SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has picked up one of the simunition p226’s that Summit gunbroker had for sale. It looks like they just sold out, but I grabbed a couple for $289 and I’m curious to see what they look like. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow.
http://summitgunbroker.com/226-simunition.html

My understanding is that a 9mm barrel will convert them into a standard p226 and maybe the extractor will need to be replaced. Either way, it seems worth the price for parts alone. Now to decide what to do with them!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,041 Posts
This was discussed a couple of months ago. It, at that time was questionable, whether or not the frames/locking inserts were compatible. During my time in LE, a larger nearby agency had conversions (slide assemblies with magazines), for their firearms, which were like ours, P226 9mm W. German vintage.
I think as a measure of safety, I would inquire of Sig CS, the serial numbers of said Simunition firearms. The simunition ammunition did not operate at the same pressure levels, they were a bit lower, IIRC.

Reactions: Papa Sig

·
14,041 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Willard! For $289 I am OK with my gamble. Once I get my hands on them I will be able to tell if the frame is the same as a standard 226 or not.
The simunition 'kit' to convert a standard 226 to simunition consists of just a barrel and a 'ramp' that goes on the factory locking insert. I could see the factory simunition guns having a different locking insert but I cant imagine there are any differences to the frame that I couldn't modify myself but the only way to know for sure is to take one apart. My motivation for buying them was to have a 226 that was cheap enough for me to justify tinkering with and refinishing. Mission accomplished, now hopefully they will be good for more than just parts!

·
14,041 Posts
I found this by accident, researching another subject. This is concerning 9mm SESAMS which according to Wikipedia is the Simunitions ammunition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×19mm_Parabellum

I would suggest a "Ransom Rest" for initial "Live Fire" trials, for "Safeties Sake"...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mark at Summit told me he thought all that was needed for firing live ammo was a barrel and extractor. I considered it, but by the time you add a quality barrel, and especially a coat of Ceracoat to cover the blue, you could have bought a good used pistol.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I wouldn't even cover the blue on the frame, maybe put some new grips on and have the slide refinished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.