SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to send off an older slide to be milled for a rmr and am trying to decide how to refinish it (there is a fair amount of holster wear and the milling would expose bare metal). I can do this and send back to sig after to get the nitron redone or the machine shop discounts robar finishes, so np3+ or rogaurd. Anyone have long term use with the robar? Does it hold up for the long term, sounds like corrosion protection is good but how about holster wear etc?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have very little experience with NP3 but it seems to be pretty sold way to go as far as durability. Keep in mind, holster wear is inevitable doesn't matter if its duracoat or the best finish out there, it's going to happen.

If you want to go with a good nitron finish, check out H&M Metal @ Welcome to H & M Metal Processing
They are 45 min from where I live, I've used them before and would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am about to send off an older slide to be milled for a rmr and am trying to decide how to refinish it (there is a fair amount of holster wear and the milling would expose bare metal). I can do this and send back to sig after to get the nitron redone or the machine shop discounts robar finishes, so np3+ or rogaurd. Anyone have long term use with the robar? Does it hold up for the long term, sounds like corrosion protection is good but how about holster wear etc?
Wouldn't the color be different with Robar/NP3 being a silver and the Nitron being black? That alone could be the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Another option would be to have the slide bead blasted by SIG. The result would be a two tone pistol with RMR capabilities.

Reactions: PhillySoldier

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I don't know about you, but I had a similar wear issue with my 239. Finally I sent it to Sig for "Bead blast finish". So I got it back and you can see from the pictures how it looks. Frame is still deep black, Grips are Walnut, Sights are Sig TFO. And I think it sets the weapon off nicely. I did lightly oil the slide when I got it back to seal the bead blast.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Robar's work is awesome. I just did a"Norton Special" (all parts except the frame) in NP3+ on a P229, and the gun looks amazing. The NP3+ also has excellent corrosion resistance, and seeing that you're in the SE US, I'm guessing humidity is an issue for you. The NP3+ is a little "warmer" than the SIG two tone slides, but quite attractive. Plus it comes with a lifetime warranty if any issues do come up.

I'm going to be taking a second P229 up to Robar shortly. If you don't mind the silver finish, it's hard to beat their work.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't mind two tone or all black, yeah I am in a humid environment near the ocean so corrosion is a concern. I do tend to take good care of my guns oiling etc frequently. My couple concerns with np3 related to holster wear going through plating (never had it so not sure if this would happen) and relative cost vs nitride etc. May have to think a bit more.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I love Cerakote and have great luck with it. Many different color options too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.