SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Legion was my first pistol purchase and the first handgun I ever shot. Before I got it I spent many hours looking at videos and reading forums about how to shoot and aim. I learned the focus should be all on the front sight. A couple dry fire sessions with the Legion and it's beautiful X-Ray sights and it was pretty easy to focus on just the front site with both eyes open.

I just recently got a Sar Arms K2 45, that has 3 white dots. I took it to the range and had a hard time being able to focus on the front sight. It made me appreciate the blacked out rear sights on the Legion. The are there to line up the shot, but are so muted the easily disappear into the background.

I have very little time with the K2, is it just something I need to practice? Ideally I would love to put X-Ray sights on there but don't think that is an option due to cost and the work it would take. As horrible as this sounds, I was thinking about taking a sharpie to the rear sights.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Sighting is a whole dicipline in the world of shooting, and you get more "Junk" then almost any other area.

The Front Sight is key, but the Sight Picture is the success.

SIG out of the box is not what I prefer to use. I am an old "Bullseye" shooter, and I am trained against a 6 o'clock sight picture. In that means, you have a 6 inch target center sitting on top of the front sight at ranges up to 25 yards. The Front sight is aligned levelly with the rear, and the "Gap" on either side of the front sight is equal.

SIG prefers you have the target object centered behind the front sight, with the rear sight aligned levelly and the gap on either side of the front sight equal.

The Sight Picture in either case is the same. Front and Rear LEVEL. Gaps on either side of the Front sight

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Just practice. How you aim is dependent on a lot of factors some of which you may be unduly concerned with due to what experts say. Shoot a lot and you'll be able to adjust to hit the target with your gun and not worry (for lack of a better word) so much about it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Practice would be my advice as well. Of course you're going to like your X-ray sights more, or for that matter trijicons are great too. But they also cost a bunch more than normal sights for the sole reason that sight acquisition is easier. You also have to take into consideration sigs use hold over sight picture (see pic 3) while most firearms use a 6 oclock hold.

There is a lot that goes into being a good pistol shooter. I've been shooting for a pretty long time and have shot a lot of different pistols and I couldn't even begin to tell you how much more there is for me to learn, I feel like I maybe know 10% about shooting.

My advice to you, look up "Front Sight Press", take some classes, and practice practice practice. And don't forget about proper trigger form, that is where my accuracy takes the biggest hit.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
There is nothing wrong with blacking out your rear sights. I've done that and also put a little mark on the front sight which helps to aim smaller when focusing on that front sight. Another method you may also want to try is soft aiming, which is done by focusing primarily on the target with the sights lined up in your secondary field of vision. It will make the sights blurry, but visible, while you're watching the target. I aim this way most of the time, actually, and shift to front sight focus when I want to take more time, if I have more time. It's all relative to what you're able to score better hits with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts