SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, currently an owner of a brand new SP2022 that after 10 days is back at the factory for diagnosis and repair. My first Sig and my first experience with Sig. My dad is a Sig owner and I am trying to remain optimistic. You see I have my eye on a Sig P229 Nitro or Elite. I am reading a lot of stuff online including this lawsuit that NJ just filed for the P229 specifically. Long story, short... I am getting cold feet. I would hate to drop that kind of money just to have to send it back to Sig. I need help and experience to make a decision. A lot of you guys have a ton of experience so I am open to suggestions and opinions. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry that you are having a bad experience with your SP2022. That is discouraging. I hope that Sig gets it running right for you.

Guns are machines, so they occasionally have issues, but I am convinced that you can buy a P229 with confidence. They are a quality gun. I have two, a M11-A1 in 9 MM and an older one in 40 S&W with an extra 357 sig barrel. I am very pleased with both of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome all.
Yes after the SP2022 debacle I am neurotically digging. So I want to make sure I am making the right purchase. Which version do you all recommend. Mainer I was also looking at the M11-A1 and well as the Enhanced Elite. Both in 9mm. The SP2022 is a .40 and I dig the caliber (but it was having feeding issues, that's why it's back at Sig) and now I am all hung up on a .40 will deem more problems. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Having no experience with the 2022 or any other plastic Sig I do have 6 229's, 2 M11's and dozens of other Sig's I can honestly say that I have never had a malfunction with any of them and in my opinion the 229 (like others have said) is the finest weapon of it's type.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Hi all, currently an owner of a brand new SP2022 that after 10 days is back at the factory for diagnosis and repair. My first Sig and my first experience with Sig. My dad is a Sig owner and I am trying to remain optimistic. You see I have my eye on a Sig P229 Nitro or Elite. I am reading a lot of stuff online including this lawsuit that NJ just filed for the P229 specifically. Long story, short... I am getting cold feet. I would hate to drop that kind of money just to have to send it back to Sig. I need help and experience to make a decision. A lot of you guys have a ton of experience so I am open to suggestions and opinions. Thanks all.
My Suggestion? Buy a LEO former owned weapon. Most of them are armory maintained and have less then 3K rounds fired. Clean it thoroughly (Degrease it completely) and then properly lubericate it. Shoot the Heck out of it. it is already "Imperfect" so you can feel comfortable about it. If you find you don't trust or like it, you can sell it (usually) for what you paid for it.

I have bought and sold 3 of them Never lost a dollar, had a LOT of fun, and never had a Hiccup with any ammunition in an of the 3 calibers (.40, 9mm, or 357 SIG).

Get to like the Chevy first, Then buy the Corvette.

Reactions: 229xtrm

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
FTF on racking.
There are a lot of guys on here that can give better advice on your feeding issue than I am able to, but it looks like your feeding ramp is picking up some brass color from the bullet as it passes by. I wonder if this indicates that the ramp is a little rough and needs to be polished. Probably a moot point since you have sent it back to Sig.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome all.
Yes after the SP2022 debacle I am neurotically digging. So I want to make sure I am making the right purchase. Which version do you all recommend. Mainer I was also looking at the M11-A1 and well as the Enhanced Elite. Both in 9mm. The SP2022 is a .40 and I dig the caliber (but it was having feeding issues, that's why it's back at Sig) and now I am all hung up on a .40 will deem more problems. Thoughts?
I don't think that .40 S&W will be more problematic than any other caliber. If you like .40, I would say go for it. The advantage of a 40 over a 9MM is that converting to 357 Sig is very easy, and I think 357 Sig is a great caliber.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
Welcome from Texas.
I would not worry about it.
O'm planning on purchasing a P229 Equinox at the GS Tomorrow.
There was one in 9MM at a show last month. Hope its still available
or there is another one. I passed last month and got a P220 SSE in 10MM

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,018 Posts
zangrey, welcome to Sig Talk, from the southwest corner of Indiana. Sorry about you experience with the 2022. In you photo array, you showed both "clean" and "dirty" jams, with the "clean" first. Are we to assume the clean meant after you cleaned and lubed it before shooting, or just before shooting it the first time?
Sigs in general, are fairly tight tolerance pistols, with stiff when new springs. They normally come all slathered up in preservative type grease and oil to prevent corrosion while possibly sitting in a warehouse, or backroom for some time.
That is why we normally suggest cleaning a new pistol, and properly lubricating it prior to shooting it. Until it has had a few hundred rounds through it to break it in, it is possible to have an occasional failure of some sort.
Since you didn't state, I assume your problems were constant, therefore you took advantage of Sigs warranty.

As far as which P229 to get, I guess it would be dependent on its intended use. If it is for concealed carry, I would suggest a model without a rail. That narrows the field a bit, as most have a rail. The M11A1 in 9mm would be a possibility, but if you want a .40 S&W, to avert stocking another caliber, then you would need to look for an SAS model from the Custom Shop, or as mentioned previously an older model, possibly a LE turn in, or a "CPO" (Certified Pre-Owned) Sig, that has a 1 year warranty. Check out Gun Broker, for a sampling of what is out there.

Good Luck finding your new Sig, and hope you will be pleased when your 2022 returns!

Reactions: SlySleuth

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Willard. The pictures were not in order. I am still getting used to how to post in this forum. At the point that the SP2022 pictures were taken I had put 420 rounds through it. I wanted to be sure it was good and "broken in" before I got Sig involved. It happened at the range and I even had the gun gurus that work there take a look and they agreed that what was happening was not normal, nor a user issue. So I then called Sig.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Suggestion? Buy a LEO former owned weapon. Most of them are armory maintained and have less then 3K rounds fired. Clean it thoroughly (Degrease it completely) and then properly lubericate it. Shoot the Heck out of it. it is already "Imperfect" so you can feel comfortable about it. If you find you don't trust or like it, you can sell it (usually) for what you paid for it.

I have bought and sold 3 of them Never lost a dollar, had a LOT of fun, and never had a Hiccup with any ammunition in an of the 3 calibers (.40, 9mm, or 357 SIG).

Get to like the Chevy first, Then buy the Corvette.

I second this. I got my police trade in 229 with new trijicon hd night sights and it was only a year old for 500. I added the srt and hogue grips and it is my favorite gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.