt, or anything else, getting in the action. Another benefit is, on most models, they aid in mag insertion, as they’re sloped towards the magwell. Not as much as an actual magwell extension, like the old one from Raven, but better than leaving that gap open. They’re only like $5 or $6 too, & that’s money well spent.

I think Glocks are ugly, as much as any hard-core SIG-o-phile on the board, but their simplicity, resilience, & durability, & how inexpensive they are, make them the force to be reckoned with that they’ve become since they hit the market. They just work & work well, will eat up any & all ammo, run dirty, they are truly exceptional pistols, by any measure, beauty excepted ;-)

·
Premium Member
18,330 Posts
Nice work with the dremel, I think you will like the rubber Talons. A bit different vein of thought on the grip plugs: 1.) yes, they may keep debris out of the gun, but conversely, they will keep debris within the gun. Up at the very top of the tube the plug will go into, there is a hole in the frame, intended to allow debris to drop from the slide area. This debris will now be trapped, allowing it to rattle around inside the hanggun, and; 2.) of even more importance, if the gun is used for defense, should you get a jam/malfunction of some sort that requires you to strip the magazine, the task will now be infinitely more difficult to perform as the area afforded at the back of the mag by this opening, now closed by the plug, will no longer be accessible. Just something to consider. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MC, the school of thought that I was raised on re: frame plugs matches yours. That was the opinion of my academy rangemaster, so it stuck.

OK...

Range day post modifications. It took at bit to get used it the pistol and sights. This particular pistol likes the target sight picture over the combat sight picture that I'm used to.

I've found that I ride the extended slide stop during rapid fire or controlled pairs preventing the slide from locking back after the last round. Not sure how I feel about that yet or if I will have the same problem with the standard release.

Overall, good day. 25 yard accuracy wasn't bad at all.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Great job with the Dremel work! Really good for your first attempt!!

Agree with everyone who recommends the Ameriglo sight replacement.

Grip plugs have been argued back and forth for years. Glock purposely leaves that gap to clear debris, but most of us aren't crawling through mud with our handguns. They are now a fashion statement in the Glock world apparently.

Stippling is easier than it looks but is time-consuming.

A trigger replacement would be my only other must-have upgrade to recommend. If it's an every once in a while gun, then probably not worth the money though.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great job with the Dremel work! Really good for your first attempt!!

Agree with everyone who recommends the Ameriglo sight replacement.

Grip plugs have been argued back and forth for years. Glock purposely leaves that gap to clear debris, but most of us aren't crawling through mud with our handguns. They are now a fashion statement in the Glock world apparently.

Stippling is easier than it looks but is time-consuming.

A trigger replacement would be my only other must-have upgrade to recommend. If it's an every once in a while gun, then probably not worth the money though.

Thank you so much for the praise and recommendations.

·
Registered
22,798 Posts
Good shooting!

I love splatter targets. Worth every dime to get instant feedback on your hits.

·
Banned
455 Posts
That hole in the frame was put there for a reason. Now I'm definitely not a fan of Glock but I'm almost 100% sure they put that there for a reason. Any who, nice work on the frame it looks really good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice work!

I have the Glock 29 and it's the first gun to which I've added modifications beyond a grip. It's really quite fun to have a gun like this to customize to your preferences. I feel that both the slide lock AND slide stop are two modifications necessary for any new Glock, the latter of which just arrived for me in the mail from the Glockstore.

I also plan on doing the trigger polish as well to see if that improves it, and dremeling the trigger guard to eliminate pressure on my knuckle when shooting. I think you will like the Talon wrap-on grip.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Nice work!

I have the Glock 29 and it's the first gun to which I've added modifications beyond a grip. It's really quite fun to have a gun like this to customize to your preferences. I feel that both the slide lock AND slide stop are two modifications necessary for any new Glock, the latter of which just arrived for me in the mail from the Glockstore.

I also plan on doing the trigger polish as well to see if that improves it, and dremeling the trigger guard to eliminate pressure on my knuckle when shooting. I think you will like the Talon wrap-on grip.

Observations:

Sanding down the trigger shoe/doo-hicky thingamabob flush to the trigger when depressed made a major difference in shootability. I don't know why Glock didn't do this from the start.

The $.25 trigger job was a piece of cake and well worth it. It doesn't reduce weight or anything dramatic, but it certainly did smooth out the trigger pull.

What DID make a noticeable difference was the swap to the 5#, DOT connector off the Gen4/5 models. Trigger weight was noticeably lighter while not changing the reset or adding "mush" feel like the - connector off the 34/35. It just simply felt good.

It turns out that the standard 5.5#, + from NY, and - from 34/35 connectors all went away in the Gen 4/5 models. The examples of BNIB Gen4 and 5 models at the shop (including 34/35) all had the 5#, DOT connectors.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Talons arrived. The Gen5 Talons (without backstrap) fit almost perfectly. I had to cut off a bit on the ends to not block the mag release scallop. The tape pretty much covered all of the sanded areas with exception to the undercuts and upper backstrap. The half moon cutout off the Gen5 tape was perfect for arching over the "lip" that I created at the bottom of the frontstrap as a reference for my support hand's pinky.

It feels really good, nice and tacky. I did feel the right side's sticker edge on my palm. That will likely be the high wear area. Time will tell if it un-peels or not (like the Gen1 Talons for my Shield). Yes, I followed directions and used a blow dryer. Not my first set of Talons. One observation was that the supplied alcohol wipe removed a bit of the Rit Dye, nothing noticeable on the frame, but the wipe picked up some black.

Waiting on the Ameriglo Protectors to arrive then the project is complete. I thought that I needed to replace the barrel, but after Saturday's test firing, practical combat accuracy was fine, so I will forgo it for now.

If this goes well, I might even go as far as purchasing a Gen4 or Gen5 compact size to add to my carry rotation. I'm really starting to enjoy this platform, but let's not go crazy here. LOL

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ameriglo Protectors arrived. These sights were a lot better than I expected. For $50, it's definitely on par with the more expensive sights. I especially liked that they rear sight extended back towards the end of the slide. The sight picture is just more natural. I hated the OEM sights where half the dot is covered by the rear sight. The full dot shows up here.

Since I was in better lighting...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.