SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase my first AR 15 before January 1st and I really love the SIG516 Carbon and SIG516 Carbon TS models, as well as the SIGM400 Carbon TS and FS models.

I am not really up to speed on the laws for California on rifles. But, I heard come January 1st I can't buy an AR 15 any more.

So I figure I need to get one ASAP. On the Sig Sauer website it says that these models are not CA compliant. Is there ANY way to make these weapons California legal? If not any suggestions for alternatives would be great. I am looking for a home defense / plinking gun. My budget is around 2 thousand max. Thank you guys for helping out a newbie! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm new to the AR platform, and live in New England (other coast), but I've seen many posts online from people with your concerns. I'm fairly sure Sig does offer California compliant versions of those rifles.

However, you'd better act soon. Not only does your state have a waiting period that I believe means your last day for purchase is December 21 (please double check that), but Sig often has out of stock periods (from suppliers and the manufacturer).

Do a little searching on your question, I'm sure you'll find much useful info with little effort.

Good luck to you!
Bruce

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm new to the AR platform, and live in New England (other coast), but I've seen many posts online from people with your concerns. I'm fairly sure Sig does offer California compliant versions of those rifles.

However, you'd better act soon. Not only does your state have a waiting period that I believe means your last day for purchase is December 21 (please double check that), but Sig often has out of stock periods (from suppliers and the manufacturer).

Do a little searching on your question, I'm sure you'll find much useful info with little effort.

Good luck to you!
Bruce
Thanks Bruce, Yes I am going to act ASAP I am just not sure what those rifles have that makes them illegal in California. I could not find an e-mail address for Sig Saur to ask them. Maybe I will stop into my local gun store today and see if they know anything.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Basically, if the rifle has a detachable magazine, then it is considered illegal in CA. Using a bullet button removes the detachable magazine feature rendering the rifle legal. However, bullet buttons will be illegal on Jan 1, 2017, but the rifle can then be registered as an assault weapon, or converted to a non-assault weapon in a few different ways. First thing you need to do is check the flowchart here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

If the rifle is not banned, then it's configuration just needs to be changed so that it is not considered to have the detachable magazine. Once this happens, an FFL should be able to transfer said rifle to you after your mandatory background check and 10-day wait.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You can get this Sig 516 CA model which comes with bullet button installed and a 10-round magazine. Any FFL should be able to accept it because it is already CA complaint to be shipped to CA. It runs about $1400 - $1500.

SIG516 Patrol CA Model

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get this Sig 516 CA model which comes with bullet button installed and a 10-round magazine. Any FFL should be able to accept it because it is already CA complaint to be shipped to CA. It runs about $1400 - $1500.

SIG516 Patrol CA Model

Thank you. Thats the one I am going to have to get. Is there a way I can make it look like the carbon models with a carbon fiber stock? I could buy a sig sauer carbon fiber hand guard. But I think the stock has to stay the way it is per the CA law correct?

Sorry what is FFL?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I can't answer the CA specific items but FFL is a federal firearms license. The term is used to refer to a federally licensed gun dealer.

Or the full definition (from Wikipedia) "A Federal Firearms License (FFL) is a license in the United States that enables an individual or a company to engage in a business pertaining to the manufacture or importation of firearms and ammunition, or the interstate and intrastate sale of firearms."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts