SIG Talk banner

Simplify, or Diversify?

• Collect more P226's and train on those

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Keep your P320's - variety is the spice of life!

Votes: 10 34.5%
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
^^^^^^ phase 1: diversify as much as you can afford, THEN phase 2: simplify. (I am still in phase 1.)
This. Find out what works for your needs…not just one or two but all of them. This may mean more than one solution. If something no longer fits, move it on down the road. Always evaluating your current situation and modifying to fill gaps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Really appreciate all the responses! I needed some verification I wasn’t making a mistake. Going to clean up the plastic guns and take some glamour shots tomorrow, and off to Gunbroker they will go. Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
.357 sig
926 Posts
I like my 320 and 250, 320 is just for the range but I kinda like carrying the 250. With that said, I wouldn’t trade them for my 229 or 239 and you’re comparing an SSE to a 320! You might as well compare a Hi Point. 😎

·
Registered
131 Posts
You have made the right decision. You should keep what you like and sell what you don't. I am lucky that I have two 226s and two of the 3 series pistols and I can keep all of them. I love my 226s and will never sell them, but I shoot the striker fired pistols primarily. That is right for me, you have done what is right for you.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I have not shot a Sig striker-fired pistol. I have only put one shot through a Glock striker fired .45 ACP. It was very accurate. (But so is my 5" P220 DA/SA .45 ACP.)

I chose to go down the P series DA/SA road many years ago and have no desire to change paths.

IMHO, keep an open mind about the entire stable of P series DA/SA. So, don't rush out to buy another/more P226. Get a .22LR conversion barrel and magazine for your P226.
And save some money for a P239 DA/SA .357/.40 (and my guess is that there is also a Barsto or other 9mm barrel for that particular P239 frame. @Willard ?)

I have no interest in a SAO P series. Let me ask you guys and gals this: Is the trigger on a P series SAO any different/significantly better than a DA/SA P series which is cocked and, thus, SA?

(You know you are not required to make your first shot DA on a P series DA/SA pistol, although for carry it is good to train to do so.)

Reactions: LEEEAGLE and ben.b

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have not shot a Sig striker-fired pistol. I have only put one shot through a Glock striker fired .45 ACP. It was very accurate. (But so is my 5" P220 DA/SA .45 ACP.)

I chose to go down the P series DA/SA road many years ago and have no desire to change paths.

IMHO, keep an open mind about the entire stable of P series DA/SA. So, don't rush out to buy another/more P226. Get a .22LR conversion barrel and magazine for your P226.
And save some money for a P239 DA/SA .357/.40 (and my guess is that there is also a Barsto or other 9mm barrel for that particular P239 frame. @Willard ?)

I have no interest in a SAO P series. Let me ask you guys and gals this: Is the trigger on a P series SAO any different/significantly better than a DA/SA P series which is cocked and, thus, SA?

(You know you are not required to make your first shot DA on a P series DA/SA pistol, although for carry it is good to train to do so.)
Input is definitely appreciated! I want the second P226 as a complement to my SSE, and to serve a more serious HD/“duty” role while my SSE can be purely a range companion. I do have a secondhand P229 (W German frame) originally in .357SIG. It came to me kind of beat up so I updated it with replacement parts (Sig parts kit, Sig SRT trigger, Sig Armorer SuperStrut) and converted it to .40SW. Having some trouble getting it to feed reliably but that’s another story.
I’d love to have a P239 as you had mentioned, but I’m pretty reluctant to invest in a gun model that Sig has discontinued and thus parts and mags will become rarer as the years go on. I have a P365 for edc and really love it. I don’t mind this particular plastic striker gun for edc since it does the job so well.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I do love my m18 striker fired, but just feel comfortable with a da/sa , might be my age I don’t know, I carry it with a safety in an appendix holster, but prefer a 229 that’s not on safety

Reactions: ben.b

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My experience has been that every time I try to unclutter my gun safe by eliminating calibers and/or platforms I ALWAYS eventually end up back with the same guns/calibers. Always. I've done it several times over the years. One example, I tried to eliminate 1911's from my life and I did. I got rid of about a dozen of them. Fast forward to today and I'm back up to about a half dozen and I've been eyeing a particular 10mm for a couple of weeks. My resolve is weakening on that one too.

Good luck but if you're like most of us it's impossible to permanently eliminate guns/calibers that we like. They keep showing up in my safe and I have no idea how they get there.

·
🎖USA Retired
390 Posts
Well I'd say somewhat simply diversify. Clear as mud right. I'd say most of us here are as shooters are also somewhat preppers. So if you have a few or several of the P-2 series or P-3 series so be it. You may like one more than the other and not hate either.
But it is probably for the better if you have knowledge and experience with both series. Not to mention to have a little variety on hand. So if mess hits the fan you have more options plan A-ZZZ.
I'd say stock up on your favorite but don't turn down a good deal either. More Sigs and mags for them is always better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When i went through this same dilemma a few years ago, it was about caliber. I couldn’t do this based on hand gun types. Hammered fired > Striker fired if I was forced to choose. 😁

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have both.
I prefer a P226 SAO -- it is a Legion model. Much nicer pistol than the DA/SA models and the Legion has enhancements installed at the factory and other perks.
I have P320 and enjoy the XFive Legion model with the tungsten-infused grip module and 5" barrel. It's a range tool. I have an M17 for home defense.
Right now, I want a manual safety on my defensive pistols so I go with the P365 family. The P226 is too heavy for me now but when I was younger (and stronger), a pistol that weight was okay.
I have carried both hammer-fired and striker-fired pistols; both are good. I have carried revolvers and they are good also.
One request, as a fellow citizen, whatever you carry, please PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I want you to shoot the bad guy and not me.
HTH

21 - 35 of 35 Posts