SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used SIG716 DMR I saw on Buds Discount Guns' website last week.

I had heard both good and bad things about the 716. All the bad things being about the GEN 1. Well it arrived and I picked it up from my FFL dealer. I brought it home and and stripped it to clean it. I noticed the gun had no wear on it. I thought maybe this gun had never been shot. It was in pristine condition. Thats happened to me before with Bud's. Last Summer I bought an M11A1 from them and it too was in pristine non fired condition.

Anyways I cleaned the gun anyways. I figured it is always better to make sure yourself that the gun is properly clean and lubed so you don't have any issues at the range or even worse a real world emergency. Got it all back together cleaned and still looking like new and ready for the range.

So today I took it out to the range to fire it and to zero the scope I had for it. I had a couple of hiccups but that was just because of user fault not the rifle's. I shot sub MOA out to 100 yds. I would have liked to have taken it over to the 400 yard range, but time constrains had a different idea. Maybe next time.

I called Sig up to find out the manufacturing date of my rifle and they told me July of 2015. I thought that would have made it a GEN 2, but the person I talked too there said that my rifle was in fact a GEN 1. When they told me that I thought oh brother I guess I am going to get to go through the woes of GEN 1 ownership and have to deal with the hassle of waiting to see all that goes wrong and then contacting Sig to arrange to have it shipped back where it would either be completely fixed and updated or they replace the rifle with the new GEN 2 version. Either way I thought I would have to be without my new rifle for a period of time.But after a day at the range I am happy to announce I don't have to do any other that.

I picked the rifle up for a little under $2000 and it has some nice features. Magpul multi mission grip, Magul PRS stock, Geissele 2 stage trigger, 18" match grade barrel that is threaded so I can run it suppress, a 4 position gas block, also good for running suppressed, a one piece rail for mounting scopes. This is so much nicer than the M1A SOCOM16 I traded for it. I had 2 M1A SOCOM 16's so I figured it would hurt to let one go and I have no regrets about it. The SOCOM 16 has it's limits and weighs a ton. Not that the 716 is as light as a feather. My biggest problem was that mounting a scope on the M1A. No matter how hard I tried it always just sat a little high off the rifle bore axis.

The 716's one piece rail makes mounting an optic easy and everything else about it made shooting today so much fun. This rifle may soon replace my HK MR762 as my favorite rifle.

Do I think other people are crazy about complaining about their 716's? No. From what I have read and seen the 716's had some growing pains, but some how my GEN 1 got past them and I would recommend purchasing one to any of my friends or family members. Then again there are people who will always hate a product because they like to hate on people and things.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Congrats and post some pics. I think the issues with the 716, and even the 516 and others we read about here, are not the experiences of the majority of owners, although it certainly seems like it at times. I'm glad to hear you got a good one!

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 716 DMR was manufactured in 12/2016 and is a G1. I just broke the barrel in per the factory recommendation and thankfully did not have a single problem. I cleaned out the factory protectant and lubed everything before taking the first shot. Good luck with your new DMR!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.