SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having issues with the brand new P938 that i purchased today. Took it home to give it a good cleaning before the range and now the slide won't go back on. And yes I am pressing the lever down before sliding it back. And then of course I also disengaged the safety which I thought may be the problem. I then look in the manual after the fact and of course it says that this is a major no. I had heard there were many issues with this pistol but I cannot believe I would have problems before even taking it to the range. Any ideas on what I should do from here?

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know where you heard there were many issues from (maybe when first released)...it's a great gun! Not sure what might be going on. It seems a little strange but hard to diagnose without pictures or a video.

Can you see what is stopping it from going back on? Are you putting the pin back in while you are trying to put the slide back on?

Wish I had more...

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you search the net there is a utube video by a lady keeping the piece. She has the best one I have watched .Search : fieldstrip p938 should be the utube in Aug.Click and watch it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Welcome to SigTalk. Congrats on your new 938. I agree that an assembly vid will help you and your owners manual has instructions as well. Magazine out... slide stop partially inserted into barrel lug... ejector depressed and viola. Good luck. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally got it. Just took a bit more force than I thought was necessary. Seems good to go. But now I am concerned about when I disengaged the safety while the slide was off. The manual states that doing this "will" cause the safety detent plunger to separate from the frame. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I finally got it. Just took a bit more force than I thought was necessary. Seems good to go. But now I am concerned about when I disengaged the safety while the slide was off. The manual states that doing this "will" cause the safety detent plunger to separate from the frame. Should I be concerned?
No, there is no problem when *disengaging* the safety when the slide is off, i.e. moving the safety lever down.

You can also engage the safety carefully (which is what the caution is about). Moving the lever up is engaging the safety, and is only typically done with the slide off when detail stripping. As you push the lever up further than the detent notch, and that takes little effort, will allow the detent plunger and spring to launch as the bottom side of the lever clears the plunger. If you don't want that to happen, just "cover" the top of the safety lever so you don't push it up too far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thank you for the info. Last thing that i noticed is that the right side safety lever is loose. Rattles quite a bit. Normal or not? I know I am being paranoid but it was an expensive gun and I would like to make sure it is safe and ready to roll.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Ok thank you for the info. Last thing that i noticed is that the right side safety lever is loose. Rattles quite a bit. Normal or not? I know I am being paranoid but it was an expensive gun and I would like to make sure it is safe and ready to roll.

Thanks
It's not uncommon for the right side safety lever to be a bit loose, especially when compared to the left side lever. The left side lever and the safety shaft are moulded as one piece (hence no movement) but the right side lever is attached to the safety shaft using a type of bayonet mount which will allow for some movement even when properly mounted.

If the right side lever is so loose as to affect function or to be too annoying, SIG has been known to replace it but that takes a trip back to the factory. I don't know of any technique to tighten the lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts