SIG Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having some issues with my P938. Twice in 2 days the slide stop pin just fell out. This happened in the unloading process, after dropping the magazine then racking the slide (thumb safety on/up) to clear the chamber - slide stop pin just fell into mu lap. Later that same day the second issue happened at the range during a re-qualification class, I was only getting 4 shots out of a magazine loaded with 5 cartridges. Slide locked back fine. No cartridges left in the magazine. Thought I was going crazy but it happened with 3 out of 4 magazines loaded with 5 each. Pretty unnerving during a class. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Take some small needle-nose pliers and using a flat tip screwdriver to stabilize the spring bend the tip of the spring down slightly.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Tusser's advice is good, but don't bend it down too far or you'll have a difficult time getting the take down lever back in.

There's a mod that can be done with a vibratory electric engraver. When assembled, the spring rests against a small tab on the take down lever. Slide off, insert lever and note where spring rests on the tab. Place lever in padded vice and use engraver to scribe a line at the spot the spring rests, go back and forth to make a little channel for the spring to rest in. Don't make it too deep so as not to stress parts. A small bevel on the top inboard edge of that tab will make the lever able to get under the spring easier when assembling.

Pictures would help, but that is unfortunately not happening just yet. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tusser's advice is good, but don't bend it down too far or you'll have a difficult time getting the take down lever back in.

There's a mod that can be done with a vibratory electric engraver. When assembled, the spring rests against a small tab on the take down lever. Slide off, insert lever and note where spring rests on the tab. Place lever in padded vice and use engraver to scribe a line at the spot the spring rests, go back and forth to make a little channel for the spring to rest in. Don't make it too deep so as not to stress parts. A small bevel on the top inboard edge of that tab will make the lever able to get under the spring easier when assembling.

Pictures would help, but that is unfortunately not happening just yet. :(
Thanks for your response and so quickly. I might give it a try. I think you may have posted photos in an older post possibly? Would this have anything to do with the next issue on same day - only 4 shots out of 5 loaded in the magazine - where’d that fifth round go? Happened repeatedly as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take some small needle-nose pliers and using a flat tip screwdriver to stabilize the spring bend the tip of the spring down slightly.
Thanks Tusser, might give this a try. As I asked Bumper below, would this have anything to do with the second issue same day - 4 shots fired but five rounds were loaded in magazine. Slide locked back fine after 4 shots and nothing left in the mag. Happened with 3 out of 4 magazines.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Thanks Tusser, might give this a try. As I asked Bumper below, would this have anything to do with the second issue same day - 4 shots fired but five rounds were loaded in magazine. Slide locked back fine after 4 shots and nothing left in the mag. Happened with 3 out of 4 magazines.
Yes, the little spring Tusser is talking about provides the tension to hold the slide stop lever down. If this spring is weakened, bent up too much, it is much easier to inadvertently push the slide stop lever upwards while shooting. This would then lock the slide back before the last round is cycled. It's a bit of a balancing act between having the spring end bent down far enough and yet still being able to get the tiny little tab (or shelf) on the inboard side of the lever to slide under the spring while assembling.

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
Later that same day the second issue happened at the range during a re-qualification class, I was only getting 4 shots out of a magazine loaded with 5 cartridges. Slide locked back fine. No cartridges left in the magazine. Thought I was going crazy but it happened with 3 out of 4 magazines loaded with 5 each.
I think this problem is caused when the top round in the mag gets dragged forward when the round above it gets chambered. When the slide cycles the next time, the top round in the mag (being forward) pops out along with the spent casing.

Two things to look for:
1. Inspect the underside of your slide and confirm that the little button on the cartridge pickup rail is still in place.
2. Polish the underside of the pickup rail so that it doesn't drag the top round in the mag so far forward.
P938 PickupRail.001.jpg

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I think this problem is caused when the top round in the mag gets dragged forward when the round above it gets chambered. When the slide cycles the next time, the top round in the mag (being forward) pops out along with the spent casing.

Two things to look for:
1. Inspect the underside of your slide and confirm that the little button on the cartridge pickup rail is still in place.
2. Polish the underside of the pickup rail so that it doesn't drag the top round in the mag so far forward.
Good point . . . my tired old foggy mind missed the bit about 4 shots form a now empty 5 rounds in the mag. I also wipe a very thin layer of grease on the stripper rail, both to lower friction beetween rail and next round and the rail to hammer cocking surfaces.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the little spring Tusser is talking about provides the tension to hold the slide stop lever down. If this spring is weakened, bent up too much, it is much easier to inadvertently push the slide stop lever upwards while shooting. This would then lock the slide back before the last round is cycled. It's a bit of a balancing act between having the spring end bent down far enough and yet still being able to get the tiny little tab (or shelf) on the inboard side of the lever to slide under the spring while assembling.
Good point . . . my tired old foggy mind missed the bit about 4 shots form a now empty 5 rounds in the mag. I also wipe a very thin layer of grease on the stripper rail, both to lower friction beetween rail and next round and the rail to hammer cocking surfaces.
Wow, yes, Think First. I think you’re right. That certainly would explain it. Thanks so much for the suggestion and photos!. Thanks too for great advice from all who responded.

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
I'm curious, does your 938 drop a loose round thru the mag well when you remove the mag to top it up after chambering the +1?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts