SIG Talk banner

Silencers reduce impact?

814 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  7.62Kolectr
After reading the post about the silencer trust it occurred to me that I was once in a training class where the instructor spoke about silencers and their effectiveness, how the baffles work, etc.

I'm developing a mild interest in getting a silencer.

But he mentioned something about silencers reducing impact damage when a round is fired thru them. Is this accurate? If so, why?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
6,262 Posts
I've never used one, but I can't imagine it would be much, if at all. If was ineffective then SPECOPS would not use them.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
...If was ineffective then SPECOPS would not use them.
U be meaning, warriers? :lol:

Rifles: Anecdotally, tiny gains in muzzle velocity / energy.
Pistols: No idea. Maybe some gains.

On the side - any autoloader: more dirt, increased wear and tear from more energetic cycling, more dirt, more gas, more dirt... And all that stuff that normally gets blown out the muzzle during regular firing? It sets up shop in your action, the barrel, your face, the threads, etc...

After watching that video... Wow! During that time, that was probably anywhere between twennyfive to thirtee dollerz up in smoke! That coulda fed lotsa people, somewhere around the world... Puts things into perspective.

And don't be swayed by the comments which mention, "...I can't imagine why you'd use anything other than subsonic ammunition with a silencer." I can assure you that all my rifle rounds are of the supersonic variety, but I shoot for different reasons :lol:

· Registered
7,825 Posts
U mean, warriers? :lol:

Rifles: Tiny gains in muzzle velocity / energy.
Pistols: No idea. Maybe some gains.

On the side - any autoloader: more dirt, increased wear and tear from more energetic cycling, more dirt, more gas, more dirt...

And don't be swayed by the comments which mention, "...I can't imagine why you'd use anything other than subsonic ammunition with a silencer." I can assure you that all my rifle rounds still go supersonic, but for different reasons :lol:
I don't even shoot subs anymore. No need to silently take out Somali pirates or anything. Full power regular loads for me as the supersonic crack will still only be heard downrange. Just a significant reduction in muzzle blast for an HD gun is what I like.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
...No need to silently take out Somali pirates or anything.
But I confess, I occasionally apply my skillz in shooting imaginary Somali pirates... :lol:

Pew pew pew pew pew

· Registered
102 Posts
He's full of it. When rounds are fired through a conventional can with no wipes, the velocity actually increases very slightly, all else being equal.

Now, if he's talking about subs or employing wipes, that's a completely different story. KE goes down with speed.

If it's going to be a dedicated host, lay out the cash for a piston gun from somewhere like PWS.

· Registered
7,825 Posts
He's full of it. When rounds are fired through a conventional can with no wipes, the velocity actually increases very slightly, all else being equal.

Now, if he's talking about subs or employing wipes, that's a completely different story. KE goes down with speed.

If it's going to be a dedicated host, lay out the cash for a piston gun from somewhere like PWS.
Like this?
Her name is Thumper :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.