SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Sig X5 Competition Barrel Wear

6K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  yilest 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Quick question regarding a new Sig X5 competition. I just got back from my FFL to inspect my firearm that arrived today and the unit looks like it's been through some substantial use. The barrel has significant wear from the slide and the firearm itself has a good amount of dirty grease. The pistol was sold as new and obtained through GunBroker (the dealer's name will remain anonymous for now).

Is the barrel wear an indication that the firearm is used? I realize that the factory fires a few rounds to test the pistol, but this seems way more than typical, especially when compared to the condition my new P226 Dark Elite was in when it was purchased (no wear marks whatsoever).

Any opinions / help would be appreciated!

#2 ·
barrel wear is one indication, another is the seller & what kind of reputation they have, how many transactions. the seller may have owned/fired it for a while & still claimed nib when selling.

many firearms are listed as only 50 rds fired.

i only deal with gb vendors that have many sales.

welcome from az

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome bearone2! I've been a benefactor of the plethora of the knowledge available on this site for years, and only recently joined.

The seller has a very high rating on GB (review count north of 10k, all with an A+). However, my FFL was surprised by the condition the firearm was in, and the first thing I noticed was the wear on the barrel.

Do you know of any recourse there may be for making a claim that the firearm is used?

#5 ·
unfortunately the listing did in fact state "as is"...I wonder if there is any buyer protection for listing a "factory new" item, when in fact it isn't? Gunbroker FAQ didn't state anything in this regard.

In any case, I still have to wait the 10 days before taking the pistol home, so once I do I'll be posting some pics to get everyone's opinion on whether or not I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

#6 ·
yilest, My X-5 is several years old, but I don't recall any unusual wear or it being very dirty when I got it. Absent photos, I don't know about the barrel wear you mention, but will say a new P210 Legend I bought recently was about the dirtiest new pistol I can ever remember purchasing. Another P210 Legend did not display any evidence of firing more than a few test rounds. I have no doubt that they were both new guns, but one had obviously been fired more than the other for some reason.....

#7 ·
Thanks for sharing the experience, Rock185. I've spent the last few hours reading posts and it seems there's a mixed bag regarding new Sig cleanliness and signs of initial wear. Once I bring the X5 home I'll take some shots and post them here so that everyone can get an idea of what I'm seeing.

#10 ·
X Fives are test fired and can come NIB looking kind of dirty.

The parts are tightly fitted and can pick up some early signs of wear straight from the factory as mine did and I'm absolutely certain that mine was NIB when I bought it from an extremely reputable dealer.

Pictures might be of help.

Do the magazines show signs of wear?

They shouldn't.

Reactions: bearone2
#12 ·
bearone2: the high cap magazines got swapped out for standard p226 10 rounders (they keep and presumably sell the high cap ones...no discount to me however!)

sigruger7: it did not come with the grip band, however I have yet to see an X5 NIB with the typical Sig band so I'm assuming this model doesn't normally ship,with it. Correct me if I am wrong

Oldsalt: thanks for sharing the knowledge! I guess tight tolerances may accelerate the appearance of some signs of standard wear. The wear wasn't atypical of how a Sig normally breaks in (as far as my 226 elite is concerned). Thanks and I'll throw the pics up as soon as the pistol is out of "jail" as bearone2 put it! (Haha...great way to describe it!)

#15 ·
Welcome to the forum!
Once you get it, post up some good photos. Those with X5's will be able to
look and tell you whether it is normal or excessive.

#18 ·
Here is an image of the barrel wear I originally posted about. I think I may have been too quick to pose any concern, as it looks like most X5's come with this type of barrel marring. There's no dip or roughness so I'm assuming it's simply a result of the tight tolerance of the pistol. It would be great if other X5 owners could chime in.

In regards to manufacturing tolerance, I cleaned and greased the gun as I normally would on any of my Sigs and was amazed at how most of the applied grease gets squeegeed away after a few racks! The parts are so closely machined that there is essentially zero gap between surfaces! Amazing workmanship!

Attachments

#20 ·
I would NOT be concerned about the wear that is showing on the photo. I have three X5's and that was normal on all of them. As a matter of fact, a minor amount of wear has been on every new Sig I've purchased (that I've been aware of).

I assume the internal of the barrel (rifling) is perfectly fine with no undue wear since you didn't post pic's of it or comment on it?

#22 ·
JGus : yes the interior rifling is fine. I haven't shot it yet (plan to today) so hopefully everything is functioning fine. My concerns were mainly cosmetic, as I understand that these pistols are built to be very durable. For things such as spring life and maintenance, I didn't want to be stuck with the unknowns of being sold a display item since I wouldn't be able to properly track service life.

#23 ·
Hi i have an x5 with a couple of rounds in it and as soon as i arrive home i will let you know how many rounds it fired and post u a pic like yours mate

mp5

#24 ·
2700 rounds fired

Attachments

#25 ·
Photo 2

Attachments

#27 ·
Looks like minimal firing, and resulting minimal wear.
You'll see how it shoots and let us know.
If you're concerned, put a little extra TW25b on the barrel there.
Don't forget, the tolerances are intentionally VERY tight.
My 2007 Sig CPO X5L1 had some wear too, more than yours, but shoots like a laser beam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.