SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put about 150 through my P229 E2. Bought it used, probably less than 100 rounds through it, about a month or so ago. I have put about 500 through it total. I noticed after this trip to the range that the slide has a rattling sound when you shake it a little bit. I noticed this when I went to put it back in my holster. Don’t think it was doing it before. Didn’t have any issues with it at the range I just found it kind of strange. Any idea what this is? I figure firing pin but it does this no matter what, cocked, decocked, loaded/unloaded, slide off the frame, slide on the frame. Not a slide/frame fit issue... Doesn’t matter, it’s rattling all the same. Seems to only do it when side to side. Local gunsmith that I use for everything said it is strange and to keep an eye on it but if there’s no problem performance it’s probably not a big deal. Just wanted some opinions

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Grease the frame rails/slide rails/Bbl exterior surfaces to include the slide muzzle hole & the aft end of the trigger bar at the hammer pivot pin under the RH grip panel.

A drop of Oil at the pivot points on both sides of the hammer/sear/trigger pin.

Your rattling will disappear!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Grease the frame rails/slide rails/Bbl exterior surfaces to include the slide muzzle hole & the aft end of the trigger bar at the hammer pivot pin under the RH grip panel.

A drop of Oil at the pivot points on both sides of the hammer/sear/trigger pin.

Your rattling will disappear!!
The slide is still rattling when disconnected from the frame though... it’s coming from inside of the slide where the firing pin is.. but when I compress the pin, it still does it... like what even is that? Sounds like a spring or something...

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
When you remove the slide, take the barrel and recoil assembly out, and then shake the field-stripped slide, you hear a rattle? And you heard that same rattle when holstering the weapon?

And when you press on the firing pin, are you also pushing in the safety stop so the firing pin can exit the hole in the breechface?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you remove the slide, take the barrel and recoil assembly out, and then shake the field-stripped slide, you hear a rattle? And you heard that same rattle when holstering the weapon?

And when you press on the firing pin, are you also pushing in the safety stop so the firing pin can exit the hole in the breechface?
Hoping there isn’t anything broken off... and yes field stripped with recoil spring and barrel removed, still rattling, and yes when I push it in like you said and it is still rattling.. driving me crazy! Kind of nervous to try and disassemble the slide, never gone that far before

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,833 Posts
Photos always help, to see what we're dealing with. When you say "used", was it a CPO, or former LE trade in?

Reactions: Devereaux

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Photos always help, to see what we're dealing with. When you say "used", was it a CPO, or former LE trade in?
I mean nothing looks out of place at all... looks fine. And I bought it used (2013 model) from an FFL not cpo or anything wasn’t worried about it.

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
Hoping there isn’t anything broken off... and yes field stripped with recoil spring and barrel removed, still rattling, and yes when I push it in like you said and it is still rattling.. driving me crazy! Kind of nervous to try and disassemble the slide, never gone that far before
THAT is VERY unusual. Never encountered that. Even though it is a low round count, I would be concerned about a broken firing pin. It is possible that, with the confined space of the firing pin channel, the "tail end" piece may be able to still push the "front end" piece. But I would count on that lasting. I wonder if the safety stop to be broken and a piece of that is trapped and rattling around?

It is only a roll pin to check. If you don't have the tools or don't feel comfortable doing it, I would have a smith pull it to inspect, just for peace of mind.

Somebody will point you to a video for the newer P229 slide with the long extractor for removing the firing pin.

Reactions: Devereaux and ah3

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
Considering the things that could be loose in a P229 slide, my first choice would be the firing pin or firing pin spring.

With the slide inverted on a flat surface, press the firing pin block down and then press the firing pin forward. Verify that the FP protrudes thru the breach face.

Release the firing pin and then the firing pin block. Verify that the firing pin retracts back into the breach face and that the firing pin block pops back up. Just to be sure, repeat this and restrain (gently) the firing pin that extends thru the breach face. Verify that the firing pin still retracts back into the slide when it's released.

The other things would be safety lock, safety lock spring, extractor, extractor pivot pin, inner and outer extractor springs, firing pin positioning pin...and sights.

What kind of sights are on this pistol?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THAT is VERY unusual. Never encountered that. Even though it is a low round count, I would be concerned about a broken firing pin. It is possible that, with the confined space of the firing pin channel, the "tail end" piece may be able to still push the "front end" piece. But I would count on that lasting. I wonder if the safety stop to be broken and a piece of that is trapped and rattling around?

It is only a roll pin to check. If you don't have the tools or don't feel comfortable doing it, I would have a smith pull it to inspect, just for peace of mind.

Somebody will point you to a video for the newer P229 slide with the long extractor for removing the firing pin.
Thanks for the help! Check this out if you get the chance.. you can hear it really well in this video. Lol felt ridiculous recording this but whatever.

https://youtu.be/ATQ04YQItTE

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
There have been reports of the firing pin positioning pin cracking and pieces breaking off.

Do much dry firing with this pistol? With or without snap caps?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There have been reports of the firing pin positioning pin cracking and pieces breaking off.

Do much dry firing with this pistol? With or without snap caps?
Not much at all. A little bit but nothing consistent. Either way it wasn’t doing it before the range today that I noticed. I’ll probably just take it to the gunsmith and ask them to tear down because I don’t wanna mess it up even though I’d rather do it myself.. I can’t find a video how to disassemble the slide for this one, only the classic p229... pin placement is different on mine and even seems to be a bit blocked off by the underside of the slide...

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Considering the things that could be loose in a P229 slide, my first choice would be the firing pin or firing pin spring.

With the slide inverted on a flat surface, press the firing pin block down and then press the firing pin forward. Verify that the FP protrudes thru the breach face.

Release the firing pin and then the firing pin block. Verify that the firing pin retracts back into the breach face and that the firing pin block pops back up. Just to be sure, repeat this and restrain (gently) the firing pin that extends thru the breach face. Verify that the firing pin still retracts back into the slide when it's released.

The other things would be safety lock, safety lock spring, extractor, extractor pivot pin, inner and outer extractor springs, firing pin positioning pin...and sights.

What kind of sights are on this pistol?
Thank you. This is all operating just how it should. I have the MH3 AM sights on this pistol.. pin goes back into breech and block popping back out how it should

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drifting out the firing pin positioning pin would allow removal of the firing pin, firing pin spring, safety lock, safety lock spring and, of course, the positioning pin itself.

In terms of diagnostics, gives the most bang for the buck. The FPPP should be replaced once removed.
Yea this ones a bit over my head. Appreciate your tips for sure. Gonna have my guy disassemble for me for the simple fact I don’t have the tools. Also, I noticed even if I rotate the slide, I can here it, don’t have to shake... almost like something is falling back and forth. Like ***

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
The extractor pivot pin has to be drifted up using a half round punch and the extractor and springs removed from the slide to expose the other end of the firing pin positioning pin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited by Moderator)
The extractor pivot pin has to be drifted up using a half round punch and the extractor and springs removed from the slide to expose the other end of the firing pin positioning pin.
These [language removed] sure made this one easy. Lol genuinely appreciate your help. Not sure how urgent this will be considering it had no issues firing. Other than driving me crazy it doesn’t seem to be a problem and wondering how expensive it would be to fix if they could even get the parts right now

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I can understand your reluctance to delve into it, but to my ear, that's a very unusual noise in a classic P-series slide and should be investigated before operating much more.

A competent GS or even armorer can do the disassembly and inspection.

If you solve the mystery I hope you share it with us.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can understand your reluctance to delve into it, but to my ear, that's a very unusual noise in a classic P-series slide and should be investigated before operating much more.

A competent GS or even armorer can do the disassembly and inspection.

If you solve the mystery I hope you share it with us.
I certainly will. If somethings wrong with it I feel like it would be pretty obvious once they disassemble. I kind of want to do it myself I just don’t have the tools. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to for a good price and be able to get the parts as well it’s pretty basic from what I understand anyway. Not exactly trying to ship off to Sig especially during all the BS going on, plus would probably be much more $.

·
Registered
359 Posts
SIG may be the best place to send it.

They have the tools, parts and skills to do the job correctly.

In any case, an inspection, and refresh of internal springs would be a useful thing, especially on a used gun with unknown usage history.

SIG P series slides don't, to my experience, rattle.

Reactions: Devereaux
1 - 20 of 34 Posts