SIG Talk banner

Sig says P229 and M11-A1 have the same DA pull, nope...not true

3600 Views 33 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  wsp222
What gives? I love the look and feel of the M11-A1 but wow was that double action a ***** to pull. An easy 14+lb pull. But it did have an insane reset. On the other hand the P229 was the opposite. A much much better double action pull but the reset was probably 50% longer. What am I missing here? I don't know much about Sigs and looking to get my first.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,080 Posts
One reason it may feel a little "rougher" is the fact, that the M11A1 has "parkerized" (Phosphate finish) internals, which is more corrosion resistant than bluing (Oxide finish), but a coarser finish. With adequate lubrication, and breaking in, the differences will disappear, but as 12131 stated, they are publishing an "average" weight.

· Registered
6,350 Posts
Thanks for your input.

I have a M11-A1 on deposit. Will pick it up next week.

I'm used to the 228/229 trigger pull. If the trig feel different on M11, I now
know why. Thanks..............

· Registered
520 Posts
I have both M11a1 and P229sas and would have to say my M11a1 trigger is no different than my P229. I don't have a trigger gauge, but both are pretty good for stock trigger.

I suspect you may just need more break in to smooth it out. You can always send it to Robert Burke if you want to make it really gteat.

· Registered
19,375 Posts
They are supposed to be the same as they are the same gun. Just cosmetic differences.
I'm not sure that SIG is putting phosphate coated parts in these guns any more. They were starting to install parts finished in something they call "super blue" that is claimed to be as corrosion resistant. Those parts would be slicker than phosphate. But I can't say that is the case with the one you looked at as I don't have it to inspect.
Find another and it will be better. Something is wrong with the one you looked at.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspect you may just need more break in to smooth it out. You can always sent it to Robert Burke if you want to make it really gteat.
I do believe I will have an action job done on whatever Sig I end up with. I see he charges less if you have a SRT which I believe is what comes in the M11-A1 and not the P229.

Right now I'm torn between the M11-A1, P229 SAS Gen2, and P229 Carry. Any opinions are welcome.

· Registered
19,375 Posts
I tried 3 different P229s and they all were identical feel. I tried 2 M11-A1s and they were equally as bad, one was flat out terrible. Smooth pull but an honest to God 15-16lbs.
Dang! Must be a new "undocumented worker" on the assembly line. :eek: (smh)

Sounds like a bad batch then. They just shouldn't be that different. There will be a little variation but there shouldn't be that much difference.

· Registered
19,375 Posts
I do believe I will have an action job done on whatever Sig I end up with. I see he charges less if you have a SRT which I believe is what comes in the M11-A1 and not the P229.

Right now I'm torn between the M11-A1, P229 SAS Gen2, and P229 Carry. Any opinions are welcome.
The P229 SAS Gen 2 comes with SRT.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang! Must be a new "undocumented worker" on the assembly line. :eek: (smh)

Sounds like a bad batch then. They just shouldn't be that different. There will be a little variation but there shouldn't be that much difference.
Now that isn't impossible. They were sitting right next to each other at the same place. One was the green frame (you guys can say what you want but that looks cool!) and the other was a basic black. The basic black one was so bad I made the guy behind the counter feel it. He said the M11-A1 is made that way because it is a LE/MIL pistol and LE/MIL people are known to not have good trigger finger discipline so to help avoid ADs Sig made the M11-A1's trigger very hard on first pull.

The P229 SAS Gen 2 comes with SRT.
THAT is the Sig I want but it also is $900 and isn't easy to find used. Another option is a German P228 but again hard to find. I need to research the difference in a SAS and a M11-A1.

· Registered
19,375 Posts
... the guy behind the counter feel it. He said the M11-A1 is made that way because it is a LE/MIL pistol and LE/MIL people are known to not have good trigger finger discipline so to help avoid ADs Sig made the M11-A1's trigger very hard on first pull.
That is b.s. Pure, unadulterated Barbra Streisand.

THAT is the Sig I want but it also is $900 and isn't easy to find used. Another option is a German P228 but again hard to find. .
Yea. They all sell fast when SIG does a production run.
I have one in .40S&W. Those in 9mm sell faster.

· Registered
520 Posts
I recommend sticking to the P229sas or M11a1. I don't doubt the P229c is a great gun, but the longer barrel is not that hard to conceal. The P229 slide is slightly thicker being that it's a 40s&w, which I like and tend to carry more frequently since I got it.

Oh and one thing I didn't like is the trigger pinched my finger between it and the front strap. Ouch!
It's very easy to change to standard trigger if you are mechanically inclined. That should fix the pinch, and most here prefer it.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recommend sticking to the P229sas or M11a1.I don't doubt the P229c is a great gun, but the longer barrel is not that hard to conceal. The P229 slide is slightly thicker being that it's a 40s&w, which I like and tend to carry more frequently since I got it.

The rounded edges of the SAS look good. I like that a lot. Plus it doesn't have the silly SIG emblem on top of the slide.

· Registered
5,817 Posts
DA pull is a function of mainspring strength and "work" to be done over a limited range of trigger motion. Assuming same design, the main variable is the amount of friction. That can vary and there's a lot of little bits to smooth during an action job.

I worked on one SIG that had a burr on the inside of the trigger bar where it cams on the end of the hammer pivot pin - it was gauging the frame where it rubs there. Another had tiny burrs on inside of the frame, scratching the sides of the hammer.

Quick check to help isolate where the friction is on a DA/SA Classic P:

Pull the trigger to hammer drop and hold the trigger back. Now cycle hammer back and forth with thumb and note how smooth it feels. This checks hammer and pivot, strut, mainspring.

Next, dry fire and hold trigger back. Push on hammer and hold it forward. While holding hammer forward, cycle trigger back and forth. This checks trigger and pivot, trigger bar, trigger return spring, sear, safety lever, and firing pin block plunger (sort of).

Not a complete function check by any means, but the above should help point out where any issues may lie. After a good action job, those tests should be silky smooth.

If you are comparing a couple of guns at a gun counter, pick the best one, Not all SIGs are created equal. It is my fervent belief this is, at least in part, due to slight variables in the tolerances of MIM parts. Gone are the days of careful hand fitting on production guns. Tolerances must be loose enough to allow parts to be assembled from bins with minimal or no fussing required.

· Registered
6,350 Posts

I've owned a P229 SAS, Gen 2, 357 SIG, for about 16 months. By far, my favorite gun.

Will pick up a new M11-A1 within 2 weeks. I had a P229R, 9mm and have a P228. I know the trigger feel.

I will post about the M11 trigger as soon as I fire that new Bad Boy!

PS: Try the new P225-A1. Amazing SRT trigger on that one too!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.