SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my last range visit I had at least three instances out of ~50rds where the slide on my 365XL failed to lock back after firing the last round. I was shooting Blazer Brass 115 FMJ. I'm tempted to associate this with my installation of the RDS optic on this pistol but it could also be ammo related. I was working specifically on tightening my grip so I'm certain this was not due to any kind of limp-wristing. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this after adding an RDS.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
On my last range visit I had at least three instances out of ~50rds where the slide on my 365XL failed to lock back after firing the last round. I was shooting Blazer Brass 115 FMJ. I'm tempted to associate this with my installation of the RDS optic on this pistol but it could also be ammo related. I was working specifically on tightening my grip so I'm certain this was not due to any kind of limp-wristing. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this after adding an RDS.
I didn't have this issue with an XL; I had it with my P365. I also had a light strike issue. Sent it to Sig. Came back with the light strike issue resolved (and stiffer to rack, but not too much so.) It still occasionally wouldn't lock back on the last round though. Someone told me it was because of how I was gripping the gun. I didn't want the gun to be fussy about grip in a urgent situation so I tried an XL grip module thinking I'd have more to hold onto. I never had the problem again, no matter how I gripped the gun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've had the more than occasional failures to lock back since day 1. I've had 2 range sessions since getting my 365 back from Maple Leaf and mounting my 507k and the frequency was about the same. I'm thinking it only happened with 115 range ammo and not with 124 +p HST, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same intermittent issue with my 365 (non XL)
I marked the magazines and tried to figure WTH was going on. It turned out to be thumb/slide release lever. I have to make a conscious effort to keep my thumb off it when I shoot it.
YMMV

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I would have to ask if your thumb might be riding the slide release. Many folks have had that problem. Try shooting with your left hand. If the problem goes away you can be pretty certain your thumb was touching the release.
I've watched for that and ruled it out. With my normal grip my thumb is actually well short of (behind) and below the slide lock lever on the 365XL. I do have an occasional problem with my thumb interfering with the slide lock on the 320X-Compact but there the problem is that I bump the lever up and sometimes lock the slide back with rounds still in the magazine.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey Eford...love your take on Robert Frost.
You've added a red dot optic to your slide, which adds mass to the slide?
Maybe it's not traveling far enough to pick up the slide stop?
Moon

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
eford,

I'm tending to think your red dot isn't the problem. The popular red dots that fit the XL are all very light weight.

I consider Blazer Brass to be of "medium" power. If your gun is already broken in, it may perform with Blazer Brass. If not broken in, try to find a few hundred Winchester White Box 124 grain NATO spec rounds. Bullet weight aside, NATO spec is pretty "hot", comparable to +P ammo.

If ammo is the problem, you may have to work with what you can find untill the shortage gets better. That may be a while.

A worn out recoil spring will also cause your problem. Bit if your gun has less than 4-5,000 rounds, that's not real likely.

Last; 95% of folks who limp wrist don't believe they do it. Limp wristing is not normally caused by weakness, it's normally just a failure to grip hard enough. I tell folks to increase the grip untill thier hands tremble, then loosen just a bit. Pretend you hate your gun, and are trying to choke it.

Only you can figure out whether the problem is ammo or grip.

Reactions: Herbw and DIRTBOY

·
Registered
100 Posts
The 365, and most micro pistols, are hard to hold when the boom happens.

Just because your grip/thumb is not near the slide lock before triggering does not mean it doesn’t hit it during or after recoil.

It is very common to watch shooters readjust their grip in between shots due to the violent nature of recoil.

Contrary to some folks belief, one should use a death grip when properly firing a pistol. The death grip is applied with the weak hand. Strong hands only job is to pull the trigger straight back.

Grab onto that gun like it owes you money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I shot my SAS for the first time and found that there was very little recoil and not what I was expecting at all.

The sites were another matter. Until I expressed them to intense light by holding them under a bright one, they weren't usable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My apologies, I didn't really expect this to turn into another introductory discussion of how to properly grip a pistol. I've had my P365XL for 10 months. I've put roughly 1200 - 1500 rds thru it. I'd say it's well broken in. I'm quite familiar with the recoil of this weapon. However, I only recently added the RDS and the slide lock issue I originally posted about only surfaced after that modification. I brought it up here mostly to see if others having the same configuration were encountering anything similar. I would happily test it with other ammunition, if any were available locally. Unfortunately, my choices in that regard are extremely limited (i.e., none).

I appreciate the offered solutions and though they are valid comments I don't find them applicable to my specific issue.

Reactions: Dinola

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same issue, so I bought new metal followers and stronger springs hoping it would fix the problem. With the new parts installed in the mags I still had times when the slide wouldn't lock on an empty mag. What I found was the mag follower wasn't going up high enough in the magazine to fully engage the slide lock. The lip of the magazine was stopping the follower from going up high enough to engage the stop. I bent the lip away from the follower just a tiny amount and that allowed the follower to move up enough to engage the slide stop every time. I did that to my other mags, as well as my wife's mags and the problem is now solved....both guns lock the slide back 100% of the time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
eford, temporarily remove the red dot and see if the problem goes away.
Slide weight/recoil spring power/ammo are a balancing act; changing one of the three can effect slide velocity.
Moon

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the same issue, so I bought new metal followers and stronger springs hoping it would fix the problem. With the new parts installed in the mags I still had times when the slide wouldn't lock on an empty mag. What I found was the mag follower wasn't going up high enough in the magazine to fully engage the slide lock. The lip of the magazine was stopping the follower from going up high enough to engage the stop. I bent the lip away from the follower just a tiny amount and that allowed the follower to move up enough to engage the slide stop every time. I did that to my other mags, as well as my wife's mags and the problem is now solved....both guns lock the slide back 100% of the time.
Thanks. I'll do some more testing with my mags to see if this is specific to one vs the other or common across all of them.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I don't use the Blazer anymore. I stick with S&B for target shooting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I shot my SAS for the first time and found that there was very little recoil and not what I was expecting at all.

The sites were another matter. Until I expressed them to intense light by holding them under a bright one, they weren't usable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was really interested in the SAS until somebody showed me that about the sights disappearing without proper lighting.. I feel like it's a huge issue, no?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't use the Blazer anymore. I stick with S&B for target shooting.

I would happily do that as well, if there were any S&B to be had.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Outdoor Limited has 50 round boxes, but no longer has it by 1000 round case. That case is MUCH more expensive now. Crazy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts