SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husbands Bday is coming up soon and he has complained about his very old cheap sight tool. Midway has 2 tools on sale and I am wondering which one would be the best buy to surprise him with. His pistol collection consists mostly of metal frame Sigs and revolvers. One of the sale tools is a Wheeler for $170 and the other is a MGW compact for $180. I would like to hear from other members with recommendations and reasons why one might be preferred over the other.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the larger MGW... the compact is functionally the same.

It’s a well made tool. Easy to make small adjustments... and it can apply enough force to remove stubborn sights (if replacing sights).

There are shoes you buy to fit whatever slide you are adjusting... that centers the slide nicely, and then the side clamps can be used for additional support. I like the way that secures the slide. I’m not sure how the wheeler locks the slide in (I really like the MGW).

If you also have angled sights (like say if you have a Glock) you have to get an additional pusher (costs more). Not a problem for the sig models. I *think* the wheeler can do both as is.

For the metal framed sigs - most use the one shoe (they are $13 or so). I have 5 different shoes... when I run into a different pistol, I would buy whatever shoe is needed.

I haven’t used the wheeler, so there’s that.

If I had to do it over I would get the MGW again... and probably get the compact version not the bigger one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. You and Midway CS may have decided me on the MGW. CS offered a Sig shoe throw in and free shipping I guess in appreciation for past purchases. I will give it another day for more opinions because portability is not necessary.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
Considering the MGW is the best option with the replaceable "shoes". The "Range Master", while a wonderful tool in it's own right, the "Sight Pro" may be a better option, depending on the pistols your husband has.

Generally, the "Range Master" will be sufficient for most 4.4" and shorter barreled pistols. For pistols with 5" or longer barrels, the Sight Pro would be more useful as it will work with slides with a longer "chin". Normally the Sight Pro runs about $100 more, besides being a little heavier. If you are not sure what has a 5" barrel, most any Sig Sauer with adjustable rear sights, or those full sized M1911 clones.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Considering the MGW is the best option with the replaceable "shoes". The "Range Master", while a wonderful tool in it's own right, the "Sight Pro" may be a better option, depending on the pistols your husband has.

Generally, the "Range Master" will be sufficient for most 4.4" and shorter barreled pistols. For pistols with 5" or longer barrels, the Sight Pro would be more useful as it will work with slides with a longer "chin". Normally the Sight Pro runs about $100 more, besides being a little heavier. If you are not sure what has a 5" barrel, most any Sig Sauer with adjustable rear sights, or those full sized M1911 clones.
Thank you for your info. I bought one for my hubby's Bday and got free shipping plus the one shoe that they said we needed. You have helped my get something that he will really get use from and I know that he will appreciate it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018999588?pid=314718

This seems like it'll be a great tool. I'm glad the OP spoke with someone (I think at MidwayUSA) to determine which additional part was needed to use with the SIGs she & her husband have.

I couldn't tell from the MidwayUSA website what additional parts were needed and couldn't find a MGW website either.

I've got another brand (B&J) which was good at the time, but I think these latest Wheeler and MGW designs could work better.

It looks like the Wheeler tool is also rated well. Here's the link:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017290319?pid=354154

Reactions: Willard

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018999588?pid=314718

This seems like it'll be a great tool. I'm glad the OP spoke with someone (I think at MidwayUSA) to determine which additional part was needed to use with the SIGs she & her husband have.

I couldn't tell from the MidwayUSA website what additional parts were needed and couldn't find a MGW website either.

I've got another brand (B&J) which was good at the time, but I think these latest Wheeler and MGW designs could work better.

It looks like the Wheeler tool is also rated well. Here's the link:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017290319?pid=354154
The Wheeler is great for it's price range, as it secures the slide itself with 4 adjustable clamps, that you would "pad" to prevent marring the slides finish, plus an "overhead" clamp to keep the slide from "rising". The MGWs, besides the 4 adjustable clamps, has what they call a "shoe" that mounts to the lower portion of the tools "frame" and fits the milled rail slots to further secure the slide to the tool, and prevent movement, with no marring. This is particularly helpful when dealing with tightly fitting sights.

These "shoes" are available for several brands and models, and each one is normally less than $20 each. These are basically the tools the Professionals use. While pricey, consider before, at around $100 each for the model specific versions that MGW sold, the Classic Sigs, the SIGPRO models, the P250/P320, and P238/P938, and P365 would have each required a separate $100 tool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for your info. I bought one for my hubby's Bday and got free shipping plus the one shoe that they said we needed. You have helped my get something that he will really get use from and I know that he will appreciate it.
You chose wisely. I recently returned a Wheeler because if would not start the rear sight straight. I bought the MGW range master and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've used the Wheeler with a lot of success - along with a lot of frustration. I have second guessed my decision to purchase the Wheeler on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yes, the Wheeler sure has it's up and downs for me . My best luck is with a good vice, good punches and hammer.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Yes, the Wheeler sure has it's up and downs for me . My best luck is with a good vice, good punches and hammer.

Removing or installing NiteSights w/ the blacksmith approach will kill the sights in short order & not be warranteed or replaced by the tracks/peen marks left behind by the process.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm lucky! I never needed night sights. Never had a use for them.

·
Registered
P320 RX, P365 SAS
30 Posts
I have the Wheeler and like it.
Like any one of these tools you need to watch and be careful while you are using them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Started with the MGW307, then found good prices on the MGW Range Master and Sight Pro so now I have all three for my Sig collection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts