SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SS suppressor (awaiting paperwork/stamp) for a full-size .45 that I plan to use for home/ self defense. As a nightstand gun, is a suppressor an advantage as far as saving hearing in an indoor environment- or a liability as far as over-readiness/ overeager indication, etc.?
Would it be a hazard as far as length/ maneuverability or shadowing from handheld or (under-)mounted light?
If away from the home, like in your car-- would it not be worth the optics/ impression to a jury if charges were (more likely?) filed?

Range/ Hunting/ Home...?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wear eye-pro. Depending on gun/ammo/suppressor combination, your likely to get some gas and/or debris back in your face.

It'll definitely help with the sound but they still ain't quiet. I've(personally, you do you) soured on pistols with cans on them. I think a braced pistol/sbr is the better way to go if you're going to suppress it. YMMV

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
Suppressors have some pros/cons no doubt.

They add substantial length to the pistol which makes it considerably easier to disarm you if a hostile gets in close quarters. Similar to the comparison of a snub nose revolver vs a 6+ inch barrel.

Regarding perception/legal ramifications... if you smoke someone with a suppressor on your pistol it will DEFINITELY raise some eyebrows. Lawful self defense is lawful self defense no matter which lawful tool you use, but if you find yourself in any sort of grey area I don't think a suppressor will work to your advantage.

Are they worth it? Hard to say. I've never had to defend my home with OR without a suppressor. I can't recall of ever reading a self defense encounter where a suppressor was used.

·
Banned
1,792 Posts
IF,the report of any firearm is of concern with or without a suppressor-

1. You are NOT concentrating on the task at hand.

2. Use archery equipment or a base ball bat.

·
Banned
252 Posts
I have a SS suppressor (awaiting paperwork/stamp) for a full-size .45 that I plan to use for home/ self defense. As a nightstand gun, is a suppressor an advantage as far as saving hearing in an indoor environment- or a liability as far as over-readiness/ overeager indication, etc.?
Would it be a hazard as far as length/ maneuverability or shadowing from handheld or (under-)mounted light?
If away from the home, like in your car-- would it not be worth the optics/ impression to a jury if charges were (more likely?) filed?

Range/ Hunting/ Home...?
Just use an 870 and forget your hearing. One or two shots won't matter. If you're worrying about a jury, you didn't kill the witness (perp).

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
In the event that I ever have to defend my home and my family, hearing issues will be the LAST thing I worry about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not a lawyer, and this is my personal thinking (keep in mind I have no kids, or others in the house except the wife):

If I can escape to safety with the wife and call the cops, that will be my first option. If not, and I can reach my safe with a suppressed firearm, I'll do so and lockdown the door to our bedroom. However, I'm not looking to confront an intruder, or clear my home room by room. That's a job for the cops. If they come through said locked door, I know they mean us harm, and at that point I'm not worried about looking overeager -- suppressed or not.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have no real experience but just to provide my own opinions. Imagine what reaction your wife and kids may have when you fired a shot inside a bed room. It maybe fine if it only took you one shot. Imaging what if you have to fire several shots during a stand-off with the bad guy. In my case they will become so terrified such that they will greatly and negatively impact my capability to protect them. I may not be able to communicate to them verbally without shouting which would only drive everyone crazier out of their mind. So I’d vote for a suppressor. It’s not quiet but tolerable.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Liability

Reactions: bearone2

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
S
They add substantial length to the pistol which makes it considerably easier to disarm you
My thoughts exactly. Plus, if you have a light attached, I wonder if this would cast some shawdows?

I opted for a Mossberg 590 Shockwave in FDE. https://modernwarriors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Mossberg-590-Shockwave-FDE-1.jpg

I have a Monstrum side saddle to mount but I am waiting for my Crimson Trace to arrive. That needs to be mounted first, from what I have been reading.

I will also be pairing it up with some Aguila Minishells, both buckshot and slugs.

Yes, noise will be a factor if used inside a home. Most criminals will recognize the sound of chambering a round a pump makes. That in itself may scare them off

I am not paranoid but I figure if anyone ever tries to break then they intend to do us harm. I only have one shot (no pun intended) at protecting myself and family. There won't be any do-overs.

If I have to use it that will give me time to get to some handguns or AR pistol or other shotguns.

So that's my "nightstand" gun...actually mounted under be rails with a magnet.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Plus, if you have a light attached, I wonder if this would cast some shawdows?

I opted for a Mossberg 590 Shockwave in FDE. https://modernwarriors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Mossberg-590-Shockwave-FDE-1.jpg

I have a Monstrum side saddle to mount but I am waiting for my Crimson Trace to arrive. That needs to be mounted first, from what I have been reading.

I will also be pairing it up with some Aguila Minishells, both buckshot and slugs.

Yes, noise will be a factor if used inside a home. Most criminals will recognize the sound of chambering a round a pump makes. That in itself may scare them off

I am not paranoid but I figure if anyone ever tries to break then they intend to do us harm. I only have one shot (no pun intended) at protecting myself and family. There won't be any do-overs.

If I have to use it that will give me time to get to some handguns or AR pistol or other shotguns.

So that's my "nightstand" gun...actually mounted under be rails with a magnet.
+1 ^^^^^^ I keep my Mossy with TLR-4 laser/light under the bed in an RF controlled Safe. RF wristband and RF button on back of my cell phone which is on Wife's nightstand. She calls 911 and clears to exit window behind us, while I get Mossy ready.
I have a chain on our entry door. I know it won't stop a determined intruder, but a broken chain will show forced entry and intent to cause harm. If you inadvertently open or even crack a door to see who's there and they push their way in; without a broken door chain there's no proof of forced entry and of course they'll say in court that you 'invited' them in. :( We hope it never happens.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I’m all for silencers on pistols in a home defense role, even configuring my p226 and p320c for a silencerco omega k can for hd. My only concern would be making the pistol too long or unbalanced. I’m not so concerned with it being taken from me as any rifle or shotgun has that problem too. I like pistols better for indoors, easier to access and keep ready, no safeties to fuss with. Anyway I keep a jframe always near by to stuff in my shorts pocket as a backup if there is a tussle.

I’d rather protect my hearing and stay alive over any potential legal consequences.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I personally would opt out of the silencer for home defense. Should the attack include multiple intruders, I want loud bangs and bright flashes - hopefully bringing to bear a tremendous level of discouragement for anyone to hang around.

Reactions: Winkmeister

·
Registered
361 Posts
If the extra length of the can makes it easier to disarm you, he's way too close and you're probably going hand to hand at that point. Shooting inside is going to be deafening making it harder to communicate with family and to hear the invaders. My 9s are pretty much hearing safe with 147 with my Octane and it makes follow up shots a snap. I guess the only reason I don't keep mine on my bedside 320 is that it doesn't fit muzzle first into the bookshelf by the bed.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I personally would opt out of the silencer for home defense. Should the attack include multiple intruders, I want loud bangs and bright flashes - hopefully bringing to bear a tremendous level of discouragement for anyone to hang around.
This would be one of the logical arguments on why not to use one.
Sometimes the sudden BOOM BOOM BOOMS will scatter them.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I have an Osprey on a P229 for night stand, I also have a rail mounted weapon light and Crimson Trace grips. Shadows are not an issue, blowback in not an issue (though there is a small amount of blowback when shooting outdoors (I determined this by shooting "wet" which is putting water or similar, I used wire pulling gel, in the can to reduce FRP [first round pop]) that little experiment had small particles of soot blackened gel on my face - might have blown back in the wind. Anyway it was not bad blowback one might experience shooting a direct impingement AR with a can - a piston upper or conversion makes a huge difference.

In terms of impact on whether a shooting is justified, I don't see that as being a factor. I'm simply trying to preserve what little hearing I have left. If that ever were a factor, then the shooting was not "a good one" in the first place.

I use both an AR pistol and P229 40 for home defense - both with cans. Besides protecting night vision (cans eliminate almost all muzzle flash, which is very considerable with an AR pistol), can significantly reduce recoil by all but eliminating secondary recoil.

Overall, using a can for HD is a strong plus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New guy to the forum. My TacOps is hushed. If you have never shot your defense weapon in a room like you may defend yourself in its worth it once only. IT IS DISORIENTING. Instead of the FN 40 compact that used to be under the headboard its now the silenced Tacops 45.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts