SIG Talk banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
By the looks of things, he’s not testing with the skeletonized trigger that comes with the CW FCU. He’s only testing using the sig flat trigger. So yes, in this scenario, the CW FCU is different than the SCORPION AXG FCU by nature of the triggers being different.

It sounds like what you need is the results of a test from someone else who has:

-the CW FCU with the skeletonized trigger installed

-The AXG & a polymer grip modules

This way, you can compare the results with the ones that @miula posted.
I can test the regular SIG flat trigger from my X-Compact on the CW FCU with both polymer and AXG grip module, but I don’t have a Scorpion FCU to test alongside it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can test the regular SIG flat trigger from my X-Compact on the CW FCU with both polymer and AXG grip module, but I don’t have a Scorpion FCU to test alongside it???

This would still be useful. I'd be curious to see if you found any difference between the flat trigger and the skeletonized trigger between polymer and AXG grip (basically all permutations comparing them that you can do). I'd also be curious if there was any difference in how the CW FCU with both those triggers, compares to your non CW FCU with both those triggers in polymer vs AXG.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This would still be useful. I'd be curious to see if you found any difference between the flat trigger and the skeletonized trigger between polymer and AXG grip (basically all permutations comparing them that you can do). I'd also be curious if there was any difference in how the CW FCU with both those triggers, compares to your non CW FCU with both those triggers in polymer vs AXG.
I’ll test it tomorrow and report back.

If memory doesn’t fail, the trigger pull dropped about 1 lbs when I switched the X-Compact FCU from the flat trigger to the skeletonized trigger and went back to the flat trigger because I didn’t feel comfortable with a lower pull weight on a carry gun...

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,112 Posts
I’ll test it tomorrow and report back.

If memory doesn’t fail, the trigger pull dropped about 1 lbs when I switched the X-Compact FCU from the flat trigger to the skeletonized trigger and went back to the flat trigger because I didn’t feel comfortable with a lower pull weight on a carry gun...

It will be interesting to see your findings.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok, here we go, the plot thickens because the difference was much smaller than I erroneously remembered yet there is more of a difference with the X-Compact FCU than I thought...

All trigger pull weights measured as close as possible to the middle of the trigger with three pulls to confirm with a digital Lyman gauge...

Stock trigger = SIG TiNi coated skeletonized trigger (aka X5 Legion, AXG Scorpion but TiNi)
Flat trigger = SIG flat non-skeletonized trigger (aka X-Series)

Previous testing:

CW FCU - stock trigger - AXG grip module - 3.1 lbs
CW FCU - stock trigger - WC Carry II grip module - 3.4 lbs
CW FCU - stock trigger - X-Compact grip module - 3.2 lbs
CW FCU - Gray Guns competition system with light springs - AXG grip module - 2.1 lbs
CW FCU - Gray Guns competition system with intermediate springs - AXG grip module - 2.8 lbs
CW FCU - GG polished sear & pin, stock springs, Armory Craft dual adjustable trigger - AXG grip module - 2.9 lbs

New testing (and yes I removed the GG sear/pin/springs and went back to stock for this):

CW FCU - flat trigger - AXG grip module - 3.3 lbs
CW FCU - flat trigger - WC Carry II grip module - 3.7 lbs
CW FCU - flat trigger - X-Compact grip module - 3.5 lbs
X-Compact FCU - flat trigger - AXG grip module - 4.2 lbs
X-Compact FCU - flat trigger - WC Carry II grip module - 4.7 lbs
X-Compact FCU - flat trigger - X-Compact grip module - 4.6 lbs
X-Compact FCU - skeletonized trigger - AXG grip module - 4.0 lbs
X-Compact FCU - skeletonized trigger - WC Carry II grip module - 4.4 lbs
X-Compact FCU - skeletonized trigger - X-Compact grip module - 4.2 lbs

Talk about confusing... the difference in pull weight on the CW FCU with the stock trigger vs. the flat non-skeleton trigger is only 0.2 - 0.3 lbs higher on average depending on grip module choice with the WC consistently showing the highest numbers across the board, it's also the most difficult to instal and remove the FCU into (likely due to being newer and less expansion of the polymer)...

Just to make it more confusing, there is a difference of 0.9 - 1.2 lbs between the CW FCU and X-Compact FCU, the later being consistently higher even with the same trigger and grip module...

Hypothetical conclusions:

1) trigger pull weight reduction between the skeletonized and non-skeletonized factory triggers is negligible and mostly results in the perception of decreased pull weight, perhaps smoother pull...

2) There is a small pull weight difference of 0.1 - 0.5 lbs between the AXG alloy grip module and the polymer grip modules, the later being consistently higher likely due to increased resistance of the polymer...

3) There is a more pronounced difference of 0.9 - 1.2 lbs in trigger pull weight between the CW FCU and the X-Compact FCU, the later being consistently heavier regardless of trigger or grip module and taken into account it's definitely broken in at 5k + rounds through it vs. 300 rounds on the CW FCU (sorry, I am hoarding ammo)... I did replace the trigger return spring on the X-Compact FCU about a month ago so perhaps that has something to do with it but then again the CW FCU is basically new at this point... I did notice the trigger return spring on the X-Compact FCU is silver colored (replacement the same) and the CW FCU trigger return spring is more of a reddish/gold color...

Next round of testing with warm guns; I'll try my best to test some configs after putting 50 rounds through each before measuring trigger pull weight to see how much thermal expansion of the different materials affects things if at all...

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok, here we go, the plot thickens because the difference was much smaller than I erroneously remembered yet there is more of a difference with the X-Compact FCU than I thought...

All trigger pull weights measured as close as possible to the middle of the trigger with three pulls to confirm with a digital Lyman gauge...

Stock trigger = SIG TiNi coated skeletonized trigger (aka X5 Legion, AXG Scorpion but TiNi)

Previous testing:

CW FCU - Gray Guns competition system with light springs - AXG grip module - 2.1 lbs
CW FCU - Gray Guns competition system with intermediate springs - AXG grip module - 2.8 lbs
CW FCU - GG polished sear & pin, stock springs, Armory Craft dual adjustable trigger - AXG grip module - 2.9 lbs

New testing (and yes I removed the GG sear/pin/springs and went back to stock for this):

Talk about confusing... the difference in pull weight on the CW FCU with the stock trigger vs. the flat non-skeleton trigger is only 0.2 - 0.3 lbs higher on average depending on grip module choice with the WC consistently showing the highest numbers across the board, it's also the most difficult to instal and remove the FCU into (likely due to being newer and less expansion of the polymer)...

Just to make it more confusing, there is a difference of 0.9 - 1.2 lbs between the CW FCU and X-Compact FCU, the later being consistently higher even with the same trigger and grip module...

1) trigger pull weight reduction between the skeletonized and non-skeletonized factory triggers is negligible and mostly results in the perception of decreased pull weight, perhaps smoother pull...

2) There is a small pull weight difference of 0.1 - 0.5 lbs between the AXG alloy grip module and the polymer grip modules, the later being consistently higher likely due to increased resistance of the polymer...

3) There is a more pronounced difference of 0.9 - 1.2 lbs in trigger pull weight between the CW FCU and the X-Compact FCU, the later being consistently heavier regardless of trigger or grip module and taken into account it's definitely broken in at 5k + rounds through it vs. 300 rounds on the CW FCU (sorry, I am hoarding ammo)... I did replace the trigger return spring on the X-Compact FCU about a month ago so perhaps that has something to do with it but then again the CW FCU is basically new at this point... I did notice the trigger return spring on the X-Compact FCU is silver colored (replacement the same) and the CW FCU trigger return spring is more of a reddish/gold color...

Next round of testing with warm guns; I'll try my best to test some configs after putting 50 rounds through each before measuring trigger pull weight to see how much thermal expansion of the different materials affects things if at all...

Stay tuned...
again, thank you for testing!

the plot seems to have thickened

·
Registered
319 Posts
I might also be allegedly, potentially, possibly looking to pick up an AXG Scorpion in the name of science (yeah right)...

Just don't tell my wife or I'll be looking for a new place as well...

·
Registered
107 Posts

Stay tuned...
Very interesting. Thank you for doing this testing.

It would appear that not all FCUs end up with the same trigger pull weight. While some have attributed all this to the AXG Scorpion FCU having super low trigger weight, I think it really can just be chalked up to each FCU and associated parts being slightly different and end up with varying trigger pull weights. I don't think it's because the AXG FCU or the CW FCU are "better" or tuned differently, just random variability in part production. Clearly the grip module does have an impact, but smaller amounts, not a 1 pound difference strictly from a grip change.

I have an M17 FCU (with skeletonized trigger and over 10K rounds through it) and CW FCU (less than 200 rounds). I don't have a trigger gauge, but by feel, they are fundamentally the same. I also have a flat trigger which I've used in the M17 FCU and after switching to the skelotonized, I would estimate the trigger weight change was negligible (at most .2 - .3 of a pound less).

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts

Previous testing:

Stay tuned...
Great job. Thank for taking the time to do this analysis.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Very interesting. Thank you for doing this testing.

It would appear that not all FCUs end up with the same trigger pull weight. While some have attributed all this to the AXG Scorpion FCU having super low trigger weight, I think it really can just be chalked up to each FCU and associated parts being slightly different and end up with varying trigger pull weights. I don't think it's because the AXG FCU or the CW FCU are "better" or tuned differently, just random variability in part production. Clearly the grip module does have an impact, but smaller amounts, not a 1 pound difference strictly from a grip change.

I have an M17 FCU (with skeletonized trigger and over 10K rounds through it) and CW FCU (less than 200 rounds). I don't have a trigger gauge, but by feel, they are fundamentally the same. I also have a flat trigger which I've used in the M17 FCU and after switching to the skelotonized, I would estimate the trigger weight change was negligible (at most .2 - .3 of a pound less).
I honestly couldn't feel a difference in trigger pull and I am an oral surgeon so I have somewhat decent tactile dexterity...

It wasn't until I found, dusted off and actually used the Lyman gauge that I saw the difference...

They still feel exactly the same to me with a measured variation of around 1 lbs... the only one that felt substantially lighter was the CW FCU with the full GG kit and light springs, sear, pin, etc in the AXG module that measured in at 2.1 lbs and even then it's subtle... not like my MCX Virtus that I can definitely tell is substantially heavier than my P320's (should have measured the MCX)...

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong but we still don't have a comparison between the AXG Scorpion FCU and the CW FCU. Are the same or is there a difference?

·
Registered
107 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong but we still don't have a comparison between the AXG Scorpion FCU and the CW FCU. Are the same or is there a difference?
I don't think there were any posts of someone with both an AXG Scorpion FCU and CW FCU that did the same kind of tests with both FCUs in an AXG and Polymer grips.
It's still possible the AXG FCU gets sprinkled with fairy dust before it leaves the factory, but I think most of the initial testers of it that reported low trigger pull weights didn't test the same FCU in a polymer frame.

Actually, I was just going through some threads and found one of yours where you posted that your AXG Scorpion has a 2 pound 7 ounce trigger weight and that you have a P320 x compact. Have you tested the trigger weight pull of your AXG FCU in one of your polymer frames and your P320 x compact FCU in your AXG? I think those results would be meaningful too.

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts
I don't think there were any posts of someone with both an AXG Scorpion FCU and CW FCU that did the same kind of tests with both FCUs in an AXG and Polymer grips.
It's still possible the AXG FCU gets sprinkled with fairy dust before it leaves the factory, but I think most of the initial testers of it that reported low trigger pull weights didn't test the same FCU in a polymer frame.

Actually, I was just going through some threads and found one of yours where you posted that your AXG Scorpion has a 2 pound 7 ounce trigger weight and that you have a P320 x compact. Have you tested the trigger weight pull of your AXG FCU in one of your polymer frames and your P320 x compact FCU in your AXG? I think those results would be meaningful too.

I have not done that yet but at some point I will. I do, however , still want to know the difference between the CW FCU and the AXG FCU. That might be difficult to get since most people who own the AXG Scorpion probably won't buy the CW FCU to build another gun.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts