SIG Talk banner

SIG516 & MCX/MPX's Interesting Design Link to HK416

4567 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  xrlizard
In this 516 review Chris Bartocci describes Germany's Robert Hirt, H&K 416 design team's along with SIG's Chris Soroyce's involvement in SIG516 & MCX/MPX developments.

https://youtu.be/KA5kVsPj6oA

Cheers
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
THX
It does give some useful and interesting information.
Are you going to get the 3rd iteration rifle he talks about?
LOL!! Think I'll pass for now on another 'bleeding-edge' rifle. Please keep us posted if you make that plunge...

Cheers

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks for the video KC. Interesting, and while I knew that the designer had been involved with HK, didn't realize the 516 was more or less an improved version.

Regarding the Gen 3, I don't think it is very different from the Mid-Late Gen 2 models. The gas block appears to be just lightened and simplified, and I would assume, a bit cheaper to produce, but the gas valve and piston assembly are the same as mid Gen 2, and the ambi charging handle looks like a minor upgrade that wouldn't be likely to cause problems. The other items like ambi safety and different stock and grip, seems be to details Sig seems to change periodically, perhaps just to give it some "new". I know earlier versions, before Gen 2, had ambi safeties, so it's funny how they go back and forth with certain features and hardware. It is also interesting that they have gone away from the keymod handguard and back to the older style. That was one thing I liked most about the newer versions. They've been shipping this style gas block since 2015, so I think it's past any teething.

· Registered
5,319 Posts
Reactions: xrlizard

· Registered
243 Posts
Headquartered in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, Caracal International is the region’s leading original equipment manufacturer (OEM) small arms producer with a portfolio including the latest technology 9mm striker-fired combat pistol, 9mm submachine gun (SMG) in standard, compact and suppressed versions, three tactical rifle platforms and three modular sniper rifles. These weapons are all of original design and have been developed in house for use by civilians or professional law enforcement and military operators

· Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the video KC. Interesting, and while I knew that the designer had been involved with HK, didn't realize the 516 was more or less an improved version.

Regarding the Gen 3, I don't think it is very different from the Mid-Late Gen 2 models. The gas block appears to be just lightened and simplified, and I would assume, a bit cheaper to produce, but the gas valve and piston assembly are the same as mid Gen 2, and the ambi charging handle looks like a minor upgrade that wouldn't be likely to cause problems. The other items like ambi safety and different stock and grip, seems be to details Sig seems to change periodically, perhaps just to give it some "new". I know earlier versions, before Gen 2, had ambi safeties, so it's funny how they go back and forth with certain features and hardware. It is also interesting that they have gone away from the keymod handguard and back to the older style. That was one thing I liked most about the newer versions. They've been shipping this style gas block since 2015, so I think it's past any teething.

Right, totally agree this 516 gen 3 is only a refresh, and doesn't seem particularly timely with its quad rail hand guard.

Kenneth may have been referring to this new 516 when asking of my*interesting in adding another rifle. However, my response assumed he was talking about an apparent new-new Robert Hirt rifle design Chris mentions coming from Caracal.

Caracal International is an Abu Dhabi small arms producer with a new CAR816-A2 rifle that's to be produced in Wilcox Industries' New Hampshire plant. I don't know much about this rifle's new 'Fusion System', but I do hope & pray it's NOT a nuclear based design!!

OH, and we can guess Mr Hirt's fingerprints are somewhere in Wilcox's vicinity. Here's Caracal's website for ya

http://www.caracal.ae/index.html

Cheers

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Wow, that 816 looks like, er, an updated 516! I notice the grip is very similar in shape to Sig's OEM grip, and the gas valve adjustment lug up front, looks to be identical to the current production 516's. There isn't any info on the gas piston and rod, but one shot showed it through the handguard and it looks similar from that angle. Maybe they took some spare parts along with them when they left, lol. One piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.