SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Slide disassembly tools for P229/226 Legion

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  MBJKU 
#1 ·
Hi, I know I need some special punch and also replacement pins if I need to disassemble slides. Anything you might suggest that I could use? Any source of pins? Thanks!

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)

Thanks a lot, I guess both pins are Ok for Legions P229/226? Problem with this punch is not available any place. How is that possible that Sig is not selling it anymore, what are they expecting for people to do if they need to clean their slides or replace simple extractor? I own many different pistols, nothing like Sig in this maintenance complexity.

#7 ·
It's not hard to make your own modified punch -- all you need is a grinder and some patience. Lots of people have made their own by grinding a half-round punch from a standard 3mm. It's a lot cheaper than buying the "special" tool!

#9 ·
For whatever reason that half round punch has always been hard to find.
Which is why most resort to making one.

A bench grinder would work but look kinda crude.
I was going to drop off a 3mm punch to the machine shop we use to have it shaved down but haven't got around to it.

#10 ·
Sig Sauer never made them, but they bought them when originally made by K & C Barrels, as the E2 Slide Disassembly Tool, and offered the punches in their Armorer's Kits. It was also sold by Brownell's including the same companies P250 Disassembly Tool.

Here is the "original" punch which is a 3mm (.120") punch ground in half, which evidently stopped being made due to medical reasons from "rumors", but Matrix stepped up. to offer their version, made from a 1/8" (.125") Starrett Pin punch.
Office supplies Writing implement Writing instrument accessory Graphite Stationery

#11 ·
Sig Sauer never made them, but they bought them when originally made by K & C Barrels, as the E2 Slide Disassembly Tool, and offered the punches in their Armorer's Kits. It was also sold by Brownell's including the same companies P250 Disassembly Tool.

Here is the "original" punch which is a 3mm (.120") punch ground in half, which evidently stopped being made due to medical reasons from "rumors", but Matrix stepped up. to offer their version, made from a 1/8" (.125") Starrett Pin punch.
View attachment 393762
Medical reasons? Could you expand on that please? Just curious.

#16 ·
It's just removal of the pins where there is a problem. Currently Matrix is our of stock, and no one else makes them, that I'm aware of. What you can do, using care, is try to use a 3/64" short pin punch to start the pin moving, then a longer one to drive it out. Use a 3mm pin punch to drive in the new one. Better yet would be to "turn" a 1/16" pin punch down to .060" diameter or a couple of thousands smaller.

#21 ·
They are out of stock and won't have any for a while because they are moving.

Reactions: Willard
#22 ·
I finally give up and made half round tool myself using bench grinder. Fortunatly pins come out pretty easy, no need to hit very hard. All is done, all got cleaned and pins are replaced with the new, P229 was pretty dirty inside after 2500 shots under extractor. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.