SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SIG's SRD762TI-QD rides on my MCX 9" 300Blk, and after 5 or 6 range trips we're getting to know one another pretty well now. I like this can's function and light weight a lot, but her 'QD' ain't necessarily so..

This thing locks up on the SRD muzzle adapter with even a light hand tightening. And I do mean locks up!! After the initial range time, I've had to use large 1.5" channel pliers to bust her loose with every removal.

I've wiped & brushed out the QD's threads with every range trip's cleaning, and the manual says not to use any lube. She NEVER comes loose while shooting, and that's good...

Are you guys using a wrench to remove your SRD762TI-'QD'?

Cheers

Attachments

馃帠USN Retired
I read where you can use a 22MM? There is videos of someone using a wrench to take it off if you cant by hand.

Resident Armorer Premium Member
kansascity45, would "anti-seize" be considered "lube"? I could see lubricant under the heat and pressure available possibly turning to "carbon" seizing the threads, but that is what "anti-seize" was developed for... just thinking out loud.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read where you can use a 22MM? There is videos of someone using a wrench to take it off if you cant by hand.
OK, thanks. A wrench is better than these pliers - That's a big wrench!!

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
kansascity45, would "anti-seize" be considered "lube"? I could see lubricant under the heat and pressure available possibly turning to "carbon" seizing the threads, but that is what "anti-seize" was developed for... just thinking out loud.
Yeah, good idea. I have some copper based anti-seize rated to ~2,000f - that might do the trick!

EDIT: In fairness, I should add that my Surefire SOCOM556-RC's QD sometimes does the same thing. I mean, occasionally after running couple hundred rounds, SOCOM needs an iron touch to break loose too. Surefire's QD has a more secure ratcheting system that clicks ~5 distinct times before stopping, where as I notice SIG's soft click maybe once. This SIG SRD also consistently gets the jaws...

Cheers

Registered
My surefire cans are the same. If you shoot them, let them cool and then try to take em off it's pretty difficult. My trick is a large oven mitt. Use it to take the can off while it's still semi-hot. Also gives you a much better grip on the can itself. Try it. And this way you're not putting a wrench on your pretty can either. :)

馃帠USN Retired
My surefire cans are the same. If you shoot them, let them cool and then try to take em off it's pretty difficult. My trick is a large oven mitt. Use it to take the can off while it's still semi-hot. Also gives you a much better grip on the can itself. Try it. And this way you're not putting a wrench on your pretty can either. :)
A grilling mitt is a good one too... Or, just have someone Hold Your Beer and just twist it off with bare hands.... J/K

Reactions: bblr

Registered
A grilling mitt is a good one too... Or, just have someone Hold Your Beer and just twist it off with bare hands.... J/K
Sometimes you won't even see a mirage coming off it, it ain't steaming nor is it red hot. But one time I laid a rifle with one down on a plastic picnic table and it abut melted the table in half.

Registered
Wonder why they design it so tight? My AAC SDN-6 always twists right off even after a hundred hot 308 rounds on the P716. Just let it cool and twist.

Reactions: kansascity45

Registered
Hey Kansas! Thank you for the heads up. Just recently secured both Sig 5.56 and 7.62 TiQDs, but have not had any range time yet (have some friends in need and everything else taking a back seat for a while).

Quick question. have you noticed any QD performance associated with number of rounds? Or does the QD lock down regardless of rounds fired. I noticed my QDs sometimes get an attitude even dry...

When using my GemTechs, I had to clean them half way through my range time....helped keep the threads clear, but more touch labor than preferred. I switched from Teflon tape to using the anti-seize compound (you recommended) and it has been a major improvement. But, guessing the QDs may be a different animal. Looking forward to other user experiences.

Registered
Tolerances may be tight, to stay on rather than come off..
Both my SDN-6s have a very slight bit of rotational looseness when properly installed and never comes loose. No issues with POI shift or function. There are several systems out there that are designed to have this fit to solve the the problem of locked up suppressors, no worry of the suppressor coming off unless there is a failure of the latches, even then it would take a bit for that to happen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...Quick question. have you noticed any QD performance associated with number of rounds? Or does the QD lock down regardless of rounds fired. I noticed my QDs sometimes get an attitude even dry...

When using my GemTechs, I had to clean them half way through my range time....helped keep the threads clear, but more touch labor than preferred. I switched from Teflon tape to using the anti-seize compound...
The Surefire'QD does seem to only lock only after hundred rounds or so, and the SIG's initial range time was too. After 300rds, the SIG now locks when cold, just cleaned, and hand tight...

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After talking to SIG's suppressor guys couple times, they talked me into spending a few dollars more to get a 1 1/2" steel wrench to use on their cans. They though the strap wrench options probably work, but thought their QD's retention latch would engage with a narrow wrench faster and more firmly.

This Stanley Proto wrench seems fine. It does scratch the can's flat landings, but no worries here with that.

FYI - something that seemed to make these SIG folks nervous was torquing the barrel while it was installed on the upper receiver. They strongly suggest that if any significant torque is required to remove the suppressor, PLEASE remove the barrel from the receiver - before using any torque.

I'm assuming they are concerned the barrel extension's positioning pins could be sheared off in their mortised slots, or the upper's barrel receiver assembly's could be damaged...

Cheers

Attachments

馃帠USN Retired
After talking to SIG's suppressor guys couple times, they talked me into spending a few dollars more to get a 1 1/2" steel wrench to use on their cans. They though the strap wrench options probably work, but thought their QD's retention latch would engage with a narrow wrench faster and more firmly.

This Stanley Proto wrench seems fine. It does scratch the can's flat landings, but no worries here with that.

FYI - something that seemed to make these SIG folks nervous was torquing the barrel while it was installed on the upper receiver. They strongly suggest that if any significant torque is required to remove the suppressor, PLEASE remove the barrel from the receiver - before using any torque.

I'm assuming they are concerned the barrel extension's positioning pins could be sheared off in their mortised slots, or the upper's barrel receiver assembly's could be damaged...

Cheers
Thanks for the data. Mine will be used, if needed, on a 516 and 300BLK SBR from PSA.

Registered
Hey Kansas. Did Sig indicate this was acceptable behavior for their QD design? Somehow does not make sense to charge a premium for the QD version that requires more touch labor that their less expensive direct thread suppressors. Makes my head hurt!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, you're right. IMO SIG's QD needs some polishing - literally!! When I made my frustration & concerns clear, SIG offered to send me a shipping label anytime to remove the SRD for me. Obviously - that's a QD solution that's totally unacceptable...

The good news is that these cans aren't coming off during our rifles operations. But, as I suspected - SRD QDs ain't really QD...

Cheers

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.