SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Sig Sauer USA discontinues the P226 & P229 Nitron

25K views 114 replies 50 participants last post by  88e30m50 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
However they are bringing a New Elite 226, looks like the Legion frame undercut and beavertail with the Elite slide. The frame doesn’t have the cross hatch checkering that the legion does, just the straight line like the old nitron.

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

#4 ·
I guess they figure us old guys, who appreciate the older designs, have hit a saturation point and are no longer spending money. I mean after all, who wants to service longtime buyers, when you can make a quick buck on the plastic generation. Maybe I should do something like that with my 45 year customer base, who have paid me too much for too long. Sounds like a plan. Sell more for less. 👍

#82 ·
I guess they figure us old guys, who appreciate the older designs, have hit a saturation point and are no longer spending money. I mean after all, who wants to service longtime buyers, when you can make a quick buck on the plastic generation. Maybe I should do something like that with my 45 year customer base, who have paid me too much for too long. Sounds like a plan. Sell more for less. [emoji106]
Businesses go out of business when they think like you said.
The 226 isn't selling much anymore so they cut it from the lineup. They have to pay the bills next month, so what you bought over the last 45 years means very little.
If they don't stay competitive, they run out of money and can't pay their bills anymore.
Plastic striker guns are what's selling currently. If you dont like them, just wait a couple years it will change again.

Look at Colt, nothing new in how how many years and they no longer exist.

#14 · (Edited)
Hammer-fired pistols will be for rich old guys, dressed up in Scorpion, Nightmare, Legion or other colors, and Elite semi-limited editions. They’re higher margin and shorter production runs.

#11 ·
Buy your parts kits now, boys and girls.

#16 · (Edited)
It isn't just Sig. As unfortunate as it may be, I can't think of many other manufacturers that are digging in and sticking with all-metal, hammer-fired pistols anymore. Beretta, CZ, maybe a few others still offer them, but the pool is getting smaller and smaller. The future belongs to polymer, striker-fired guns, like it or not. Sig is not focused on the past, nor can they afford to be.

I love my metal, hammer Sigs and I'm glad I bought them when I did. I'm guessing have them for the rest of my life. But at the same time, I don't need to acquire any more. The last pistol I bought was a Legion X-Carry, and I have to say, it's pretty awesome.

Reactions: ronin11
#17 ·
It isn't just Sig. As unfortunate as it may be, I can't think of many other manufacturers that are digging in and sticking with all-metal, hammer-fired pistols anymore. Beretta, CZ, maybe a few others still offer them, but the pool is getting smaller and smaller. The future belongs to polymer, striker-fired guns, like it or not. Sig is not focused on the past, nor can they afford to be.

I love my metal, hammer Sigs and I'm glad I bought them when I did. I'll guessing have them for the rest of my life. But at the same time, I don't need to acquire any more. The last pistol I bought was a Legion X-Carry, and I have to say, it's pretty awesome.
Springfield just released their take on the all metal Browning High Power and so far they seem to be doing pretty well. There's also still dozens of manufacturers cranking out all kinds of 1911s. The world won't be all polymer for awhile yet.

#20 ·
I would not think they will exceed the value of a Legion for a few years.. But people get collector crazy and will tret these like beanie baby toys. After a few years the market will cool and the price will drop, then it will slowly go up.. that’s probably a span of 5-10 years.

#25 ·
At least they are making something in those models. Discontinuing the base model is probably just based on profitability. I don't mean that in a bad way. We want them profitable and in business the rest of our lives.

Reactions: 29124
#28 ·
No, your not missing anything.. If you navigate the site the only place it says they are getting discontinued is in the Sigsauer-New Products-Page two Area.
It doesn’t surprise me they are keeping the CA version. CA is why so many revolvers are still made. Because they are on the roster of legal guns.

#27 ·
Nobody buys the base Nitron versions, just as nobody buys the basic P320’s (hence why they’re available everywhere online at discounted prices even in a pandemic). SIG keeps introducing new, higher-feature variants… nobody wants to be caught with a “plain” SIG. It’s just not their demographic.

Now CZ, on the other hand, has a completely different buyer trend thanks to aftermarket support from companies like CGW and CZ Custom where people can buy base model guns and upgrade them to perform as well as CZ’s higher end guns for less than it would be to buy the higher end gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.