SIG Talk banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I talked to my local dealer Friday about this. He told me, they pretty much stopped making the classic p line during the last year, except for the Legions. He also said, he was told they are supposed to start back production in February. He was told that sig was concentrating on the 320 and 365, and also military contracts, but we’re in fact going to start back production. He’s been a sig dealer a long time, so I’m hoping he got his news from an official sig person/rep and he didn’t just hear rumors.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Colt still exists.Just have a new owner.
They wouldn't have got into trouble if it wasn't for states banning ARs, the union and CT taxes.
The 226 isn't selling very much anymore? do you have access to sales figures? No you don't.
Colt "still existing" is semantics.
They are gone due to having nothing new. The antique AR's they are selling for double the cost of what others sell the same thing for. Oh and only 7 states to the best of my knowledge have banned AR's, so unless I'm mistaken that means 43 still sell them.

S&W is leaving MA and several other companies left or are leaving the antigun east coast so no CT taxes is another "excuse".

As to sales figures.

They either sold a bunch and made so much money they discontinued them just to upset you or we could go down the other road and say they cut dead weight from the menu.

Which do you think is more accurate?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
That’s not always true. My business model for the last 45 years, has been to make more from less. Other than the Obama Recession, I generally stay 1-11/2 years behind in my scheduling. I make way more per man hour, than my competition. I pick and choose my clientele.

Sig went for market share at a lower price point, and that is their prerogative. That decision was made without regard to old customers like me. That is what I said earlier, and is also Sigs prerogative.
Sig also knows that putting all your eggs in one basket leads to disaster. That where the Cross Bolt comes it, they know the semi auto business is at risk.
Sig will never do away with metal frame hammer fired guns.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Sig also knows that putting all your eggs in one basket leads to disaster. That where the Cross Bolt comes it, they know the semi auto business is at risk.
Sig will never do away with metal frame hammer fired guns.
You give Sig a lot of credit for analytical thinking. Having been a Sig fan and Sig buyer for 4 decades, I can assure you that SigLogic is a term of endearment, not a descriptor of savvy business acumen. They are merely trying to stay ahead of the market, while allocating their finite manufacturing capacity towards current trends. Given their past track record, an about face without warning, can happen any day.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
You give Sig a lot of credit for analytical thinking. Having been a Sig fan and Sig buyer for 4 decades, I can assure you that SigLogic is a term of endearment, not a descriptor of savvy business acumen. They are merely trying to stay ahead of the market, while allocating their finite manufacturing capacity towards current trends. Given their past track record, an about face without warning, can happen any day.
Allocating capacity is just that, it doesn't indicate a permanent change.
Sig has 3 multi year contracts with the gummamint to fill, they take priority. The lack of metal frame guns has more to do with this than the fantasy that striker fanbois are claiming its over for metal frame hammer fired guns.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Allocating capacity is just that, it doesn't indicate a permanent change.
Sig has 3 multi year contracts with the gummamint to fill, they take priority. The lack of metal frame guns has more to do with this than the fantasy that striker fanbois are claiming its over for metal frame hammer fired guns.
This is how it was explained to me Friday. He said sig was allocating all resources to government contracts first, then the civilian striker fired, I just hope he’s correct on restarting manufacturing of the classic series in Feb

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
This is how it was explained to me Friday. He said sig was allocating all resources to government contracts first, then the civilian striker fired, I just hope he’s correct on restarting manufacturing of the classic series in Feb
So long as there is demand for hammer pistols Sig will make them. There may some compromises, such as consolidating all models onto one frame or limiting production of non-Legion pistols for a time. I expect when things normalize someday a full complement of hammer-fired Sigs will be available.

Reactions: jrgreene1968

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Why would you prefer a polymer framed 226/229 verse the current metal one?
I never said I would (and I wouldn't). I was speaking in terms of options for departments and agencies that could better afford a P226 or P229 with a polymer frame.

Reactions: dpadams6

·
Registered
459 Posts
I never said I would (and I wouldn't). I was speaking in terms of options for departments and agencies that could better afford a P226 or P229 with a polymer frame.
Ah, OK...I absolutely love my p229 in 357sig. The only thing better on this planet, is my all stainless 229 in 357 sig.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Ah, OK...I absolutely love my p229 in 357sig. The only thing better on this planet, is my all stainless 229 in 357 sig.
That all stainless is a unicorn for sure. I wish SIG would bring that back because I agree, a stainless steel-framed P229 chambered in .357 SIG is the only thing I might prefer over my P229 Enhanced Elite chambered in that same caliber.

·
Registered
459 Posts
That all stainless is a unicorn for sure. I wish SIG would bring that back because I agree, a stainless steel-framed P229 chambered in .357 SIG is the only thing I might prefer over my P229 Enhanced Elite chambered in that same caliber.
Oh yes. It's so darn pretty and built like a tank to last forever....Lol lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I talked to my local dealer Friday about this. He told me, they pretty much stopped making the classic p line during the last year, except for the Legions. He also said, he was told they are supposed to start back production in February. He was told that sig was concentrating on the 320 and 365, and also military contracts, but we’re in fact going to start back production. He’s been a sig dealer a long time, so I’m hoping he got his news from an official sig person/rep and he didn’t just hear rumors.
They are moving a number of new CNC machines into the Rochester facility where for one barrel machining will be moved. Until they get they up and running the production line is going to be concentrating on core products. Rochester is huge so it will take some time to complete.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wonder how much lead time is involved in determining the production mix? Does the lead time include material procurement as well? If there’s a lengthy lead time, it might just be a matter of poor planning and not completely about focusing on new designs at the expense of old ones.

If Sig is sitting on a reserve of quality steel, stainless ingots and the right type of aluminum, then lead times would be shorter. If a batch of P226s starts with procurement of the needed metals, then it might drag things out a bit.

I have no idea what Sig does and am just wondering. The ability to obtain aluminum might impact their decision to focus on poly if that’s more readily available. Again, just thinking about the whole process end to end

101 - 115 of 115 Posts