SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AR with an Aimpoint on an absolute co-witness mount. When I put the dot on target the front sight is on target. On my Rattler I have the same Aimpoint with a one third co-witness mount. when the dot is on target, the sights would be shooting low. I know I'm missing something, can't think of what it is.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
That's one of the things I don't like about 1/3 co-witness, moving your head as in sight picture #3 looking left to right below.

Here's how you're supposed to use them:

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
That's one of the things I don't like about 1/3 co-witness, moving your head as in sight picture #3 looking left to right below.

Here's how you're supposed to use them:
View attachment 377985
Flash, Regarding the far right image: BUIS/Back Up Iron Sights are for backup only so the only time one should look through the BUIS is if the Dot Optic fails, in which case you wouldn't see the Dot appear to drop down anyway as you alluded to.

OP, The main benefit of Dot Optics is speed of acquiring target, and that benefit is reduced the more the optic's window/lens is cluttered with BUIS.

Absolute co-witness mounts put the Dot Optic closer to the barrel than 1/3 witness mounts, resulting in the BUIS shooting lower with the 1/3 mount.

The current school of thought with many of the nation's top trainers is to have the BUIS as low as possible in the optic's window so as to minimize the visual clutter and its negative impact on speed of target acquisition.

One solution is to use folding BUIS so they're always out of the way and only flipped up for use when the dot fails, or using 45 degree offset mounted BUIS that don't share the same line of sight as the Dot Optic.

ETA: Keep in mind the BUIS and Dot Optic are totally separate systems and should be zero'd independently, and not together.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Flash, Regarding the far right image: BUIS/Back Up Iron Sights are for backup only so the only time one should look through the BUIS is if the Dot Optic fails, in which case you wouldn't see the Dot appear to drop down anyway as you alluded to.

One solution is to use folding BUIS so they're always out of the way and only flipped up for use when the dot fails, or using 45 degree offset mounted BUIS that don't share the same line of sight as the Dot Optic.
I know. I'm merely showing a pic to the OP to answer his question and I believe it does completely.

My solution to this is folding BUIS but they use an absolute co-witness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts