SIG Talk banner

Sig516 vs M400

4892 10
First AR purchase...any advice or pros/cons of the 516 vs M400?

Recommended optics for each?

Intended usage is HD, range and some tactical rifle classes.

Thanks in advance for your input.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm a 516 fan, and really enjoy mine but you can't go wrong with either. Vwguy1994 & Johnnyloco pretty well covered it. Additionally, the 516 has a good (although heavy) quadrail, so one less upgrade to buy over the M400 and many other AR style guns. I like the clean operation of the piston system, but the 400 has the advantage of standardized DI gas system parts, so you trade some interchangeability for the cleaner, proprietary piston system. For optics, I currently run a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 on mine but would go with Johnnyloco's suggestions for your desired usage. Vortex is also coming out with the Razor AMG UH-1 holographic sight, that sounds real promising. Good luck and let us know what you decide upon.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Local retailer is offering the M400 Elite with Romeo4A red dot installed - at reasonable price. Any feedback on R4A? ...or better to buy optic aftermarket?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Both are good ARs. As with others here, my choice was 516. I've also owned Colt's 6920 DI gun, but currently have only SIG & PWS' piston ARs here.

For me, an important difference is the gas control options provided by pistons rifles. Running a suppressed SBR indoors can be an uncomfortable experience - if you can't turndown the gas!!

Watering eyes and choking breaths aren't uncommon with typical suppressed DI rifles...

My suggestion with your rifle's optics is based on your home defense usage. I mean, optics for range fun guns can be almost anything you'd like to play with, and at very affordable cost.

However, IMO a weapon that may be used in a lifesaving situation has gotta be totally battle-proven. Those are EOTech, Aimpoint and Trijicon optics. My choice has been Aimpoint T1 on our 10" 516 SBR and Trijicon's MRO on our MCX and VCOG on our 14.5" 516...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Stick with the 400 for future parts availability and more customization options. HD use go for a good red dot, Aimpoint and Vortex are quality, have not heard or seen enough of Sig optics to put them in that category yet, a few years back Sig's optics were miserable but this is a new line now. I have not had an issue with gas face using a suppressor, adjustable gas block seems to keep it to a minimum. The only piston gun I use is a 716 and with a suppressor it still gets pretty dirty. I actually get more failure free rounds before cleaning is needed from a 308 DI rifle with a suppressor than I do the 716.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You can run grease in the 516 and it'll stay put and clean. I run oil through my DI guns and they eventually run to the buffer region after sitting in the safe for a while.

My go to rifle will be my 516. That thing runs like a tank and is very combat effective. Whatever coating Sig uses on the bolt and CH makes that combo buttery smooth in the action.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.