SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a company that makes an aftermarket handle for the 716. I have run a BCM & a Ranier Arms Raptor on other AR10's but as many of you know, the front does not drop down far enough to catch the BCG and it stays hard locked. I hadn't had any luck finding something after market (other than doing the latch) till now.

They have one listed specifically for the SIG716. I ordered one and will report back on the fit and function.

BATTLE TESTED EQUIPMENT · parts - charging handle

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
They're probably the first outfit to provide an appropriate aftermarket Charging Handle for the SIG 716.

·
Registered
294 Posts
We're gonna need you to expedite the shipping on this now and have it here by tomorrow morning !!! We then expect an update no later than noon (with pictures dammit!). Thank you for your cooperation in this.. now get to it sir! LOL

Reactions: Oldag

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I don't know if this fellow works for this company or not but he posted the exact same thing on ar15.com. Joined here and there (maybe others) just to post this? Just seems odd, maybe it's just me...

"I finally found a company that makes an aftermarket handle for the 716. I have run a BCM & a Ranier Arms Raptor on other AR10's but as many of you know, the front does not drop down far enough to catch the BCG and it stays hard locked. I hadn't had any luck finding something after market (other than doing the latch) till now.

They have one listed specifically for the SIG716. I ordered one and will report back on the fit and function.

BATTLE TESTED EQUIPMENT · parts - charging handle"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No, I do not work for the company and yes, I posted on both sites. Took a while to find that after market handle and those two sites had the most threads regarding the charging handle dilemma. No ulterior motive other than saving others the time spent to track down a handle.

Background: I just purchased a SIG716 FDE (approximately 1 month ago). I started researching the standard upgrades. Charging Handle, Comps, Battery Assist Levers, etc.. Having had prior AR10's I am aware of fitment issues when manufacturers get proprietary. I have a BCM and a Raptor here that I have used on other AR10's and I knew in seconds they would not work. That is what sent me on the search for solutions. Having seen posts on here and AR15 with various threads going back to the rifle's initial release lamenting charging handle options, I knew it might be helpful to share what I found.

In either case... if anyone knows of any other company making an aftermarket handle out there (other than the obvious latches) feel free to share. Honestly I would prefer to have a Raptor that fits since that is what I have run most frequently and have gotten used to.

Anyway, I spend most of my time dealing with my drag car and not posting about rifles. I usually find that others far more knowledgeable than myself have things covered in the armory department. I just happened to see how many threads and responses there were and not a single one actually listing a company that made one. It is shipped and on its way. Hope to be able to post something soon when it arrives. I probably wont get a chance to run any rounds with it until December with my schedule.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here is some proof of life of sorts regarding the rifles and charging handles. Here is my newly acquired 716 along with my AP4 that I have been running the Raptor in. Between the rifles are my BCM that I have run and the Raptor that I removed from the AP4. As you can see there is too much hanging off of the AP4. The SIG I will be running basic with just a Micro T2 and the Larue Handstop/Indexing setup.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
My apologies Broken. It's just that I've seen it before where people join forums to push a product and when you didn't return for a while I thought this was the case, again my apologies.

Now the good stuff, nice rifles! The 716 is a heavy gun so I just gave in, scoped it, added a bipod and made it a bench gun, lol. Good luck and have fun with it, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries Twister, always good to call it as you see it. Actually nice to see someone willing to put in the effort to cover others.

Bought the charging handle and ended up in emergency surgery the next day. The follow up surgery is why I wont be able to send rounds down range right away. I will post pics of side by sides of the various handles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Intake is a super victor. Its a 355 SBC we just built for my 77 firebird. We spin it to 8k rpm. It puts down about 572 NA.

Pics coming soon. The handled was in the mailbox when I got home from work!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the reason for all of the headaches. On the left side top is the nose of the new BTE SIG716 handle. On the left side bottom is the nose of the Ranier Arms AR10 handle. I am using the BCM Gunfighter as the straight edge. That little difference is why all the other after market AR10 handles will not engage the bolt and prevent charging.

Ranier Raptor for AR10 on top | BTE SIG 716 Middle | BCM Gunfighter 7.62 Bottom

Ranier Raptor for AR10 on Left| BTE SIG 716 Middle | BCM Gunfighter 7.62 Right

Ranier Arms vs BTE

BTE vs BCM

BTE

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have it in the 716 now. Initial observations:
- Charges smoothly with no binding
- It is a big handle and has plenty of meat for your fingers
- Even gloved you get a great purchase for charging
- Handle is noticeably larger than the Rainer and BCM
- Very good fitment in the upper as you can see in several pictures
- Interesting sculpting around the contours of the upper
- The ribbing provides a very positive purchase all around
- Latch itself is similarly large and provides good purchase gloved and un-gloved
- The overall fit and finish looks to be very clean and free of defects

One thing I want to keep an eye on will be durability but that statement is not unique to this charging handle and is a statement that can be shared across many different handles. The roll pin is noticeably smaller that that on the Rainier or BCM and the latch contact point appears to be focused on a relatively small area on the top and bottom of the latch. It doesn't feel unstable and I am unable to see what is going on within the latch recess so it might have more contact within the recess itself.

Observations on the purchase experience. It was quick and hassle free. I paid on 11/01 at 2 et in the afternoon and the pre-shipment info was generated that same day. Picked up in AZ on the 3rd by USPS and delivered to me on the 5th. Packaging seemed sufficient. Handle was in a heavy mil ziplock roughly the size of the handle itself. It was then wrapped in foam and in a padded shipping envelope.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Handle looks solid, but I see what you mean on the pin. Looks more or less like stock size pins, which the other two brands tout as weak points in their marketing, but I do not know how much of an issue it is in the real world. I like the looks of it!

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Thanks for the update and great pics Broken!
I see what you mean about the pin being small. I suppose if someone had trouble with it they could always drill it out to the standard size.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the pics and observations. One question, in the pic that looks like the camera is sitting on the top of the buffer tube, there are two small witness marks on the receiver just at the bottom of the handle. Do you know if those marks were caused by this handle or if they were already there? I don't particularly care about a few scuff marks but just seems like if the handle is hitting, that's some added resistance to operation.
I will double check tonight, but I believe those were caused either by the factory handle or when I tried the others in it. I will check clearance with the various handles and report back. I will also try and remember to grab some photos of it next to the factory handle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know if this fellow works for this company or not but he posted the exact same thing on ar15.com. Joined here and there (maybe others) just to post this? Just seems odd, maybe it's just me...

It's just you. I applaud Broken for bringing this to our attention because I gave up looking for a good replacement for my 716 a long time ago. Thanks Broken. :goodjob:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.