SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sig 716i arrived Wednesday. And I was able to shoot and sight it in Thursday. I really do like the rifle a lot, the only thing I'm not that keen on is the trigger. It's a really stout single stage trigger. I see that Sig sells a two stage that they advertise at 5 lbs. pull (the second stage). I really need to get a trigger gauge, but I think the trigger that comes with the 716 must be about 7 or so pounds. It is pretty stout.

Has anyone used this Sig two stage? Any comments about it, good or bad?

I'm familiar with and have a Geissele SSA, and may end up getting one for this Sig. But I'm also curious about Sigs trigger. I wonder since it's half the price of the Geissele because you're getting what you paid for.

Reactions: Nilla

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here is my opinion. I am a Geissele trigger snob. I have currently have seven AR rifles and all have Geissele triggers. I have the SSA, the SSA-E, and the Super Tricon (basically a SSA with a slightly different trigger blade). They are superb triggers, and the installation of a Geissele trigger is the first thing I do when I acquire a new AR rifle. However, I have acquired a couple of MCX Virtus rifles this past year, both came with the Sig Match Duo 2-stage trigger (or whatever they call it). These are excellent triggers, so much so that so far I have not replaced them with Geissele models. Are they as good as a Geissele? Probably not, but they are very close, and on the MCX the Geissele is a $325 cost, if you can find one available. So far I have not been able to convince myself to change the triggers out.

Now, for your 716i (beautiful gun, by the way) a SSA or an SSA-E retails for around $240 or so. The Sig Match Duo usually retails for around $149. For that difference in cost, I would go with the Geissele (which model depends on what kind of trigger feel you want). If $ is tight, then go with the Sig Match Duo. It will be a big improvement over what came with your 716i, and I think you would be happy with it. Bottom lline . . . the Match Duo is an excellent trigger. Not quite as good as a Geissele SSA, but still very good. If the cost is not a factor for you, then go with the Geissele. But if you choose the Sig you will have an excellent trigger.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Geissele is an excellent trigger. I have several even a couple of SSA-E. They are great for target or precision purposes, but I wouldn't recommend for HD as I believe the trigger is to light. I have an SSA-E on my 716 Patrol and a GS2 on a couple of my other AR's that are potential HD but more between range shooting and HD. For HD I stick with the mil spec standard if it isn't gritty (7# is the norm). On a couple I put in the cheaper NM trigger at $90 which is actually a good step up and that is in my dedicated HD weapon.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my opinion. I am a Geissele trigger snob. I have currently have seven AR rifles and all have Geissele triggers. I have the SSA, the SSA-E, and the Super Tricon (basically a SSA with a slightly different trigger blade). They are superb triggers, and the installation of a Geissele trigger is the first thing I do when I acquire a new AR rifle. However, I have acquired a couple of MCX Virtus rifles this past year, both came with the Sig Match Duo 2-stage trigger (or whatever they call it). These are excellent triggers, so much so that so far I have not replaced them with Geissele models. Are they as good as a Geissele? Probably not, but they are very close, and on the MCX the Geissele is a $325 cost, if you can find one available. So far I have not been able to convince myself to change the triggers out.

Now, for your 716i (beautiful gun, by the way) a SSA or an SSA-E retails for around $240 or so. The Sig Match Duo usually retails for around $149. For that difference in cost, I would go with the Geissele (which model depends on what kind of trigger feel you want). If $ is tight, then go with the Sig Match Duo. It will be a big improvement over what came with your 716i, and I think you would be happy with it. Bottom lline . . . the Match Duo is an excellent trigger. Not quite as good as a Geissele SSA, but still very good. If the cost is not a factor for you, then go with the Geissele. But if you choose the Sig you will have an excellent trigger.
Thanks, I appreciate your input and your experience with both Sig dual stage and the Geissele . I do own one Geissele SSA on a recent CMMG rifle I purchased, it came with it from CMMG. I can relate to being a trigger snob, the SSA is a nice trigger. And you're right, for a $100 bill, why not get the better of the two.

She is a pretty nice rifle, very well made and tight.

Thanks! (y)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sig's mil-spec triggers are like dragging boat anchors on gravel roads, needed upgrade for sure. I love the Geissele triggers, have SSA, SSA-E, and NM versions, all great. For the money the Larue MBT triggers are hands down the best value for dollar, not gonna replace that National Match trigger but they are every bit a SSA. I'm at over a dozen of them now and they have all had the same great feel. They have several new varieties now;

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geissele is an excellent trigger. I have several even a couple of SSA-E. They are great for target or precision purposes, but I wouldn't recommend for HD as I believe the trigger is to light. I have an SSA-E on my 716 Patrol and a GS2 on a couple of my other AR's that are potential HD but more between range shooting and HD. For HD I stick with the mil spec standard if it isn't gritty (7# is the norm). On a couple I put in the cheaper NM trigger at $90 which is actually a good step up and that is in my dedicated HD weapon.
I agree, the SSA-E is not for a patrol or defense environment. The SSA is for law enforcement, military, CQB, etc. More of what I would be interested in. The OEM trigger doesn't feel gritty, but I'm sure if it were polished it would feel a little better. It's just stiff, and the break almost feels like you went over a slight bump then breaks. I need to shoot it some more and get a better feel for it other than just one day.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sig's mil-spec triggers are like dragging boat anchors on gravel roads, needed upgrade for sure. I love the Geissele triggers, have SSA, SSA-E, and NM versions, all great. For the money the Larue MBT triggers are hands down the best value for dollar, not gonna replace that National Match trigger but they are every bit a SSA. I'm at over a dozen of them now and they have all had the same great feel. They have several new varieties now;

I'll look at the LaRue offerings too. That may be a viable replacement for me.

Thanks for the link, I had not heard of them before you posted.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Oh I guess I'm a trigger snob with years of hunting with lite trigger pulls and a few 22lr that have lite pull weights . I would have side to look hard at Hyperfire as the Hypertouch models can be a single stag with a 2lb break weight up to 4lb or a 2 stage with a total pull weight of 3.5 to 4lb and all strike harder than mil spec triggers do.

My wife and I have a pair of older 24c triggers that break at 2lb 5oz average. We still have one RRA 9mm trigger in our 9mm AR fun gun that is tuned to a 3lb 7oz average break weight running JP yellow spring . Thats the heaviest long gun trigger break weight we own .

You may want to try JP Yellow springs since you have allready invested money in sig trigger and see if that makes your set up useable enough .

HIPERTOUCH® Family (hiperfire.com)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree, the SSA-E is not for a patrol or defense environment. The SSA is for law enforcement, military, CQB, etc. More of what I would be interested in. The OEM trigger doesn't feel gritty, but I'm sure if it were polished it would feel a little better. It's just stiff, and the break almost feels like you went over a slight bump then breaks. I need to shoot it some more and get a better feel for it other than just one day.

Thanks!
I have an SD-E trigger (Same as the SSA-E trigger but with a flat bow) that I'm using for HD. I do plan to switch it to an SD-C whenever I can get my hands on one, but for now I don't see a problem with the SD-E on a HD firearm.

That being said, the trigger is pretty light so I see why some wouldn't recommend not using it for HD.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have Geissles and the SIG Match Lite Duo on two MCXs. The first stage on the SIG is a bit shorter than G. The second stage can be a bit "musshy" but not too bad. One of my Geissele MCX SSAs has worse creep. Another Geissele MCX trigger is perfect.

The best bargain triggers are LaRue MBTs followed by the Geissele G2S model.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thing I'm going to have to try one of the LaRue triggers, the MBT-2S.
From what you guys tell me, and a few Youtube reviews I watched since I learned of LaRue here, it does sound like a really good trigger. Especially for the money. If for some reason it's not as good as I expected, I can move this to an AR I have, and get the Geissele for this Sig.
But I suspect it will be to my liking.

The feedback is appreciated guys.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
In my opinion, the MBT is LaRue's loss leader, i.e., it's what he is using to get better known. LaRue makes scope mounts that I like and offers red dot with mount combinations for a reasonable price.

If an MBT breaks, LaRue usually gives great service.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my opinion, the MBT is LaRue's loss leader, i.e., it's what he is using to get better known. LaRue makes scope mounts that I like and offers red dot with mount combinations for a reasonable price.

If an MBT breaks, LaRue usually gives great service.

Bill
That's possibly very likely. I was searching for trigger info, but his name didn't come to my searching I found out here.

I was wondering how he was making them and selling them at that price. I mean super high volume mass production, sure. I know that if I like the trigger, I'll gladly give recommendations for his product.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've got the M400 Trend with Sig trigger upgrade from the standard trigger that came with my 5.56 and its a notable difference than standard mil-spec trigger it came with it. The Trigger Kit, AR, Two Stage Match Duo (sigsauer.com) when dry fire I could tell the big difference. Very little creep its no Geissele or La Rue I guess don't have either one of those. I've a few drop in's RA-140 SS and RA-535 and I've a few Aero Precision 2-stage Nickel-Boron triggers and it comparable to those. I don't hunt or shoot professionally just love to shoot my rifles.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm not a pro shooter either. The trigger is the only thing I really see that could be improved on this rifle. At least for my use of it. There are always some guys whos shooing skills are more advanced than stock off the shelf rifle has to offer. They need better or more upgrades than I do.

Oh, and an ambidextrous wider charging handle.

Reactions: Nilla

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm not a pro shooter either. The trigger is the only thing I really see that could be improved on this rifle. At lease for my use of it. There are always some guys whos shooing skills are more advanced than stock off the shelf rifle has to offer. They need better or more upgrades than I do.

Oh, and an ambidextrous wider charging handle.
Ok you got me on ambidextrous wider charging handle and now I'm a bit of a Radian guy but lately hard to find and $$ plus I see prices are increasing by $10 across the board on their website. On Radian site their having some issues over there with new website since Thanksgiving but orders are taken 4 and 6 weeks to ship. I found Radian on Spike Tactical and it's cheaper and the same LT model except for spike logo but I like it. $56 plus shipping, taxes 68$ out the door shipping can't go wrong I think. It's going in my latest 5.56 AR 7.5" pistol build plus ordered and got in like 4 days from Florida.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
In my opinion, the MBT is LaRue's loss leader, i.e., it's what he is using to get better known.
I agree, a great introductory price to the quality that is LaRue Tactical, would've hooked me if I hadn't already been on the line. If Mark LaRue sells it you better believe it's quality and you can be sure he will stand behind it, that said Giessele is very much the same in respects of quality and customer service.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Gei$$ele is way over priced. If there's no firing pin lock, LaRue is the way to go. I have a couple of them. I have a Gei$$ele too but haven't installed it.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
A correction to post #2. The trigger in my PA10 is the SSA-E. This is strictly a hunting and long range rifle. The SSA is the perfect choice for a SBR or defense rifle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts