SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good initial distance to rough sight in an A2 style AR 15 in .223/5.56? Given the height of the sights above the bore and how flat the .223 shoots, I would think 25 yards would result in way high at 100.

Please let me know if you have a range that works.

Reactions: Nbop

·
Registered
130 Posts
Standard A2 sight elevation settings are 300/400/500/600/700/800 yards
National Match A2 sight elevation settings are 300/400/500/600 yards
A2 sights are 2.7" above the center of the bore.

below is a plot of bullet drop for a 55g bullet with muzzle velocity of 3240ft/sec slowing to 2232 ft/sec at 300 yards

The point of aim is shown for both standard and NM A2 rear sight settings. If you set the range to 300 yards (flat spot on elevation knob) then point of aim should equal the point of impact at both 50 and 300 yards. And the elevation knob settings tracks the bullet trajectory.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sir! 50 yards it is.

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
"50 and 200" is a very common zeroing in the U.S. Military, LE, and with instructors. But it's not the only one.

·
Banned
17,715 Posts
"50 and 200" is a very common zeroing in the U.S. Military, LE, and with instructors. But it's not the only one.
Nope. We sighted in at 25 meters when I was in. You were good to around 450 yards on a man size target without holdover.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Nope. We sighted in at 25 meters when I was in. You were good to around 450 yards on a man size target without holdover.
Yeah but that was like, a really long time ago... :lol:

All friendly kidding aside, I just read an article over at Primary and Secondary written by a career Inf SNCO (Ret.), and he said the Army still doesn't have ONE battle zero on same rifle platforms across the Army... He said some units are following different Army data to decide on a battle zero.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
As a PMI, we used 25 yards because it equates to 300 (with respect to ballistics). From there, you can calculate what your dope (zero) should be at other distances using ballistics tables. There are a number of FM's or FMFM's (military manuals) out there that provide extremely detailed information on the subject. Have fun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Setting the elevation 4 clicks below the 300 yard setting (rear sight all the way down) while zeroing at 25 yards works ok. Then the elevation knob tracks the trajectory.

Here's the trajectory for a 25 yard zero so you can see what I was talking about.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Look into THIS

Describes the RIBZ (Revised Improved Battlesight Zero) where you perform a reversible modification to the rear elevation drum that allows you to click DOWN BELOW the 8/3 mark on the A2 drum allowing for fairly precise zero settings at 50/200 and 100yd while also keeping the existing marks on the drum true to those marked distances. It works very well. I have the modification done to all of my handle-equipped AR's. The number of additional clicks differs to which sight you have 8/3 or 6/3.

Once done, practiced and verified you can instantly set it for the distance that you are shooting. For a ready setting, I choose 2-3 clicks above the 8/3(6/3) and flip up the 0-2 "patrol" aperture. The drum distance settings are for the small leaf.

·
Registered
22 Posts
8/3 small gap on rear sight and zero at 36 yard BZO. 36/300 gets you up to 5 inches high from zero at 100-250 yards and 5 inches low at 350 yards. I am biased toward this zero due to my time in the Corps, but I zero all my rifles this way and it works for me. Vigilance Elite makes a 36 yard BZO target you can shoot at 25 yards.

Otherwise, the 50/200 yard zero is all most people will need. A 200 or 300 yard shot is pretty unlikely unless you’re shooting competition anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also use the 36 yard zero. For AR platform I did that and I love it. Learned it from Shawn Ryan's channel on youtube, Vigilance Elite. It gets rid of any holdovers out to 300 yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts