SIG Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all
just picked up my first 1911 which is a Sig Ultra Traditional compact 9mm two tone.
i love it .....shot for the first time yesterday at range and it was sweet.
came with two 7 round mags.
i saw online that other brand mags fit in this pistol??
any truth to that ??
i'm looking for more mags and a retention holster if anyone has any recommendations i'd appreciate it
thanks
mike

·
Registered
368 Posts
I believe you want standard compact (officer) 9mm 1911 mags. MecGar, Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, Tripp, etc. these come in 7 or 8 rnd versions. I used gregcotellc.

Do not get the Springfield EMP mags. It will not fit.

What type of retention are you looking for? I bought my father one of the Mitch Rosen leather holsters from the SIG Store for his 1911 Ultra and he says the retention is good. He jogs with it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Congrats on your Ultra, and welcome to the forum!

By retention holster do you mean a law enforcement style holster with a special devise/design to" lock" the firearm in the holster? If so, I have no experience with those.

Holster selection is a pain! I have several Alien Gear and they work fine. I would like a smaller footprint though. The Cloak 3 models have much better retention than the earlier models. I also have a Milt Sparks Vm2. It is a very good holster that gets good reviews on this forum. I have a couple of clinger stingrays on order and look forward to trying them out.

Good luck on your search!

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
Welcome to SIG Talk and gratz on your purchase! Great gun!

Regarding mags, yes, other brand 9mm mags will work for you, you can even use full size 1911 9mm mags by companies like Wilson, McCormick, Tripp, Checkmate, etc. The full size mags will stick out of the mag well a bit but function just fine. Here's a picture of my Ultra 9mm with a full size Checkmate mag inserted:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks
how many rounds does the full size 9mm mag hold vs the 7 rounds mags that come with the sig??
My only complaint is mag capacity
my P290 holds one more round than my 1911 like yours.

i am very impressed with this firearm so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by retention i mean a holster that has some sort of mechanism that will hold the firearm in the holster and not allow it to slip out or easily be pulled out by anyone else if i was to open carry.

i will not open carry without any kind of retention holster.
i have a ccw permit so i always pocket carry my P290

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.