SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 year old P938, my favorite EDC, starting malfunctioning. The hammer would intermittently follow the slide down on recoil. This happened once before, years ago, but I realized that a loose left grip panel allowed the disconnector and hammer bar to go out of alignment. Tightened the grip and problem solved.
This time it wasn't the grip.
I called SIG, paid the $55 shipping and they emailed the shipping label. I shipped the pistol back on July 5, they received it on July 7. They completed the warranty work and shipped the pistol back on July 8; one day turnaround!
I contacted SIG to make sure the work was actually done, that the warranty had not been refused for some reason. They assured me the work was completed.
The pistol is supposed to be delivered back to me today, July 12. After I get the pistol back later today I'll do my own inspection. I'll take it to the range later this week for test firing. Assuming the pistol passes my inspection, and works properly, I couldn't be happier. Couldn't ask for better customer service.

The rest of the story: I hate sending guns back to manufacturers so, when my 938 malfunctioned I tried diagnosing the problem and thought the fix would "probably" be replacing the sear spring and main spring housing, which SIG had "improved" since I bought my pistol. The parts cost about $25 and the replacement process, while a little scary, didn't look too bad.
I talked to SIG and asked if they would ship me the parts at no cost, since the old design often resulted in this malfunction, they didn't say no. BUT, they did say say if I did this it would void my warranty and, if this didn't fix the problem, then the cost of shipping plus parts & labor would be my responsibility. If my fix worked I'd save $30. If not...
If I shipped the pistol back they would detail strip it, inspect and replace any worn parts, including the sear spring and main spring housing, test fire and return it, all under warranty. My "original owner lifetime warranty" would remain intact. Turnaround was estimated at two weeks, so back it went.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not saying that I am surprised by a gun manufacturer standing behind its product and honoring the warranty. I have had companies like Smith & Wesson, Wilson, Glock and Kimber turnaround warranty work within a week or two; but this is my first 1-day turnaround.

If you guys think that one-day turnaround is normal, then you must be living in a different universe.

So pardon me for being impressed.

BTW, the 938 was just delivered by FedEx. SIG replaced the trigger, trigger bar, mainspring housing, mag catch and all springs (including the sear spring). Everything looks AOK. I'll test fire it this week.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I am not saying that I am surprised by a gun manufacturer standing behind its product and honoring the warranty. I have had companies like Smith & Wesson, Wilson, Glock and Kimber turnaround warranty work within a week or two; but this is my first 1-day turnaround.

If you guys think that one-day turnaround is normal, then you must be living in a different universe.

So pardon me for being impressed.

BTW, the 938 was just delivered by FedEx. SIG replaced the trigger, trigger bar, mainspring housing, mag catch and all springs (including the sear spring). Everything looks AOK. I'll test fire it this week.
Ahhhh. Yes. I would agree that the turn around time part was impressive. Glad you have your P938 back in hand with all those shiny new parts! Now taker her to the range!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Surprised that you had to pay shipping. Is that it?
OK, now you guys are just screwing with me. That's fine. I have my 938 back so I'm happy.

I knew that SIG pays shipping during the first year of ownership only. I learned about 50 years ago to check the warranty before buying, not after.

·
🎖USA Veteran
12,041 Posts
IME, shipping costs are a bit of a **** shoot with SIG after the first year; sometimes they do and sometimes they don't cover them. Still, that's a pretty comprehensive rebuild that they did for $55. I'm a bit surprised they didn't put a new sear in while they were in there, but what do I know about fixing 938.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
OK, now you guys are just screwing with me. That's fine. I have my 938 back so I'm happy.

I knew that SIG pays shipping during the first year of ownership only. I learned about 50 years ago to check the warranty before buying, not after.
Not screwing with you. If we were, we’d be asking you about whether open carry or concealed carry was better! 😆

·
Registered
477 Posts
My warranty work on my P938 SAS wasn't quite the same. I had to do most of the heavy lifting and "warranty" work myself. I wasn't impressed. But I'm really happy with the gun now. Just not sure I need it anymore.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I
Took my P938 to the range today to make sure SIG's fix worked and I could start carrying it again. I'm happy to report that it ran like a top, not malfunctions of any kind.
Nice when things work out the way they're supposed to.
It was a cool story. Thanks for sharing your experience. I've had to send a couple back to Sig and in both cases the experience was top notch. I too would be impressed with a 1 day turnaround. Glad it worked out for you. 👍

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I too have had nothing but great and fast service from sig. My P226 Blackwater first Gen had a case rupture that made the extractor go off to parts unknown. That one took the longest, it was about 10 days, but that was 9-10 years ago. I also requested that they fully check it out for damage. They sent it back with a bag of all the parts they replaced. They did a full tune-up while they were in there. Interestingly enough, they also replaced the original plastic guide rod with a steel one. Still shoots great. Though I still shoot my base model P229 better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts