SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a handgun course coming up and I guess I won't be taking my p226 9mm. Slide just won't lock back MOST of the time!
I've tried everything!

•Shot it with my thumb away from slide lock lever by adjusting my grip.
•I've shot it with one hand
•I've cleaned and inspected all my magazines (does it with every mag).
•I've used every brand of ammo
•I know I'm not limp wristing it, cause my other sig has NO fails!
•I've cleaned and oiled the **** out of it!

I have noticed that when I remove slide and push the slide lock lever it occasionally sticks and won't snap back in place. SO it's off to the gunsmith with this *****.

I'm taking my p229 EE .40 to the class.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the slide just not locking after you shoot the last round in the mag?

What kind of magazines? The Check Mate mags made in the U.S. have given me this problem. Just had to ship in all 4 of them on my p226 tac ops .40.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the slide just not locking after you shoot the last round in the mag?

What kind of magazines? The Check Mate mags made in the U.S. have given me this problem. Just had to ship in all 4 of them on my p226 tac ops .40.
Yup. After the last round it won't lock back. All 3 of the mags are Sig factory mags.

·
Registered
55,067 Posts
are your sig factory mags "made in usa"?

·
Registered
145 Posts
reverse the spring in your mag, you may have inserted it upside down when cleaning and inspecting. I had the same problem with one of the 3 mags that came with my MK25 after cleaning and I couldn't figure out why it was no longer locking the slide back on this one. after looking closer I could see the plastic feeder in the mag wasn't sitting all the way at the top like the other 2 so after tearing it down and comparing it to another I could see the spring didn't look right. it was upside down. so it does matter which way that spring goes back in, at least it did for me.

good luck.

·
Registered
55,067 Posts
garbage, throw 'em away unless you want to use them for failure drills.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What was the solution?...Same issue with my MK25 9mm

So what was the resolve to this problem?

I've noticed that when i begin shooting at the range (gun cold), the gun functions properly. When I get to about the 75th-100 round it begins to not lock back when mag is empty. Would love to have my $900 pistol function properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The great mystery.

·
Registered
11,206 Posts
I've caught myself getting lazy with my grip as I get further into a range session and my shooting hand thumb drifting up onto the slide lock resulting in the slide failing to lock back on the empty mag. I do it occasionally on all my SIGs but seem most prone to doing it with my 239.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a P226 made in March 2011 that would not reliably lock the slide back on 2 brand new magazines. After a little research it seems Sig made a subtle change to the Slide Lock Lever (SLL) and magazine followers (either by design or manufacturing tolerance). They shortened the tab that picks up the follower on the SLL and the USA made magazines had slightly smaller/shorter pick up pads. These 2 attributes combined to cause the problem.

The fix for this is to replace the SLL w/ Sig# 1200779 that has a bit longer tab. This fix has been fully compatible with every magazine I own and all that I have borrowed to try. With little effort on my part Sig sent the part for free.

You can check if this is your issue. Look closely at the SLL tab were it contacts the pad on the magazines; there should be a good overlap. The magazines that were problematic were being ‘picked up’ by the SLL right on the edge of the pad or part way down the sloped surface. If you have any doubt about the amount of contact remove the slide and insert an empty magazine then just move the follower and SLL in opposite directions to see if you can cause them to ‘miss’ each other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts