SIG Talk banner

Simunition P226

4125 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  darr3239
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has picked up one of the simunition p226’s that Summit gunbroker had for sale. It looks like they just sold out, but I grabbed a couple for $289 and I’m curious to see what they look like. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow.
http://summitgunbroker.com/226-simunition.html

My understanding is that a 9mm barrel will convert them into a standard p226 and maybe the extractor will need to be replaced. Either way, it seems worth the price for parts alone. Now to decide what to do with them!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,470 Posts
This was discussed a couple of months ago. It, at that time was questionable, whether or not the frames/locking inserts were compatible. During my time in LE, a larger nearby agency had conversions (slide assemblies with magazines), for their firearms, which were like ours, P226 9mm W. German vintage.
I think as a measure of safety, I would inquire of Sig CS, the serial numbers of said Simunition firearms. The simunition ammunition did not operate at the same pressure levels, they were a bit lower, IIRC.

Reactions: Papa Sig

15,470 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Willard! For $289 I am OK with my gamble. Once I get my hands on them I will be able to tell if the frame is the same as a standard 226 or not.
The simunition 'kit' to convert a standard 226 to simunition consists of just a barrel and a 'ramp' that goes on the factory locking insert. I could see the factory simunition guns having a different locking insert but I cant imagine there are any differences to the frame that I couldn't modify myself but the only way to know for sure is to take one apart. My motivation for buying them was to have a 226 that was cheap enough for me to justify tinkering with and refinishing. Mission accomplished, now hopefully they will be good for more than just parts!

15,470 Posts
I found this by accident, researching another subject. This is concerning 9mm SESAMS which according to Wikipedia is the Simunitions ammunition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×19mm_Parabellum

I would suggest a "Ransom Rest" for initial "Live Fire" trials, for "Safeties Sake"...

Good Luck!

· Registered
15 Posts
Mark at Summit told me he thought all that was needed for firing live ammo was a barrel and extractor. I considered it, but by the time you add a quality barrel, and especially a coat of Ceracoat to cover the blue, you could have bought a good used pistol.

· Registered
1,626 Posts
I wouldn't even cover the blue on the frame, maybe put some new grips on and have the slide refinished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.