SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got my Silencerco Hybrid the other day. Upon test fitting and getting a feel for it, when I rack the slide on my 320 compact, it is locking back with no mag inserted. The lock lever is in the down (unlocked) position. A slight pressure up on the end of the Hybrid causes the slide to go forward. With the suppressor off, the slide doesn't lock back like that and is functioning normal.

I'm guessing the extra weight on the barrel is causing this, but is it normal? I am also assuming it will do this when I am racking the slide to load the first round from a loaded mag. I haven't tried to load it yet. May try tomorrow.

Any of you guys running suppressors on your 320 or any other tilting barrel style pistols encounter this?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Today I loaded a magazine and attempted to rack the slide to make the weapon hot with the Hybrid attached and again, the slide locked back and only moved forward when a slight pressure up on the end of the suppressor.

Anybody have any input?

·
Registered
458 Posts
*I don't own any suppressors, and am not a gunsmith.*

At a guess, the extra weight is causing enough drag on the top of the chamber/inside top of the slide to cause it to catch and hold a bit. Without the parts in hand, it's hard to say why that would be. I doubt it's normal, but probably not the end of the world either.
Have you fired the gun yet, with or without the suppressor? Tight tolerances and clean, sharp edges of a new gun could exacerbate the issue.
To me, it doesn't look inherently unsafe, and were it mine I'd be very tempted to put some rounds through it to see if the parts would wear in and stop catching.
Of course, you should only do this if you are comfortable with the idea. If not (or if you do and it doesn't help) I'd get in touch with Silencerco. Surely this is something they've at least heard of, if not experienced firsthand in their own testing and they would probably be better able to advise you.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I agree with Kenny. I'm guessing that the weight of the suppressor is levering the barrel, creating friction that the recoil spring is unable to overcome. The fact that the slide returns to battery if slight upward pressure is exerted upon the suppressor supports this.

I don't think it would be unsafe to see what happens in live fire. If the problem happens there, I'd call Silencerco. Heck, I'd probably call them either way. This doesn't sound like something that should be happening, even if we understand the mechanism.

Reactions: Adiboo

·
Registered
436 Posts
Check for...
1) Sharp edges or burrs on the bottom or sides of the slide.
2) Look for the same on the barrel hood or sides.
3) Any rough or high spots on the recoil spring rod.
4) Make sure everything is lubed.

Does the gun function when live fired?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you all for your responses.

The pistol has been fired roughly 250 times with no malfunctions in it's factory configuration. Not yet fired with the suppressor. I should mention that this is a new threaded barrel I ordered from Sig that the Hybrid is mounted to.

I did some manual cycling with the Hybrid mounted. After about 10-12 cycles it seemed to not lock back any more. I kept cycling it another 25-30 times and it has gotten much better. I'd say it's about 90% not locking back, and the 10% is just a slight hang up I can feel when cycling. It doesn't stay locked back on that 10%, just feels like it wants to lock, but won't stay, if that makes any sense. Perhaps the new threaded barrel needs to be broken in or the tolerances are too tight on it.

I will keep cycling it, because that seems to be fixing the issue of the locking back. Or perhaps I should get some live fire in with the new threaded barrel and no suppressor as well.

Thanks again for your input guys. Much appreciated. :D

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Do you grease your barrel, barrel hood, barrel lug - all the parts that slide including the slide rails too? These parts should be lubed in any case, running a suppressor puts additional loading on them and increases friction.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Do you grease your barrel, barrel hood, barrel lug - all the parts that slide including the slide rails too? These parts should be lubed in any case, running a suppressor puts additional loading on them and increases friction.
I put oil all over the exterior of the new barrel. Also put oil on the slide rails and slide grooves.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I put oil all over the exterior of the new barrel. Also put grease on the slide rails and slide grooves.
I also have a Hybrid. I've had similar 'lock back' issues and will explain below.

Slide lock issues without magazine inserted

The below all happened before the first firing of the SC kit or 9mm threaded barrel.

I have had issue with the slide 'locking' back without a mag. The first issue was on my sub-compact x-change in 40SW. Out of the box the slide would stick back when I manually racked the slide. A tap on the back of the slide would free the slide and it would snap forward. The kit still had the factory oil on the barrel and slide.

When I dropped my 9mm threaded barrel into my compact 40sw P320, it stuck back as well. The barrel had the factory dry grease on it.
This happened without my suppressor attached. I didn't try the suppressor at this time.

I throughly cleaned both the sub-compact kit and compact pistol. I throughly greased the rails, the inside of the slide where the barrel travels and all external surfaces of the barrel.

Upon reassembly, there were no slide lock issues in the sc kit or the 9mm threaded barrel. I then tried the Hybrid on the 9mm barrel and there were no locking issues at this time.

The biggest thing I've learned over the years is that Sigs like grease over oil. I would highly suggest using grease on anything that slides and NOT oil. I have LubraPlate that was given to me from my Father. You don't need anything that high quality or special 'gun' grease. All you need is a quality high temperature grease.

If you just want to try a grease, Wal-Mart has a high temp white grease that is low cost and works great on fire arms.

On a side note ... I'm going to start another tread about my experience with the P320 and Hybrid.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@gundrted

Thank you for your input. I will try the grease out. I have only been using oil so far and haven't had any issues (other than this one) with my firearms.

Some people use grease, others use oil, and some use both on separate areas of their firearms. I guess that's why there is always a debate over the use of one over the other...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.