SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my P226 Elite Stainless for a little while, and I was having some trouble getting sighted in, and I noticed, my front sight isn't centered. It's a little bit off. I've frankly never had that happen before, and wasn't really thinking about it, but I was noticing that I had to shift my aim, and that just didn't seem right. LOL So... is that a common thing? I can't believe they "sighted it in" and that's why it's not dead center, right? I'm sure I can get someone to fix it...as annoying as that is when you pay over a grand for a handgun... Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
I've had a couple that I needed to adjust for my POA. I don't think it's unusual.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't think they do any sighting in at the factory, they just put the sights on and call it good. Several of mine have had the sights installed all over the place lately, mostly left of center.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Prior to moving the sight, I would advocate you check Point of Aim/Point of Impact (POA/POI) from a bench rest. I've had several handguns that shot true POA/POI and the sights were not centered. Confirm first the need to move, then determine how much movement is needed, if any. By shooting from a bench rest, could be as simple as your range bag, you can eliminate shooter influence from the equation and look only at the influence of the weapon.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Prior to moving the sight, I would advocate you check Point of Aim/Point of Impact (POA/POI) from a bench rest. I've had several handguns that shot true POA/POI and the sights were not centered. Confirm first the need to move, then determine how much movement is needed, if any. By shooting from a bench rest, could be as simple as your range bag, you can eliminate shooter influence from the equation and look only at the influence of the weapon.
^^^^this^^^^

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
They probably just eyeball it at the factory as the sights are drift adjustable. I've had them dead on and biased left or right. Put the bare slide in a vice, carefully pad it with rags so you don't mar the finish. Using a little block of wood or wood dow and a small hammer gently tap the sights to where you need them. Don't use a brass or steel punch against the sights or you will damage them. I use a little hardwood block against the sight it holds up better than a dow but either will work and not damage the sights.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that bit of advice. Yes, they're definitely slightly left of center, but no, I haven't put them on a bench. Smart first step, didn't think of it. LOL I'll get on that.

·
Registered
17,784 Posts
I've got a number of guns that had to have the sights off center in order for them to shoot POA=POI and a number where the sights are centered for the same effect.

It's pretty normal.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
My SP2022 had both front and rear sights far enough off to the left that I could see it, and I'm no gunsmith. I could have sent it back and SIG would have taken care of it, but that would have taken some time and inconvenience. My LGS gunsmith took care of it while I waited for $25.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't think they do any sighting in at the factory, they just put the sights on and call it good. Several of mine have had the sights installed all over the place lately, mostly left of center.
according to the sig cs rep i spoke to when i called for 2 mag issues and i asked about the sights being off, they said they do not "sight them in" they center them "close enough" and test fire and send them out

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 226 Legion had the rear sight noticeably left of center. There was NO room from the edge of where the dovetail starts to the side of the sight. And it was shooting 1-2.5" left for me. I bought a sight pusher and moved the rear to the right just a scoche, and not there is about the same amount of room on both sides of the sight. Shoots much better.

As for needing to verify the need to move, I do understand what you guys are saying about the bench vice or rest, etc.... But I have to think that what's important, is that where I'm aiming is where I'm hitting. I don't care whether its MY bias. and maybe I shoot, "screwey". lmao. Its my gun, and I want the bullets to go where "my" sight picture says they should go. So I'd happily fix it again. Whether it needs it or not. lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I'm somewhat disappointed that they're "good enough" from the factory. I'd think a PREMIUM brand would start them in a true zero position, assuming the rest of the gun is maghined at true zero. Maybe my thinking is off. Shrug.

Reactions: hodge

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I guess I'm somewhat disappointed that they're "good enough" from the factory. I'd think a PREMIUM brand would start them in a true zero position, assuming the rest of the gun is maghined at true zero. Maybe my thinking is off. Shrug.
I agree, but it is what it is. I've bought other brands with the sights not centered- it happens. For the record, I've never gotten a Sig with the sights off.

That's why I've invested in a couple of sight pushers. If they come that way, it's an easy thing to take care of.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Have you sighted it from a rest yet? Let's not get all wound up until you know where you are.

Not yet... this is my 10 yard target from this weekend. Target on the right is the 226, target on the right is my 320. 50 rounds each. You can see how I have a lot of paint no the right side, before I "figured it out" and moved the sight picture to this:

]I [

But yes, I'm going to put in on a bench to prove it out... just like I'm saying, it's nothing I've ever experienced in 30 years of shooting dozens of guns. The front sight is visibly left of center.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's not uncommon for brand new iron sights to be a little bit off from the factory. Sig doesn't do anything more than eyeball it.
To be honest, eyeballing will get you dead-on first time 95% of the time.
I use a boresight (in the barrel, not in the chamber) to check before taking it to the range and testing. If any corrections need to be made they are usually visible after closer inspection.

Adjusting sights is inevitable, its not a big deal and a worthwhile skill to have.
I compare it to sharpening in woodworking. It doesn't matter how sharp/dull the tool is out of the box because you are going to end up sharpening it eventually so you should learn how.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So... *and I promise to bench it first* .... can anyone recommend a good sight pushing tool? I've seen a lot of them just looking around a bit but I don't like buying cheap junky stuff, or stuff that doesn't work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts